- Volume 29 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Study on Design Optimization of Degasser Baffles using CFD
전산유체역학을 이용한 Degasser Baffle최적설계 연구
Sur, Jong-Mu;Im, Hyonam;Lee, In-Su;Lee, Heesung;Choi, Jaewoong
- Received : 2015.09.03
- Accepted : 2015.10.22
- Published : 2015.10.31
A degasser is a separation unit used in drilling to separate gas from the drilling mud. The degasser used in offshore drilling was developed at an early stage of drilling. Since its development, the design of the degasser’s internal structure has been optimized, with many limitations due to the restrictions of experimental and computational performance measurement methods. Despite the recent development of CFD technology for multiphase flow analysis, CFD has only been used in a limited way for degasser internal flow analysis and design optimization. In this study, a design optimization procedure for a degasser’s internal structure design was proposed, and CFD analyses of three types of internal structural designs were performed to evaluate the separation performance. The CFD result for each design type was used for the design optimization and, as the result, an optimized design is proposed.
Degasser;Degasser baffle;Mud handling system;Computational fluid dynamics;Design optimization
- Im, H.N., Lee, H.W., Lee, I.S., Choi, J.W., 2014. Numerical Study of Agitation Performance in a Drilling Mud Mixing Tank to Non-Newtonian Rheological Properties. The KSFM Journal of Fluid Machinery, 17(6), 29-37. https://doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2014.17.6.029
- Irgens, F., 2014. Rheology and Non-Newtonian Fluids. 1st Edition, Springer International, Switzerland.
- Khorshidi, J., Niazi, S., Davari, H., Mahmeli Abyaneh, M., Mahmoodzadeh, A., 2013. Turbulent Modeling for Non-Newtonian Fluid in an Eccentric Annulus. Canadian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences., 7(2), 2425-2430.
- Mme, U., Skalle, P., 2012. CFD Calculations of Cuttings Transport through Drilling Annuli at Various Angles. International Journal of Petroleum Science and Technology, 6(2), 129-141.
- Peebles, F.N., Garber, H.J., 1953. Studies on Motion of Gas Bubbles in Liquids. Chemical Engineering Progress, 49(2), 88-97.
- Pereira, F., Barrozo, M., Ataide, C., 2007. CFD Predictions of Drilling Fluid Velocity and Pressure Profiles in Laminar Gelical Flow. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 24(4), 587-595. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0104-66322007000400011
- Perry, R.H., Greeh, D.W., 1999. Perry’s Chemical Engineers’ Handbook. 7th Edition, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Robinson, L., 2014. Solids Control Manual for Drilling Personnel, Derrick Equipment Company, Houston.
- ASME Shale Shaker Committee, 2005. Drilling Fluids Processing Handbook. 1st Edition, Elsevier, Oxford.
- Caenn, R., Darley, H.C.H., Gray, G.R., 2011. Composition and Properties of Drilling and Completion Fluids. 6th Edition, Elsevier, Oxford.
- Dular, M., Bajcar, T., Slemenik-Perse, L., Zumer, M., Sirok, B., 2006. Numerical Simulation and Experimental Study of Non-Newtonian Mixing Flow with a Free Surface. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 23(4), 473-486. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0104-66322006000400005
- Holland, F.A., Bragg, R., 1995. Fluid Flow for Chemical Engineers. 2nd Edition, Edward Arnold, London.