- Volume 19 Issue 10
This paper presents an orientation-based adaptive prediction method for effective lossless image compression. For a robust prediction, the proposed method estimates the directional information and the property near the current pixel in a support region-based fashion, not a pixel-based one which is sensitive to a small variation. We improve the prediction performance effectively by selection of the prediction pixel adaptively according to the similarity between support regions of the current pixel and the neighboring pixels. Comprehensive experiments demonstrate that the proposed scheme achieves excellent prediction performance measured in entropy of the prediction error compared to a number of conventional prediction methods such as MED, GAP, and EDP. Moreover the complexity of the proposed algorithm measured by average execution time is low compared to MED which is the simplest prediction method.
Adaptive prediction;Least square-based optimization;Lossless image compression;Orientation-based prediction
- "Information Technology - JPEG2000 image coding system," ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG1, FCD15444-1, Mar. 2000.
- S. Kim and N. Cho, "Hierarchical prediction and context adaptive coding for lossless color image compression," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 445-449, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2013.2293428
- Y.-T. Hwang, M.-W. Lyn, and C.-C. Lin, "A lowcomplexity embedded compression codec design with rate control for high-definition video," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 674-687, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2014.2355691
- J. Kim and H. Yoo, "Context-based predictive coding scheme for lossless image compression," Journal of the Korea Institute of Information and Communication Engineering, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 183-189, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2013.17.1.183
- M. Weinberger, G. Seroussi, and G. Sapiro, "The LOCO-I lossless image compression algorithm: principles and standardization into JPEG-LS," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 1309-1324, Aug. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.855427
- X. Wu and N. Memon, "Context-based, adaptive, lossless image coding," IEEE Trans. Communications, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 437-444, Apr. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/26.585919
- B. Meyer and P. Tischer, "TMW - a new method for lossless image compression," in Proceeding of the 1997 International Picture Coding Symposium, Berlin: Germany, pp. 533-538, 1997.
- J. Liu, G. Zhai, X. Yang, and L. Chen, "Lossless predictive coding for images with Bayesian treatment," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 5519-5530, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2014.2365698
- X. Li and M. Orchard, "Edge-directed prediction for lossless compression of natural images," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 813-817, Jun. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.923277
- L.-J. Kau and Y.-P. Lin, "Least-squares-based switching structure for lossless image coding," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1529-1541, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2007.899608
- K.-H. Chung and Y.-H. Chan, "A lossless compression scheme for Bayer color filter array images," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 134-144, Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2007.914153
- R. Lucac and K. Plataniotis, "Single-sensor camera image compression," IEEE Trans. Consumer Electronics, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 299-307, Feb. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2006.1649641
- N. Zhang and X. Wu, "Lossless compression of color mosaic images," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1379-1388, Jun. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2005.871116
- W. Pennebaker and J. Mitchell, JPEG Still Image Data Compression Standard, New York, NY: Van Nostrand, 1993.
- K. Sayood, Introduction to Data Compression, 3rd ed. New York, NY: Morgan-Kaufmann, 2005.
- "Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM) part1: Introduction and Overview," National Electrical Manufactures Association, 2004, [Online]. Available: http://medical.nema.org.
- J.-J. Ding, H.-H. Chen and W.-Y. Wei, "Adaptive Golomb code for joint geometrically distributed data and its application in image coding," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 661-670, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2012.2211952
- S. Kim and N. Cho, "Lossless compression of color filter array images by hierarchical prediction and context modeling," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1040-1046, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2014.2302546