- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Multipath Fading Channel Characterization and Performances of Forward Error Correction Codes in Very Shallow Water
극 천해 다중경로 페이딩 채널 특성과 전방오류 정정 코드의 성능
- Received : 2015.07.13
- Accepted : 2015.08.19
- Published : 2015.10.31
In very shallow water acoustic communication channel, underwater acoustic (UWA) communication signal is observed as frequency selective fading signal due to time-varying multipath. This induces a time and frequency dependent inter-symbol-interference (ISI) and degrades the UWA system performance. There is no study about how the performances of the error correction codes are related to a multipath fading statistics in very shallow water. In this study, the characteristics of very shallow water multipath fading channel is analyzed and the performances of two different forward error correction (FEC) codes are compared. The convolution code (CC) and Reed-Solomon (RS) code are adopted. Sea experimental results show that RS code is better choice than CC in frequency selective channel with fading.
Multipath channel;Fading;Underwater acoustic communication;Forward error correction code;Frequency selectivity;Temporal coherence
- J. Kim, K. Park, J. Park and J. R. Yoon, “Coherence bandwidth effects on underwater image transmission in multipath channel,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics Vol. 50, pp. 07HG05-1-07HG05-5, 2011. https://doi.org/10.7567/JJAP.50.07HG05
- M. Stojanovic and J. Preisig, “Underwater acoustic communication channels: Propagation models and statistical characterization,” IEEE Communication Magazine Vol. 47, pp. 84-89, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2009.4752682
- D. Xue, C. Seo, J. Park and J. R. Yoon, “Impact of sea surface scattering on performance of QPSK,” Journal of the Korea Institute of Information and communication engineering Vol. 18, pp. 1818-1826, 2014. https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2014.18.8.1818
- K. Park, J. Park, S. W. Lee, J. W. Jung, J. Shin, and J. R. Yoon, “Performance evaluation of underwater acoustic communication in frequency selective shallow water,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea Vol. 32, pp. 95-103, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2013.32.2.095
- Lv Shu and S. Xiaohong, “Research on shallow water acoustic communication based on frequency hopping,” Signal Processing, Communication and Computing (ICSPCC), 2012 IEEE International Conference on, pp.392, 395, 2012.
- N Nasri, L Andrieux, A Kachouri, and M Samet, “Efficient encoding and decoding schemes for wireless underwater communication systems,” 2010 7th international multiconference on systems, signals and Devices, Philadelphia, pp. 1-6, 2010.
- J. Park, C. Seo, K. Park and J. R. Yoon, “Effectiveness of convolution code in multipath underwater acoustic channel,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics Vol. 52, pp. 07HG01-1-07HG01-3, 2011.
- C. Seo, J. Park, K. Park and J. R. Yoon, “Performance comparison of convolution and Reed-Solomon codes in underwater multipath fading channel,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics Vol. 53 pp. 07KG02-1-07KG02-3, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7567/JJAP.53.07KG02
- John G. Proakis, and Masoud Salehi, Digital Communications (McGraw- Hill, New York), 5th Edition,Chap.13.
- T.C.Yang, "Measurements of temporal coherence of sound transmissions through shallow water," Journa of Acousical Society of America vol.120, no.5, Pt.1 of 2, pp.2595-2614, Nov. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.2345910