- Volume 25 Issue 9
In this paper, the silencer for large caliber gun to reduce the propagation of gun-generated noise was studied. The results of structural analysis and firing test were described. Structural analysis was conducted by using a commercial program, ANSYS, and showed that there was not any structural problem. The sound pressure level was diminished about 10 dB by the silencer adapted in front of the gun and the soundness of the material was verified from the internal pressure measurement. The reduction of weight, improvement of durability and speed-up of actuating device have to be studied later to improve the usability of silencer for large caliber gun.
Silencer;Impulse Noise;Howitzer;Structure Analysis
- Kang, K. J., Ko, S. H., Kwak, Y. K., Lee, D. J., and Lee, I. C., 2007, An Evaluation of Silencer Characteristics by Live Firing Test, Journal of the KIMST, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 217~224.
- Park, M. S., Ku, T. W. and Kang, B. S., 2003, Performance Evaluation for Noise Suppression of a Silencer in Small Arms, Journal of the Korean Society of Precision Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 9, pp. 151~159.
- Kang, T. Y., Kim, S. M., Choi, S. H., Lee, H. S. and Park, S. H., 2013, Numerical and Experimental Study on Improving Performance of Baffle-type Silencers Applied to Medium-Caliber Cannons, Proceedings of the KIMST Annual Conference, pp. 1629~1630.
- Kang, K. J., An, S. T., Choi, H. J. and Hong, S. K., 2009, A Studying Trend of Shock Noise by the Gun Firing, Journal of KSNVE, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 4~8.
- Fansler, K. S., Von Wahlde, R., 1991, A Muffler Design for Tank Cannon Acceptance Testing, Memorandum Report BRL-MR-3931.
- Cooke, C. H. and Fansler, K. S., 1989, Numerical Simulation and Modeling of a Muffler, Memorandum Report BRL-MR-3735.
- Kim, S. M., Kang, T. Y., Choi, S. H., Lee, H. S. and Kim, B. S., 2012, Comparison of the Results of Firing Test and CFD Analysis on Baffled Silencer of 40mm Ordnance, Proceedings of the KIMST Annual Autumn Conference, pp. 1262~1266.
- Lee, H. S., Joe, Y. S., Kim, E. S., Choi, S. H., Kim, S. M. and Kim, K. I., 2012, An Experimental Consideration for Muffler Development, Proceedings of the KSNVE Annual Autumn Conference, pp. 677~678.
- Cha, I. W., 1994, Noise and Vibration Engineering, Moon Woon Dang, Korea, pp. 44~47.
- Lee, J. K., 1994, Acoustic Analysis and Design of Exhaust Mufflers : Ⅱ. Expressions of Acoustical Performance, Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 16. No. 5. pp. 10~11.