- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Design and Fabrication of Modified Monopole Antenna for Wireless USB Dongle with WLAN system Applications
WLAN 시스템 적용 가능한 무선 USB 동글용 변형된 모노폴 안테나의 설계 및 제작
- Received : 2015.04.23
- Accepted : 2015.05.27
- Published : 2015.10.31
In this paper, we propose a built-in antenna for wireless USB dongle which has a modified structure from the existing planar monopole antenna. The proposed antenna implemented a dual-band characteristic by inserting Strip1, Strip2, Strip3 into the monopole structure combined with 'n' shape and feeded 50-Ω using coaxial cable. The antenna is designed on an FR-4 substrate of which the dielectric constant is 4.6, and its overall size is 10 mm × 50 mm × 1mm. Based on the measurement results of the return loss, it was confirmed to satisfy the dual band resonance characteristics of 740 MHz (2.3 ~ 2.7 GHz) and 1,200 MHz (5.15 ~ 5.825 GHz) by -10 dB. In addition, we obtain the omni-directional radiation pattern measurements in the operating frequency bands, and the maximum gain of the proposed antenna has 2.26~3.81 dBi in the 2.4 GHz band and 2.21~5.79 dBi. in the 5.5 GHz band, respectively.
Wireless USB Dongle;Multiband antenna;WLAN application
- J. T. Kim, “Weekly Electronic Information] Industry Trend antenna for mobile phones,” KEIT Electronic Information Center, 2008.
- K. L. Wong, Planar Antennas for Wireless Communications, Wiley-Interscience, 2003.
- H. B. Kim, K. C. Hwang, and Y. B. Park, “Compact Stub-Loaded Meanderline Antenna for Wireless USB Dongle Devices,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, NO. 10, pp. 2279-2282, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.25430
- S. J. Jeong, K. C. Hwang and J. H. Shin, “Internal Hookshaped Patch Antenna for Multiband Wireless USB Dongle Application,” Journal of Electronic Engineering, Vol. 47, NO. 11, pp. 968-973, Nov. 2010.
- S. J. Jeong, K. C. Hwang and J. H. Shin, “Printed Meander-Monopole Antenna for Multiband Wireless USB Dongle Applications,” Journal of the Korea Electromagnetic Engineering Society, Vol. 21, No.10, pp. 1154-1160, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2010.21.10.1154
- Y. S. Yu and J. H. Choi, “A Compact Modified Monopole Type Internal Antenna for Wireless USB Dongle A pplication,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No.10 , pp. 198-201, Jan. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.24878
- S. H. Lee and Y. J. Sung, “Multiband Antenna for Wireless USB Dongle Applications,” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, Mar. 2011.
- S. J. Jeong and K. C. Hwang, “Stub-Loaded Bent Monopole Antenna with Independent Frequency Tuning Capability for Compact Wireless USB Dongles,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 11, pp. 2548-2552, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.27159
- S. H. Lee and Y. J. Sung, “A compact Triple Antenna for a Wireless USB Dongle,” Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 185-188, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2012.12.2.185
- S. Chaimool, C. Chokchai, and P. Akkareakthalin, “Triple-Band USB Dongle Antenna Using Fractal and Shorted Loops for WiFi and WiMAX Applications,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 863-866, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.27421
- E. A. Elghannai and R. G. Rojas, “Design of USB Dongle Antenna for WLAN Applications Using Theory of Characteristic Modes,” Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 249-251, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2013.3929