- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on Mask-based Edge Detection Algorithm using Morphology
모폴로지를 이용한 마스크 기반 에지 검출 알고리즘에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.07.09
- Accepted : 2015.08.21
- Published : 2015.10.31
In this digital information era, utilization of images are essential for various media, and the edge is an important characteristical information of an object in images that includes the size, location, direction and etc. Many domestic and international studies are being conducted in order to detect these edge. Existing edge detection methods include Sobel, Prewitt, Roberts, Laplacian, LoG and etc. which apply fixed weight value. As these existing edge detection methods apply fixed weight mask to the image, edge detection characteristic appears slightly insufficient. Accordingly, in order to supplement these problems, this study used bottom-hat transformation from mathematical morphology and opening operation in improving the image and proposed an algorithm that detects for the edge after calculating mask-based gradient. And to evaluate the performance of the proposed algorithm, a comparison was made against the existing Sobel, Roberts, Prewitt, Laplacian, LoG edge detection methods, in illustrating visual images, and similarities were compared by calculating the MSE value based on the standard of each image.
Edge Detection;Mask;Morphology;Image Enhancement
- Yeganeh H., Ziaei A., Rezaie A., "A novel approach for contrast enhancement based on Histogram Equalization", International Conference on Computer and Communication Engineering, pp. 256-260, 2008.
- Xiaojun Zhai, Bensaali F., Sotudeh R., "Real-time optical character recognition on field programmable gate array for automatic number plate recognition system", Circuits, Devices & Systems, IET, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 337-344, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cds.2012.0339
- Wang Can, Su Weimin, Gu Hong, Shao Hua, "Edge detection of SAR images using incorporate shift-invariant DWT and binarization method," International Conference on Signal Processing, vol.1,pp.745-748,2012.
- Hua Xiang, Bin Yan, Qiong Cai, Guangyi Zou, "An edge detection algorithm based-on Sobel operator for images captured by binocular microscope", International Conference on Electrical and Control Engineering, pp.980-982, 2011.
- Rosenfeld Azriel, "The Max Roberts Operator is a Hueckel-Type Edge Detector", IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol.PAMI-3, no.1, pp.101-103, Jan. 1981. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.1981.4767056
- Kyong-Min Lee, Moon-Soo Jang, Poo-Gyeon Park, “A New Defect Inspection Method for TFT-LCD Panel using Pattern Comparison”, The transaction of the korean institute of electrical engineers, pp.307-313, 2008.
- Nobuyuki Otsu,"A Threshold Selection Method from Gray-Level Histograms", IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man.., and Cybernetics, Vol. SMC-9, No. 1, pp.62-66, Jan. 1979.
- Hongyan Sun, Shuxue Tian, "Image retrieval based on blocked histogram and Sobel edge detection algorithm", International Conference on Computer Science and Service System, pp.3277-3281, 2011.
- Nema M.K., Rakshit S., Chaudhuri S., "Image Denoising Using Edge Model-based Representation of Laplacian Subbands", International Conference on Advances in Pattern Recognition, pp.329-332, 2009.
- Ashish Anand, Sanjaya Shankar Tripathy, R. Sukesh Kumar, "An Improved Edge Detection Using Morphoogical Laplacian of Gaussian Operator", International Conference on Signal Processing and Intergrated Networks, pp.532- 536, 2015.
- Gupta K.G., Agrawal N., Maity S.K., "Performance analysis between aparapi (a parallel API) and JAVA by implementing sobel edge detection Algorithm", National Conference on Parallel Computing Technologies, pp.1-5, 2013.