- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Analysis on the Deep Geological Disposal Concepts Considering the Spent Fuel Length
사용후핵연료 길이에 따른 심지층 처분시스템 분석
LEE, Jongyoul;KIM, Hyeona;LEE, Minsoo;CHOI, Heuijoo;KIM, Keonyoung
- Received : 2015.02.10
- Accepted : 2015.07.13
- Published : 2015.09.30
Currently, 23 nuclear power plants are in operation at Kori, Uljin, Younggwang and Wolsong site and a reference deep geological disposal system has been developed for the spent fuels generated by them. The reference spent fuel for this disposal system has 4.5wt% of initial enrichment, 55 GWd/MtU of burn-up, and 40 years of cooling time. In this paper, to improve disposal efficiency and economic feasibility, the characteristics of spent fuels from nuclear power plants, such as type and burn-up, were reviewed. A disposal canister concept for shorter length and relatively lower burn-up spent fuels than the reference spent fuels was developed. Based on this canister concept, thermal analyses were carried out and a deep geological disposal concept was proposed. Measures of disposal efficiency such as unit disposal area and disposal density were compared between this disposal system and the reference disposal system. Also, economic feasibility, such as the volume reduction of copper, cast iron, and bentonite, was analyzed and the results of these analyses showed that the disposal system proposed in this paper has an efficiency of at least 20%. These results could be used for establishing spent fuel management policy and designing practical disposal systems for spent fuels.
Spent fuels;Deep geological disposal(DGD) system;Reference spent fuels;Low burn-up;High burn-up;Disposal efficiency
- Svensk Kärnbränslehantering AB(SKB), Programme for research, development and demonstration of methods for the management and disposal of nuclear waste, SKB Technical Report TR-07-12 (2007).
- Japan Nuclear Cycle Development Institute(JNC), H12 Project to Establish Technical Basis for HLW Disposal in Japan, Supporting Report 2-Repository Design & Engineering Technology, JNC (1999).
- J. Y. Lee and H. J. Choi, Preliminary Conceptual Design of the Korean Reference Repository System for HLW in Vertical Emplacement, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute Technical Report, KAERI/TR-3012/2005 (2005).
- D.K. Cho, S.K. Yoon, H.J. Choi, J.W. Choi, and W. I Ko, Reference spent nuclear fuel for pyro-processing facility design, J. of the Korean Radioactive Waste Society, 6(3), 225-232 (2008).
- I.Y. Kim, H.J. Choi, and H.A. Kim, Evaluation on thermal performance and thermal dimensioning of direct deep geological disposal system for high burn-up spent nuclear fuel, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute Technical Report, KAERI/TR-5230/2013 (2013).
- H. J. Choi, D.K Cho, J.Y LEE, M.S. LEE, and S. K. Kim, Safety Analysis Report for the PWR Spent Fuel Canister, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute Technical Report, KAERI/TR-3063/2005 (2005).
- Svensk Kärnbränslehantering AB(SKB), Buffer and backfill process report for the safety assessment SR-Can, SKB Technical Report, TR-06-18 (2006).
- S. S. Kim, J. W. Choi, and K.S. Chun, Requirements Performance and Design of Container, buffer and Backfill materials for the Disposal of Spent Nuclear Fuel, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute Technical Report, KAERI/TR-2628/2003 (2003).
- J. Y. Lee, D. K. Cho, H. J. Choi, J. W. Choi, and L. M. Wang, Analyses of disposal efficiency based on nuclear spent fuels cooling time and disposal tunnel/pit spacing for the design of a geological repository, Progress in Nuclear Energy 53, 361-367 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pnucene.2011.01.005
- H. J. Choi and J. W. Choi, Double-layered buffer to enhance the thermal performance in a high-level radioactive waste disposal system, Nuclear Engineering and Design 238, 2815-2820 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2008.04.017
- Dassault systems, Abaqus/CAE 6.10 User's manual, Dassault systems simulia corp. (2010).
- Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power Co. LTD(KHNP), Knowledge Info-Spent fuel, Accessed Jan. 29 2015, Available from: http://cms.khnp.co.kr/eng/spent-fuel (2015).
- J. Y. Lee, D. Cho, H. Choi, and J. Choi, Concept of a Korean Reference Disposal System for Spent Fuels, JNST, 44(12), 1565-1573 (2007).