- Volume 31 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Architectural Design Affecting the Risk of Sex Offenses in Subway Stations
지하철역사 내 성폭력범죄 발생에 영향을 주는 건축계획특성 연구
- Kang, Kyung-Yeon ;
- Kim, Min-Woo ;
- Lee, Kyung-Hoon
- 강경연 ;
- 김민우 ;
- Received : 2015.03.05
- Accepted : 2015.11.13
- Published : 2015.11.30
The purpose of this study was to deduce implications for the improvement in subway station for crime prevention based on the comprehensive analysis of the results of crime data analysis, expert interview, and computer simulation. To deduce characteristics of architectural design affecting the risk of sex offenses, passenger data, architectural documents, and crime data of seventeen non-transfer stations which have similar circumstance characteristics were investigated. And for simulating how passengers move from platform to ticket gate in stations, the Simulex was used. The results showed that the higher sexual crime rate of the station is correlated with the place where the congestion and crowding occurs. In conclusion, the architectural design elements of subway station which cause the passenger congestion were summarized and measures of architectural design for crime prevention in subway station were suggested.
Subway Station;Sex Offenses;CPTED;Simulex;Congestion
- Hwang, J. (2003). Crime in seoul metropolitan subway system. Korean Institute of Criminology, 3(5), 13-167.
- Jo, Y. (2011). Exploring Determinant Factors on the Fear of Subway Sexual Assault Crime in the Seoul Metropolitan Lines. Ph.D. Dissertation, Hanyang University.
- Kim, H. & Roh, S. (2012). Preventing subway crimes : focusing on sexual offenses in the seoul metropolitan subway. The Korea Contents Society, 12(3), 190-205. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.03.190
- Lee, J. (2013). An analysis of the current state of subway sex offenses by type and effective countermeasures. Korea Association of Criminal psychology. 9(1), 175-196.
- Park, B. & Lee, K. (2012). A study on evacuation performance for various subway station categories during acts of terror or fires. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea (Planning & Design), 28(10), 73-82.
- Seoul Metropolitan Government. (2013). Safety Service Guidelines in Subway Station. Seoul, Seoul Metropolitan Government.
- Shim, H. (2013). Sex Crime in Metropolitan Subway Settings. Thesis, Dongguk University.