- Volume 15 Issue 5
The efficient electric power demand management in electric power supply industry is currently being changed by distributed generation. Meanwhile, small-scale distributed generation systems using renewable energy are being constructed worldwide. Several small-scale renewable distributed generation systems, which can supply electricity to the grid at peak load of the grid as per policy such as demand response programs, could help in the stability of the electric power demand management. In this case, the power quality of the small-scale renewable distributed generation system is more significant. Low prices of power semiconductors and multilevel inverters with high power quality have been recently investigated. However, the conventional multilevel inverter topology is unsuitable for the small-scale renewable distributed generation system, because the number of devices of such topology increases with increasing output voltage level. In this paper, a single-phase multilevel inverter based on H-bridge, with DC_Link divided by bi-directional switches, is proposed. The proposed topology has almost half the number of devices of the conventional multilevel inverter topology when these inverters have the same output voltage level. Double Fourier series solution is mainly used when comparing PWM output harmonic components of various inverter topologies. Harmonic components of the proposed multilevel inverter, which have been analyzed by double Fourier series, are compared with those of the conventional multilevel inverter. An inverter prototype is then developed to verify the validity of the theoretical analysis.
Double Fourier series;Multilevel inverter;Single-phase inverter;Single-phase multilevel inverter
- B. P. McGrath and D. G. Holmes, “A comparison of multicarrier PWM strategies of cascaded and neutral point clamped multilevel inverter,” in Proc. IEEE PECS, Vol. 2, pp. 674-679, Jun. 2000.
- D. G. Holmes and B. P. McGrath, “Opportunities for harmonic cancellation with carrier-based PWM for two-level and multilevel cascaded inverter,”IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 574-582, Mar. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.913724
- J. Rodriguez, L. G. Franquelo, S. Kouro, J. I. Leon, R. C. Portillo, M. A. M. Prats, and M. A. Perez, “Multilevel converter: An enabling technology for high-power applications,” in Proc. IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 11, pp. 1786-1817, Nov. 2009.
- M. H. Albadi and E. F. El-Saadany, “Demand response in electricity markets: An overview,” IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, pp. 1-5, Jun. 2007.
- M. H. Albadi and E. F. El-Saadany, “A summary of demand response in electricity markets,” Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 78, No. 11, pp. 1989-1996, May 2008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2008.04.002
- Wikipedia, Electricity Consumption 2008, http://en.wikipedia.ord/wiki/Electric_energy_consumption, Aug. 31. 2014.
- R. Teodorescu, M. Liserre, P. Rodriguez, Grid Converters for Photovoltaic and Wind Power Systems, Wiley, 2011.
- G. Carrara, S. Gradella, M. Marchesoni, R. Salutari, and G. Sciutto, “A new multilevel PWM method: A theoretical analysis,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 497-505, Jul. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.145137
- D. G. Holmes, T. A. Lipo, Pulse Width Modulation For Power Converters, Wiley, 2003.
- B. P. McGrath, D. G. Holmes, M. Manjrekar, and T. A. Lipo, “An improved modulation strategy for a hybrid multilevel inverter,” inConf. Rec. IEEE-IAS Annual Meeting, pp. 2086-2093, Oct. 2000.
- B. P. McGrath and D. G. Holmes, “Multicarrier PWM strategies for multilevel inverters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 858-867, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801073
- B. P. McGrath and D. G. Holmes, “An analytical technique for the determination of spectral components of multilevel carrier-based PWM method,”IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 858-867, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801073
- J. Rodriguez, J.-S. Lai, and F. Z. Peng, “Multilevel inverter: A survey of topologies, controls, and applications,”IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 724-738, Aug.2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801052
- Asymmetric cascaded half-bridge multilevel inverter without polarity changer 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aej.2017.08.018