- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Cross-Section Openings on the Chlorination Reaction Rate of ZIRLO Cladding Hulls
단면 개방이 ZIRLO 피복관의 염소화 반응 속도에 미치는 영향
Jeon, Min Ku;Choi, Yong Taek;Lee, Chang Hwa;Kang, Deok Yoon;Hur, Jin-Mok;Ahn, Do-Hee
- Received : 2015.06.09
- Accepted : 2015.08.10
- Published : 2015.09.30
The reaction rates of ZIRLO cladding hulls with cross-section openings were investigated using a thermo-gravimetric analysis system in order to identify whether selective recovery of Zr from oxidized cladding hulls is possible. The experimental results showed that an oxidized ZIRLO cladding hull was not reactive with chlorine gas at 400℃. However, providing fresh cross-sections on one or both ends of the ZIRLO hulls enabled a chlorination reaction. This reaction was completed after 8 hours; a 14% increase on the 7 hours seen with a bare ZIRLO cladding hull. The Sharp-Hancock plot analysis results revealed that the contracting volume model is the best for describing the reaction between the cross-section opened ZIRLO hulls and chlorine gas under the condition of this work. It was concluded that the chlorination process can be employed for oxidized ZIRLO cladding hulls by providing cross-section openings.
ZIRLO;Chlorination;Reaction rate model;Thermo-gravimetric analysis;Cladding hull waste
- W.E. Ranz and W.R. Marshall Jr., “Evaporation from drops: part II”, Chem. Eng. Prog., 48(4), 173-180 (1952).
- W.E. Ranz and W.R. Marshall Jr., “Evaporation from drops: part I”, Chem. Eng. Prog., 48(3), 141-146 (1952).
- J.P. Garviría, G.G. Fouga, and A.E. Bohé, “Kinetics of yttrium oxide carbochlorination”, Thermochim. Acta, 517(1-2), 24-33 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tca.2011.01.026
- A.W.D. Hills, “The importance of convective mass transfer in the reduction of hematite”, Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 9(1), 121-128 (1978). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02822679
- G. Hakvoort, “TG measurement of gas-solid reactions. The effect of the shape of the crucible on the measured rate”, Thermochim. Acta, 233(1), 63-73 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-6031(99)80006-9
- J.D. Hancock and J.H. Sharp, “Method of comparing solid-state kinetic data and its application to the decomposition of kaolinite, brucite, and BaCO3”, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 55(2), 74-77 (1972). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1972.tb11213.x
- A. Khawam and D.R. Flanagan, “Solid-state kinetic models: Basics and mathematical fundamentals”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 110(35), 17315-17328 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1021/jp062746a
- M.K. Jeon, K.H. Kang, G.I. Park, and C.H. Lee, “Effect of chlorinating reagents on Zr recovery from Zircaloy-4 hull wastes: reaction behavior simulation by using the HSC code”, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 292(1), 285-291 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10967-011-1407-1
- M.K. Jeon, C.H. Lee, Y.L. Lee, Y.T. Choi, K.H. Kang, and G.I. Park, “Demonstration of Zr recovery from 50g scale Zircaloy-4 cladding hulls using a chlorination method”, J. Korean Radioact. Waste Soc., 11(1), 55-61 (2013). https://doi.org/10.7733/jkrws.2013.11.1.55
- M.K. Jeon, C.H. Lee, C.M. Heo, Y.L. Lee, Y.T. Choi, K.H. Kang, and G.I. Park, “Chlorination reaction behavior of Zircaloy-4 hulls: A preliminary study on the effect of the oxidation process on the reaction rate”, J. Korean Radioact. Waste Soc., 11(1), 69-75 (2013). https://doi.org/10.7733/jkrws.2013.11.1.69
- M.K. Jeon, Y.T. Choi, K.H. Kang, and G.I. Park, “A TGA study on the chlorination reaction kinetics of Zircaloy-4 cladding hulls”, J. Nucl. Mater., 459(1), 175-182 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2015.01.034
- M.K. Jeon, Y.T. Choi, J.M. Hur, and D.H. Ahn, “A thermo-gravimetric analysis study on the chlorination reaction of ZIRLO cladding hull”, J. Nucl. Mater., 465(1), 28-33 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2015.05.013
- J. Szekely, J.W. Evans, and H.Y. Sohn, Gas-Solid Reactions, 10-22, Academic Press, New York (1976).
- M.K. Jeon, K.H. Kang, C.M. Heo, J.H. Yang, C.H. Lee, and G.I. Park, “Effect of oxidation conditions on chlorination reaction of Zircaloy-4 hulls”, J. Nucl. Mater., 424(1-3), 153-157 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2012.03.010
- K. Natesan and W.K. Soppet. Air oxidation kinetics for Zr-based alloys, Argonne National Laboratory Report, 65-69, NUREG/CR-4846, ANL-03/32 (2004).
- M.K. Jeon, Y.T. Choi, C.H. Lee, Y.L. Lee, K.H. Kang, and G.I. Park, “Effect of oxidation process on the reaction kinetics of Zirlo chlorination reaction”, Trans. Am. Nucl. Soc., 108, 163-164 (2013).
- M.K. Jeon, J.W. Lee, K.H. Kang, G.I. Park, C.H. Lee, J.H. Yang, and C.M. Heo, “Simulation of chlorination reaction behavior of hull wastes by using the HSC code”, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 289(2), 417-422 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10967-011-1081-3
- E.D. Collins, G.D. DelCul, B.B. Spencer, R.R. Brunson, J.A. Johnson, D.S. Terekhov, and N.V. Emmanuel, “Process development studies for zirconium recovery/recycle from used nuclear fuel cladding”, Proc. Chem., 7(1), 72-76 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proche.2012.10.013
- M.K. Jeon, K.H. Kang, G.I. Park, and Y.S. Lee, “Chlorination reaction behavior of Zircaloy-4 hulls: experimental and theoretical approaches”, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 292(2), 513-517 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10967-011-1435-x
- T.S. Rudisill, “Decontamination of Zircaloy cladding hulls from spent nuclear fuel”, J. Nucl. Mater., 385(1), 193-195 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2008.10.016
- K.C. Song, H. Lee, J.M. Hur, J.G. Kim, D.H. Ahn, and Y.Z. Cho, “Status of pyroprocessing technology development in Korea”, Nucl. Eng. Technol., 42(2), 131-144 (2010). https://doi.org/10.5516/NET.2010.42.2.131
- H. Lee, G.I. Park, K.H. Kang, J.M. Hur, J.G. Kim, D.H. Ahn, Y.Z. Cho, and E.H. Kim, “Pyroprocessing technology development at KAERI”, Nucl. Eng. Technol., 43(4), 317-328 (2011). https://doi.org/10.5516/NET.2011.43.4.317
Grant : 파이로 전해환원공정 기술개발