- Volume 29 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Reliability Analysis of Gravity-based Offshore Wind Turbine Foundation Considering Ocean Environmental Loads and Soil Uncertainty
해양환경하중 및 지반의 불확실성을 고려한 중력식 해상풍력 기초의 신뢰성 해석
Lee, Sang Geun;Kim, Dong Hyawn
- Received : 2014.11.21
- Accepted : 2015.10.22
- Published : 2015.10.31
A reliability analysis of the gravity-based foundation of anoffshore wind turbine was performed by considering the uncertainties of the design variables, including environmental loads. The limit state functions of the gravity-based foundation were defined using the response limits of the support structures suggested in the DNV standard. The wind load couldbe obtained using the GH_bladed software, and the wave load was calculated using the Morison equation. Then, the extreme distributions of the wind and wave loads were estimated by applying the peak over threshold (POT) method to the wind and wave load data. The probability distribution characteristics of the soil properties were defined with reference to a southwest coast geotechnical survey report. The reliability index was evaluated for each failure mode using a first-order reliability method.
Offshore wind turbine;Gravity-based foundation;Reliability analysis;First-order reliability method(FORM)
- Jonkman, J., Butterfield, S., Musial, W., Scott, G., 2009. Definition of a 5-MW Reference Wind Turbine for Offshore System Development. NREL/TP-500-38060, NREL: Golden CO.
- Kisse, A., Lesny, K., 2007. Reliability-Based Design of the Foundation of an Offshore Wind Energy Converter Using the Single Surface Hardening Model. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, Tokyo, Japan, 129-136.
- Kirkegaard, P.H., Enevoldsen, I., Sorensen, J.D., Brincker, R., 1990. Reliability Analysis of a Mono-tower Platform. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 112(3), 237-243. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2919862
- Lee, J.H., Kim, M.H., Shin, S.C., Lee, Y.S., 2014. Design Optimization and Reliability Analysis of Jacket Support Structure for 5-MW Offshore Wind Turbine. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 28(3), 218-226. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2014.28.3.218
- Morison, J.R., Johnson, J.W., Schaaf, S.A., 1950. The Force Exerted by Surface Waves On Piles. Journal of Petroleum Technology, 2(05), 149-154. https://doi.org/10.2118/950149-G
- Peire, K., Nonneman, H., Bosschem, E., 2009. Gravity Base Foundations for the Thornton Bank Offshore Wind Farm. Terra et Aqua, 115, 19-29.
- Vahdatirad, M.J., Griffiths, D.V., Andersen, L.V., Sørensen, J.D., Fenton, G.A., 2014. Reliability Analysis of a Gravity-based Foundation for Wind Turbines: a Code-based Design Assessment. Journal of Geotechnique, 64(8), 635-645. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.13.P.152
- American Petroleum Institute (API), 2007. Recommended Practice for Planning, Design and Constructing Fixed Offshore Platforms-Working Stress Design. API Recommended Practice 2A-WSD(RP 2A-WSD).
- Carswell, W., Arwade, S.R., DeGroot, D.J., Lackner, M.A., 2014. Soil–structure Reliability of Offshore Wind Turbine Monopile Foundations. Wind Energy.
- Coles, S., Bawa, J., Trenner, L., Dorazio, P., 2001. An Introduction to Statistical Modeling of Extreme Values (Vol. 208). London: Springer.
- Cossa, N.J., Potty, N.S., Liew, M.S., Idrus, A.B., 2011. Reliability Analysis of Tubular Joints of Offshore Platforms in Malaysia, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 60, 838-844.
- Cheng P. W., 2002. A reliability based design methodology for extreme responses of offshore wind turbines. PhD Thesis. Delft University of Technology.
- Garrad Hassan (GH), 2013. Bladed User Manual. Garrad Hassan and Partners Limited Document.
- Det Norske Veritas (DNV), 2013. Offshore Standard DNV-OS-J101: Design of Offshore Wind Turbine Structures. Det Norske Veritas AS.
- Det Norske Veritas (DNV), 2012. Recommended Practice DNV-RP-C207: Statistical Representation of Soil Data. Det Norske Veritas AS.
- Hasofer, A.M., Lind, N.C., 1974. Exact and Invariant Second-Moment Code Format. Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division, ASCE, 100(1), 111-121.
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), 2005. IEC 61400-1: Wind Turbines-Part 1: Design Requirements. Edition 3, Switzerland, IEC