- Volume 52 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Structural Performance and the Design of Propeller Root Fillet Surfaces having nT-T/n section
nT-T/n 단면형상을 갖는 프로펠러 뿌리 필렛의 구조 성능 분석과 설계방안에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.07.30
- Accepted : 2015.09.04
- Published : 2015.10.20
The blade root fillets which have strong influences on the performance of propellers in the both structural and hydrodynamic points of view, are mechanical parts for smooth connection surface with a blade and a hub. A few related researches (Sabol, 1983; Kennedy, 1997) have noted that 3T-T/3 double radius section design would be suitable for reducing Stress Concentration Factor(SCF) and increasing Cavitation Inception Speed(CIS). In this paper, it is confirmed that this compound cross-section design has come close to the optimum solution in the shape optimization standpoint so that it could protect the propeller blade under the frequent and various loading cases. On that basis, we suggest the definite and simple fillet design methodology that has the cross-section with nT-T/n compound radius and elliptic shape which could sustain the given derivatives information as well as the offsets at the boundary and all inner region of the fillet surface. In addition, the result of design is presented in form of IGES file format in order to connect with NC machine seamlessly.
Fillet surface design;Cavity Inception Speed(CIS);Stress concentration factor;Constrained least squares approximation method
- Carlton, J.S., 1994. Marine Propellers and Propulsion. Butterworth-Heinemann, Ltd: Oxford.
- Det Norske Veritas, 2015. Rules for Classification of Steel Ships, Part1, Chapter 2, Section 6, C.2.4. Det Norske Veritas: Hovik, Norway.
- Filkins, P.C. 1991. Algorithms for Blending Surface Generation. Master's Thesis. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge.
- Lloyd's Register, 2007. Rules and Regulations for the Classification of Ships, Part 5, Chapter 7, 3.1.2. Lloyd's Register of Shipping: London, UK.
- Patrikalakis, N.M. & Bardis, L., 1989. Offsets of Curves on Rational B-Spline Surface. Engineering with Computers, 5, pp.39-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01201996
- Piegl, L. & Tiller, W., 1997. The NURBS Book. 2nd Edition. Springer-Verlag: Berlin.
- Piegl, L. & Tiller, W., 2003, Circle approximation using integral B-splines. Computer-Aided Design, 35, pp. 601-607. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-4485(02)00096-9
- Pilkey, W.D. & Pilkey D.F., 2008. Peterson's Stress Concentration Factors. 3rd. John Wiley & Sons, Inc: Hoboken, New Jersey.
- Sabol, W.J., 1983. Analytic fillet development for marine propulsors. Tech. Memorandum File No. 83-01. Pennsylvania: Applied Research Laboratory, The Pennsylvania State University.
- Sonmez, F.O., 2009. Optimal Shape design of shoulder fillets for flat and round bars under various loadings. Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 223(8), pp.1741-1754. https://doi.org/10.1243/09544062JMES1457
- Kim, Y.C. Kim, T.W. & Suh, J.C., 2007. Gouging-free Tool-path Generation for Manufacturing Model Propellers. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 44(2), pp.198-209. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2007.44.2.198
- Kennedy, J.L. Walker, D.L. Doucet, J.M. & Randell, T., 1997. Cavitation Performance of Propeller Blade Root Fillets. Trans. SNAME,