- Volume 52 Issue 5
For the more accurate prediction on manoeuvring performance of a ship at initial design phase, bare hull manoeuvring coefficients were estimated by RANS(Reynolds Averaged Navier-Stokes) based virtual captive model tests. Hydrodynamic forces and moment acting on the hull during static drift and harmonic oscillatory motions were computed with a commercial RANS code STAR-CCM+. Automatic and consistent mesh generation could be implemented by using macro functions of the code and user dependency could be greatly reduced. Computed forces and moments on KCS and KVLCC 1&2 were compared with the corresponding measurements from PMM(Planar Motion Mechanism) tests. Quite good agreement can be observed between the CFD and EFD results. Manoeuvring coefficients and IMO standard manoeuvres estimated from the computed data also showed reasonable agreement with those from the experimental data. Based on these results, we could confirm that the developed virtual captive manoeuvring model test process could be applied to evaluate manoeuvrability of a ship at the initial hull design phase.
- Aoki I. Kijima K. Furukawa Y. & Nakiri Y., 2006. On the Prediction Method for Maneuverability of a Full Scale Ship. Journal of the Japan Society of Naval Architects and Ocean Engineering, 3, pp.159-165.
- Crane, C.L. Eda, H. & Lansburg, A., 1998. Section 8: Nonlinear Equations of Motion and Captive Model Tests, Principles of Naval Architects, Vol.III, Ch. IX. Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers: Jersey City, NJ.
- Dieck, R.H. Steele, W.G. & Ososobe, G., 2005. Test Uncertainty. ASME PTC, 19.1. American Society of Mechanical Engineers: New York.
- ITTC, 2011. Manoeuvring Committee: final report and recommendation. Proceedings of 26th ITTC, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 28 August-3 September 2011, pp. 123-181.
- Dubin, J.A. & Rivers R.D., 1986. Regression Analysis. Tutorials of SST (Statistical Software Tools), [Online]Available at: http://eml.berkely.edu/sst/regression.html [Accessed May 2012]
- Fujii, H. & Tuda, T., 1961. Experimental Researches on Rudder Performance (2). Journal of Society of Naval Architects of Japan, 110, pp.31-42.
- ITTC, 2008. Manoeuvring Committee: final report and recommendation. Proceedings of 25th ITTC, Fukuoka, Japan, 14-20 September 2008, pp.143-208.
- ITTC, 2014. Manoeuvring Committee: Final Report and Recommendation. Proceedings of 27th ITTC, Copenhagen, Denmark, 31 August-6 September 2014, pp.128-194.
- Kijima, K. & Nakiri, Y., 1999. Approximate Expression for Hydrodynamic Derivatives of Ship Manoeuvring Motion Taking into Account the Effects of Stern Shape. Journal of West Japan Society of Naval Architects, 98, pp.67-77.
- Kim, J. Park, I.R. Kim, K.S. & Van, S.H., 2005. RANS Simulations for KRISO Container Ship and VLCC Tanker. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 42(6), pp.593-600. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2005.42.6.593
- Lee, S.B. & Lee, Y.M., 2014. Statistical Reliability Analysis of Numerical Simulation for Prediction of Model-Ship Resistance. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 51(4), pp.321-327. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2014.51.4.321
- Matsumoto, N. & Suemitsu, K., 1983, Interference Effects between Hull, Propeller and Rudder of a Hydrodynamic Mathematical Model in Maneuvering Motion. Journal of Kansai Society of Naval Architects, 93, pp.45-62.
- SIMMAN, 2008. Part G: Comparison of results for free manoeuvre simulations - Systems and CFD based methods. Proceedings of SIMMAN 2008, Lyngby, Denmark, 14-16 April 2008, pp.G1-G277.
- Park, S.H. Lee, S.B. & Lee, Y.M., 2014. Study on the Estimation of the Optimum Trims in Container Carriers by using CFD Analysis of Ship Resistance. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 51(5), pp.429-434. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2014.51.5.429
- Shin, S.S. Ahn K. Sung Y.J. & Oh S., 2012. A study on effect of the self-propulsion points in PMM tests for KVLCC’s manoeuvrability. Proceedings of 28th International Conference on Marine Simulation and Ship Maneuverability, Singapore, 23-27 April 2012, pp.449-457.
- Shin, S.S. Lee T.I. & Ahn, K., 2013. A study on the numerical analysis of maneuverability at hull form design stage. Proceedings of 12th International Symposium on Practical Design of Ships and Other Floating Structures, Changwon, Republic of Korea, 20-25 October 2013, pp.1106-1111.
- Simonsen, C.D. Otzen J.F. Klimt C. Larsen N.L. & Stern F., 2012. Maneuvering predictions in the early design phase using CFD generated PMM data. Proceedings of 29th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Gothenburg, Sweden, 26-31 August 2012, pp.1057-1074.
- Sung, Y.J. Ahn K. & Lee T., 2009. Development of new empirical formulae for manoeuvring coefficients and application on rudder design. Proceedings of 10th International Marine Design Conference, Vol.I, Trondheim, Norway, 26-29 May 2009, pp.382-394.
- Sung, Y.J., 2013. Sensitivity analysis on the manoeuvring indices based on the confidence interval of manoeuvring coefficients from PMM test. Proceedings of 2013 Spring Conference of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, Seogwipo, Republic of Korea, 23-25 May 2013, pp.1390-1397.
- Sung, Y.J. Park, S.H. Chung, S.H. Jung, M.K. & Jun, J., 2014. A numerical evaluation on manoeuvring characteristics of bare hull. Proceedings of 2014 Spring Conference of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, Busan, Republic of Korea, 22-23 May 2014, pp.1066-1074.