- Volume 19 Issue 10
Distributed Networked Control Systems (NCSs) through wireless networks have a tremendous potential to improve the efficiency of various control systems. In this paper, we define the State Update Interval (SUI) as the elapsed time between successful state vector reports derived from the NCSs. A simple expression of the SUI is derived to characterize the key interactions between the control and communication layers. This performance measure is used to formulate a novel optimization problem where the objective function is the probability to meet the SUI constraint and the decision parameter is the channel access probability. We prove the existence and uniqueness of the optimal channel access probability of the optimization problem. Furthermore, the optimal channel access probability for NCSs is lower than the channel access probability to maximize the throughput. Numerical results indicate that the improvement of the success probability to meet the SUI constraint using the optimal channel access probability increases as the number of nodes increases with respect to that using the channel access probability to maximize the throughput.
Wireless Communication;Medium Access Control;Networked Control Systems;State Update Interval
- R. A. Gupta and M. Chow, "Networked control system: Overview and research trends," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 2527-2535, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2035462
- J. P. Hespanha, P. Naghshtabrizi, and Y. Xu, "A survey of recent results in networked control systems," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 138-162, 2007.
- Y. Wu, G. Buttazzo, E. Bini, and A. Cervin, "Parameter selection for real-time controllers in resource-constrained systems," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 610-620, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2010.2053378
- P. Park, "Traffic Generation Rate Control of Wireless Sensor and Actuator Networks," IEEE Communications Letters, vol.19, no.5, pp.827-830, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/LCOMM.2015.2409064
- D. Carnevale, A. R. Teel, and D. Nesic, “A Lyapunov proof of an improved maximum allowable transfer interval for networked control systems,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 892–897, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2007.895913
- P. Park, C. Tomlin, "Performance Evaluation and Optimization of Communication Infrastructure for the Next Generation Air Transportation System," in IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol.26, no.4, pp.1106-1116, 2015.
- P. Park, H. Khadilkar, H. Balakrishnan, and C. Tomlin, High Confidence Networked Control for Next Generation Air Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 3357-3372, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2014.2352011
- A. Vinel, “3GPP LTE versus IEEE 802.11p/WAVE: Which technology is able to support cooperative vehicular safety applications?” IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 125 –128, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/WCL.2012.022012.120073
- N. Pereira, B. Andersson, and E. Tovar, "Widom: A dominance protocol for wireless medium access," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 120-130, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2007.898461
- X. Liu and A. Goldsmith, "Wireless network design for distributed control," in IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 2823-2829, 2004.