- Volume 25 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Characterization of Buffeting Noise Through a Rear Window in an Automobile Using LBM
격자 볼츠만법을 이용한 자동차 뒷 창문 버페팅 소음 특성해석
Lee, Songjune;Choi, Hyunggyu;Cho, Munhwan;Ih, Kang-duck;Cheong, Cheolung
- Received : 2015.09.03
- Accepted : 2015.10.07
- Published : 2015.10.20
Buffeting noise through a rear window in an automobile is investigated by using lattice Boltzmann method. The generation mechanism of the buffeting noise can be understood as the resonance mechanism in a Helmholtz resonator, which is driven by the convecting vortex in a shear-layer flow over the neck of the resonator. Two methods to suppress the buffeting noise are proposed, and their effects are quantitatively assessed. Opening front window reduces the observed buffeting tonal noise by 25 dB and the overall SPL by 4 dB, and the installation of a Helmholtz resonator acting as a dynamic damper reduces the tonal component that by 35 dB and the overall SPL by 10 dB.
Lattice Boltzmann Method;Buffeting Noise;Helmholtz Resonator;Cavity
- Henderson, B. S., 2004, Category 5: Sound Generation in Viscous Problems. Problem 2: Sound Generation by Flow Over a Cavity, Fourth Computational Aeroacoustics (CAA) Workshop on Benchmark Problems, NASA/CP 2004-212954
- Bernd, C. et al., 2005, Sunroof Buffeting of a Simplified Car Model: Simulations of the Acoustic and Flow-induced Response, SAE Technical Paper, 2005-01-2498.
- Shin, S. R. et al., 2006, New Sunroof Wind Noise Reduction Strategy using Analytical Prediction and Automatic Deflector Optimizing System, JSAE Paper, Vol. 71, No. 6, pp. 7~10
- An, C.-F. et al., 2004, Side Window Buffeting Characteristics of an SUV, SAW Paper, 2004-01-0230
- Sovani, S. D. and Hendriana, D., 2002, Predicting Passinger Car Window Buffeting with Transient External- Aerodynamics Simulations, 10th Annual Conference of the CFD Society of Canada, pp. 9~11.
- Qian, Y. H. et al., 1992, Lattice BGK Models for Navier Stokes Equation, Europhysics Letters, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 479~484. https://doi.org/10.1209/0295-5075/17/6/001
- Bhatnagar, P. L. et al., 1954, A Model for Collision Processes in Gases. I. Small Amplitude Processes in Charged and Neutral One-component Systems, Physical Review, Vol. 94, No. 3, pp. 551~525.
- Ma, R. et al., 2009, Fluid Mechanics of the Flow-excited Helmholtz Resonator, J. Fluids Mech., Vol. 623, pp. 1~26. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112008003911
- Cheong, C. et al., 2005, Computation of Broadband Noise of a 2-D Flat-airfoil Cascade Subject to Ingested Turbulence, Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 187~696.
- Hong, J. S. and Ih, K. D., 2007, A Study on the Real Side Window Buffeting Characteristic, KSAE Annual Spring Conference, Vol. 2, pp. 977~982.
- Lee, S. and Kim, J., 1997, Aerodynamic Noise in Automobiles, Journal of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 17~24.
- Ota, D. et al., 1994, Computational Study of Resonance Suppression of Open Sunroofs, Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 116, No. 4, pp. 877~882. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2911864
- Zhendong, Y. et al., 2014, Numerical Analysis and Passive Control of a Car Side Window Buffeting Noise based on Scale-adaptive Simulation, Applied Acoustics, Vol. 79, pp. 23~34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2013.12.006
- Bodger, W. and Jones, C., 1964, Aerodynamic Wind Throb in Passenger Cars, SAE Technical Paper, 640797.
- Henderson, B. S., 2000, Automobile Noise Involving Feedback- Sound Generation by Low Speed Cavity Flows, NASA/CP 2000-209790, pp. 95-100.
- Decomposition of Surface Pressure Fluctuations on Vehicle Side Window into Incompressible/compressible Ones Using Wavenumber-frequency Analysis vol.26, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2016.26.7.765
Grant : 첨단 기계부품소재 인력양성사업단