- Volume 15 Issue 3
Digital infrared thermal imaging is a non-invasive adjunctive diagnostic technique that allows an examiner to visualize and quantify changes in skin surface temperature. The asymmetry of temperature differences between the diseased and the contralateral healthy body parts can be automatically analyzed and has been studied in many areas of medical science. In this paper, we propose a method for intelligent automatic asymmetry detection based on a K-means analysis and a YCbCr color model. The implemented software successfully visualizes an asymmetric distribution of colors with respect to the patients’ health status.
Digital infrared thermal imaging;YCbCr color model;K-means clustering;Asymmetry analysis;Object labeling
- H. Qi and J. Head, “Asymmetry analysis using automatic segmentation and classification for breast cancer detection in thermograms,” in: Proc. 23rd Annual Int’ Conference of the IEEE EMBS, Turkey, pp. 2866-?2869, 2001.
- T. Z. Tan, C. Quek, G. S. Ng, E. Y. K. Ng, “A novel cognitive interpretation of breast cancer thermography with complementary learning fuzzy neural memory structure,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 33, pp. 652-?666, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2006.06.012
- R. O. Duda and P. E. Hart, Pattern Classification and Scene Analysis, New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1973.
- S. L. Phung, A. Bouzerdoum, and D. Chai, “A novel skin color model in YCbCr color space and its application to human face detection,” In Image Processing. 2002. Proceedings. 2002 International Conference on. IEEE, vol. 1, pp. I-289–I-292, 2002.
- B. Fisher, S. Perkins, A. Walker, and E. Wolfart, Hypermedia Image Processing Reference, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 1996.
- W. C. Amalu, W. B. Hobbins, J. F. Head, and R. L. Elliot, “Infrared imaging of the breast ? an overview,” The Biomedical Engineering Handbook, 3rd ed., Medical Devices and Systems. CRC Press, Baton Rouge, 2006.
- G. C. Wishart, M. Campisi, M. Boswell, D. Chapman, V. Shackleton, S. Iddles, A. Hallett, and P. D. Britton. “The accuracy of digital infrared imaging for breast cancer detection in women undergoing breast biopsy.” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 535–540, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2010.04.003
- L. Boquete, S. Ortega, J. M. Miguel-Jim?nez, J. M. Rodr?guez-Ascariz, and R. Blanco, “Automated detection of breast cancer in thermal infrared images, based on independent component analysis,” Journal of medical systems, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 103–111, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10916-010-9450-y
- P. T. Kuruganti, and H. Qi, “Asymmetry analysis in breast cancer detection using thermal infrared images,” In Engineering in Medicine and Biology, 2002. 24th Annual Conference and the Annual Fall Meeting of the Biomedical Engineering Society EMBS/BMES Conference, 2002. Proceedings of the Second Joint. IEEE, vol. 2, pp. 1155–1156, 2002.
- B. B. Lahiri, S. Bagavathiappan, P. R. Reshmi, J. Philip, T. Jayakumar, B. Raj, “Quantification of defects in composites and rubber materials using active thermography,” Infrared Physics & Technology, vol. 55, pp. 191-?199, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infrared.2012.01.001
- S. Subedi, S. E. Umbaugh, J. Fu, D. J. Marino, C. A. Loughin, and J. Sackman, “Thermographic image analysis as a pre-screening tool for the detection of canine bone cancer.” In SPIE Optical Engineering Applications. International Society for Optics and Photonics., pp. 92171D–92171D, 2014, September.).
- N. Arora, D. Martins, D. Ruggerio, E. Tousimis, A. J. Swistel, M. P. Osborne, and R. M. Simmons, “Effectiveness of a noninvasive digital infrared thermal imaging system in the detection of breast cancer,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 196, no. 4, pp. 523–526, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2008.06.015
- X. Maldague, “Theory and Practice of Infrared Technology for Nondestructive Testing,” first ed., John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2001.
- Y. C. Chou, and L. Yao, “Automatic diagnostic system of electrical equipment using infrared thermography,” In Soft Computing and Pattern Recognition 2009. IEEE, pp. 155–160, 2009.
- R. B. Barnes, Thermography of the Human body, Science, vol. 140, pp. 870-?877, 1963. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.140.3569.870
- S. Bagavathiappan, J. Philip, T. Jayakumar, B. Raj, P. N. S. Rao, M. Varalakshmi, and V. Mohan, “Correlation between plantar foot temperature and diabetic neuropathy: a case study by using an infrared thermal imaging technique,” Journal of diabetes science and technology, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1386–1392, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/193229681000400613
- S. Bagavathiappan, T. Saravanan, J. Philip, T. Jayakumar, B. Raj, R. Karunanithi,T. Panicker, M.P. Korath, and K. Jagadeesan, “Infrared thermal imaging for detection of peripheral vascular disorders,” Journal of Medical Physics, vol. 34, pp. 43-?47, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-6203.48720
- D. Bitar, A. Goubar, and J. C. Desenclos, “International travels and fever screening during epidemics: a literature review on the effectiveness and potential use of non-contact infrared thermometers,” Eurosurveillance, vol. 14, pp. 1–5, 2009.
- B. Zelichowska, R. Rozycki, M. Tlustochowicz, A. Kujawa, B. Kalicki, and P. Murawski, “The usefulness of the thermography in the dry eye syndrome,” Klinika Oczna, vol. 107, pp. 483-?487, 2005.
- B. B. Lahiri, S. Bagavathiappan, T. Jayakumar, and J. Philip, “Medical applications of infrared thermography: a review,” Infrared Physics & Technology, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 221–235, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infrared.2012.03.007
- A Clustering-Based Fault Detection Method for Steam Boiler Tube in Thermal Power Plant vol.11, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.4.848