- Volume 27 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Detailed Analysis of the Part Load Ratio and Cooling Energy Characteristics of Chiller Operation in an Office Building
사무소 건물에서 냉동기의 부분부하율 및 냉방 에너지 성능 특성 분석
- Received : 2015.07.16
- Accepted : 2015.09.10
- Published : 2015.11.10
Commercial buildings account for significant portions of the total building energy in Korea, and thus, a variety of research on chiller operation has been carried out. However, most of the studies were carried out on the chiller itself, i.e., the part load ratio characteristics and the corresponding electricity energy consumption patterns were not analyzed in existing studies. In this study, the part load ratio and the operating characteristics of the vapor compression chiller were analyzed within an office building equipped with the conventional variable air volume system. As a result, significant portions of total operating hours, cooling load, and energy consumption turned out to be in the part load ratio range of 0 through 50%. Thus, energy consumption was significantly affected by the chiller COP at low part load conditions, indicating that chiller operation at the part load is an important factor in commercial buildings.
Commercial building;Part load ratio;Chiller staging;Coefficient of performance;EnergyPlus
- Seo, B. M., Lee, D. E., Lee, K. H., and Jin, G. I., 2014, Economic Analysis of Geothermal Heat Pump System in an Office Building, Korean Institute of Architectural Sustainable Environment and Building Systems (KIAEBS), pp. 77-78.
- Um, G. H., 2006, A study on the energy consumption and the capacity of the HVAC system in office buildings, PhD's Dissertation, Chungwoon University, HongSeong.
- Korea Energy Economics Institute, 2012, 2011 Energy Consumption Survey, Ministry of Knowledge Economy.
- Lee, W. J., Kang, E. C., Lee, E. J., Oh, B. C., and Shin, U. C., 2013, A Study on the Operation Performance of Central Plant Equipment According to Part Load Characteristics, Korean Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering, Vol. 25, pp. 392-397. https://doi.org/10.6110/KJACR.2013.25.7.392
- Park, Y. and Jung, S. S., 2002, Life Cycle Costing through Operating Number Control of Air Conditioning Systems in Office Buildings. Korean Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering, Vol. 14, pp. 981-988.
- Yoon, K. C., Part, D. Y., Yun, G., Kim, Y. M., Kim, Y. S., and Kim, K. S., 2013, The Heating Energy Saving Effect by Operating Number Control of Boilers in Office Building. Korean Institute of Architectural Sustainable Environment and Building Systems(KIAEBS), Vol. 7, pp. 120-125.
- Crawley, D. B., Lawrie, L. K., Winkelmann, F. C., Buhl, W. F., Huang, H. J., Pedersen, C. O., Strand, R. K., Liesen, R. J., Fisher, D. E., Witte, M. J., Glazer, J., 2001, EnergyPlus : creating a new-generation building energy simulation program, Energy and Buildings, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 319-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7788(00)00114-6
- ASHRAE Fundamentals Handbook, 2009, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc.
- Kim, S. U., 2014, Technology of Energy Simulation, International Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration, Vol. 43, pp. 23-38.
- EnergyPlus, Testing and Validation, http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/testing.cfm.
- ASHRAE, 2013, ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 62.1-2013-Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality.
- EnergyPlus Engineering Reference, 2011, Simulation Models and Encyclopedic Reference.
- Detailed Analysis on Operation Characteristics and Cooling Energy Saving Effect of Chiller Staging in an Office Building vol.28, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6110/KJACR.2016.28.4.137
- Recent Progress in Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Research : A Review of Papers Published in the Korean Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering in 2015 vol.28, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6110/KJACR.2016.28.6.256
Grant : 바닥 공조 적용 에너지 절약형 성층화 기술 및 디퓨저 개발
Supported by : 중소기업청