- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characterization of Mineralogical and Physicochemical Properties of Soils Contaminated with Metals at Gahak Mine
가학광산 주변 중금속 함유 토양입자의 이화학적·광물학적 특성연구
Lee, Choong Hyun;Lee, Seon Yong;Park, Chan Oh;Kim, Jong Won;Lee, Sang Hwan;Park, Mi Jeong;Jung, Moon Young;Lee, Young Jae
- Received : 2015.06.30
- Accepted : 2015.08.03
- Published : 2015.08.31
Soil samples collected in an area of Gahak Mine were investigated for the characterization of mineralogical and physicochemical properties of contaminants in soils. It is found that soils in the study area are contaminated by lead (Pb), copper (Cu), zinc (Zn), cadmium (Cd), in which their concentrations are 595.3 mg/kg, 184.9 mg/kg, 712.8 mg/kg, and 10.64 mg/kg, respectively. All the concentrations exceed the concern criteria of Korean standard. Upon distribution patterns of metals identified by the sequential extraction procedure, our results show that more than 50% of metals are found as a residual type, and 30% are accounted for the association of Fe/Mn oxides. Interestingly, XRD results show that minium (Pb3O4) and cuprite (Cu2O) are identified in the soil samples, suggesting that the sources of the contaminants for Pb and Cu are these minerals. In SEM images, tens of µm of Pb oxides and Pb silicate-minerals are observed. We, therefore, note that the contamination of metals in the study area results from the direct influx and disturbance of tailings. Our findings indicate that the characterization of physicochemical and mineralogical properties of contaminated soils is a critical factor and plays an important role in optimizing recovery treatments of soils contaminated in mine development areas.
Mineralogical properties;Contaminant speciation;Tailings;heavy metals;Soil contamination
- Yoo, S.H., Ro, K.J., Lee, S.M., Park, M.E., and Kim, K.H., 1996, Distribution of Cadmium, Copper, Lead, and Zinc in Paddy Soils around an Old Zinc Mine, Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer, 29(4), 424-431.
- Macklin, M.G., Brewer, P.A., Balteanu, D., Coulthard, T.J., Driga, B., Howard, A.J., and Zaharia, S., 2003, The long term fate and environmental significance of contaminant metals released by the January and March 2000 mining tailings dam failures in Maramures, County, upper Tisa Basin, Romania., Appl. Geochem., 18, 241-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-2927(02)00123-3
- Ok, Y.S., Kim, S.H., Kim, D.Y., Lee, H., Lim, S.K., and Kim, J.G., 2003, Feasibility of Phytoremediation for Metal-Contaminated Abandoned Mining Area, Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer, 36(5), 323-332.
- Singh, M., Sharma, M., and Tobschall, H.J., 2005, Weathering of the Ganga alluvial plain, northern India: implications from fluvial geochemistry of the Gomati River, Applied Geochemistry, 20, 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apgeochem.2004.07.005
- Smedley, P.L. and Kinniburgh, D.G., 2002, A review of the source, behaviour and distribution of arsenic in natural waters, Applied Geochemistry, 17, 517-568. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-2927(02)00018-5
- Tessier, A., Campbell, P.G.C., and Bisson, M., 1979, Sequential Extraction Procedure for the Speciation of Particulate Trace Metals, Analytical Chemistry, 51, 844-851. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac50043a017
- Van Damme, A., Degryse, F., Smolders, E., Sarret, G., Dewit, J., Swennen, R., and Manceau, A., 2010, Zinc speciation in mining and smelter contaminated overbank sediments by EXAFS spectroscopy, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 74, 3707-3720. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2010.03.032
- Walker, S.R. and Jamieson, H.E., 2005, The speciation of arsenic in iron oxides in mine wastes from the giant gold mine, N.W.T.: Application of synchrotron micro-XRD and micro-XANES at the grain scale, The Canadian Mineralogist, 43, 1205-1224. https://doi.org/10.2113/gscanmin.43.4.1205
- Yang, J.W. and Lee, Y.J., 2007, Status of Soil Remediation and Technology Development in Korea, Korean Chemical Engineering Research, 45(4), 311-318.
- Bowell, R.J., Morley, N.H., and Din, V.K., 1994, Arsenic spedation in soil porewaters from the Ashanti Mine, Ghana, Appl. Geochem., 9, 15-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-2927(94)90048-5
- Chakraborty, S., Wolthers, M., Chatterjee, D., and Charlet, L., 2007, Adsorption of arsenite and arsenate onto muscovite and biotite mica, J. Coll. Interface Sci., 309, 392-401. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2006.10.014
- Dermont, G., Bergeron, M., Mercier, G., and Richer-Lafleche, M., 2008, Soil washing for metal removal: A review of physical/chemical technologies and field applications, J. Hazrd. Mater., 152, 1-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.10.043
- Hopenhayn, C., 2006, Arsenic in Drinking Water: Impact on Human Health, Elements, 2, 103-107. https://doi.org/10.2113/gselements.2.2.103
- Jung, K.C., Kim, B.J., and Han, S.G., 1993, Survey on Heavy Metals Contents in Native Plant near Old Zinc - Mining Sites, Korean J. Environ. Agric., 12(2), 105-111.
- Jung, G.B., Kim, W.I., Park, K.L., and Yun, S.G., 2001, Vertical Distribution of Heavy Metals in Paddy Soil Near Abandoned Metal Mines, Korean J. Environ. Agric., 20(4), 297-302.
- Jung, M.C., Jung, M.Y., and Choi, Y.W., 2004, Environmental Assessment of Heavy Metals Around Abandoned Metalliferous Mine in Korea, Economic and Environmental Geology, 37(1), 21-33.
- Knight, R.D. and Henderson, P.J., 2006, Smelter dust in humus around Rouyn-Noranda, Québec, Geochemistry: Exploration. Environment, Analysis, 6, 203-214.
- Liu, H., Probst, A., and Liao, B., 2005, Metal contamination of soils and crops affected by the Chenzhou lead/zinc mine spill (Hunan, China), Sci. Total Environ., 339, 153-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2004.07.030
Grant : 미시적 해석을 통한 금속이온이 도핑된 나노 인산염 광물입자의 형성과 전이 및 반응메커니즘 이해