- Volume 19 Issue 10
Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and routing technologies are the basic building blocks making it possible the Internet of Things (IoT). These technologies have been the focus of substantial research in the last decade. Nevertheless, as new networking standards for IoT are being proposed and different solutions are patched together, evaluating the performance of the network becomes unclear. In this paper, a new overview of MAC and routing protocols for IoT and new interactions are given. The IEEE 802.15.4 MAC and Routing Protocol for Low-power Lossy Network (RPL) routing protocols are taken as reference to exemplify and illustrate the discussion. Experimental results show that contention-based access MACs may hurt the routing, unless these two are carefully designed together.
Internet of Things;Wireless Communication;Medium Access Control;Routing
- P. Park, P. Di Marco, P. Soldati, C. Fischione, and K. H. Johansson, "A Generalized Markov Chain Model For Effective Analysis of Slotted IEEE 802.15.4," IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Systems, 2009.
- P. Di Marco, P. Park, C. Fischione, and K. H. Johansson, Analytical Modelling of Multi-hop IEEE 802.15.4 Networks, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 3191-3208, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2201221
- WSN for Smart Industries: A Market Dynamics Report, OnWorld, 2007, http://www.onworld.com/smartindustries/index.html.
- Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks, Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), http://www.ietf.org/dyn/wg/charter/roll-charter.html.
- IEEE 802.15.4 standard: Wireless Medium Access Control and Physical Layer Specifications for Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks, IEEE, 2006, http://www.ieee802.org/15/pub/TG4.html.
- P. Park, H. Khadilkar, H. Balakrishnan, and C. Tomlin, High Confidence Networked Control for Next Generation Air Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 3357-3372, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2014.2352011
- P. Park, "Traffic Generation Rate Control of Wireless Sensor and Actuator Networks," IEEE Communications Letters, vol.19, no.5, pp.827-830, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/LCOMM.2015.2409064
- J. L. Hill and D. Culler, “Mica: a wireless platform for deeply embedded networks,” IEEE Micro, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 12–24, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/MM.2002.1134340
- P. Park, P. Di Marco, C. Fischione, and K. H. Johansson, Modeling and Optimization of the IEEE 802.15.4 Protocol for Reliable and Timely Communications, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 550-564, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPDS.2012.159