- Volume 15 Issue 5
In this paper, an approach to extend the life of lead-acid batteries through the elimination of sulfation with "rest time" using the pulse current of a conventional DPV (Differential Pulse Voltammetry) method is discussed. A new rest time without "0" current in "saw-tooth" pattern pulses is proposed to overcome the "0" current (blackout period), which is a shortcoming of DPV. This will enable the proposed method to be used in the loaded state. In the proposed approach, ESSs (Energy Storage Systems) were discharged for 5 h twice per day for 6 months on weekdays. To observe the changes in the lifespan of the systems, for the same period, the changes in the impedances of lead-acid batteries which were being charged e without charging and discharging were measure and compared. This study is focused on determining the effectiveness of lead-acid batteries as ESSs.
Energy storage systems;Sulfation;Smart grid;Pulse differential voltammetry;Rest time
- E. Davis and D. Funk, “New industry guidelines for the maintenance of stationary valve-regulated lead acid batteries,” AVO Int. Tech. Conf., Dallas, TX, 1996.
- G. J. Markle, “AC impedance testing for valve regulated cell,” Energy Conf., http://www.ieeexplore.ieee.org, 14th INTELEC '92, 1992.
- H. S. Kim, “Diagnosis of state of health (SOH) for battery management system (BMS),” Transactions of Korean Institute of Power Electronics(KIPE), Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 558, Dec. 2006.
- M. Hlavac, D. Feder, VRLA battery conductance monitoring,” Proc. of 18th Int. Telecommun. Energy Conf., pp. 632-639, 1996.
- B. Nelson, “TMF ultra-high rate discharge performance,” 12th Annual Battery Conf. on Appl. and Adv., pp. 139-143, Jan. 1997.
- U. Tae, J.-J Yang, K.-M Hong, “Electrochemical renewal method for enhancing cyclic ability of lead-acid battery,” Journal of the Korean Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 160-164, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5229/JKES.2012.15.3.160
- H. C. Jung, "The methods and system of efficiency optimization control of battery charge and discharging in power supply equipment," KR. Patten. No. 10-2012-0143483, Dec. 11th, 2012.
- H. C. Jung, "Energy indicate method for the energy saves," KR. Patten. No. 10-2011-012984, Nov. 1th 2011.
- H. C. Jung, "A control method for the regulation energy and system for that," KR. Patten. No. 10-2011-0095135, Sep. 21th, 2011.
- H. C. Jung, "Devices for controlling time shift of building facility for reduction of energy cost in building and devices of controlling time shift of building facility using the same," KR. Patten. No. 10-2012-0142822, Dec. 10th, 2012.
- IEEE, "Testing and replacement of valve regulated lead acid (VRLA) battery for stationary application," Recommended Practice for Maintenance, IEEE Std. 1188-1996, 1996.
- K. S. Champlin, "Method and apparatus for measuring complex impedance of cells and batteries," United States Patent No. 6, pp. 002-238, Dec. 14, 1999.
- C. O. Yoon, Y. Barsukov, and J. H. Kim, "Method and apparatus for measuring battery capacity using voltage response signal based on pulse current," United States Patent No. 6, pp. 118-275, Sep. 12th, 2000.
- J. H. Lee, “Development of the SOC estimation method of the battery and the battery inspection system using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy,” Sung-Sil Univ., Feb. 2011.
- S. W. Min, S. J. Kim, and D. Hur, “Optimized Installation and Operations of Battery Energy Storage System and Electric Double Layer Capacitor Modules for Renewable Energy Based Intermittent Generation,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp.238-243, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.2.238
- B. H. Lee, D. H. Shin, H. S. Song, H. Heo, and H. J. Kim “Development of an Advanced Hybrid Energy Storage System for Hybrid Electric Vehicles” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 51-60, Jan. 2009.
- H. S. Song, J. B. Jeong, B. H. Lee, D. H. Shin, J. Kim, and H. Heo, “Dynamic SOC compensation of an ultracapacitor module for a hybrid energy storage system” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp.769-776, Nov. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.6.769
- B. H. Lee, “A study on efficiency and cycle life improvement of hybrid energy storage systems for mild hybrid electric vehicles,” PhD. Thesis, Han-Yang Univ., Aug. 2009.
- R. M. LaFollette, “Design and performance of high specific power, pulsed discharge, bipolar lead acid batteries,” to 10th Annual Battery Conf. on Appl. and Adv., pp. 43-47, 1995.
- R. M. LaFollette and D. Bennion, “Design fundamentals of high power density, pulsed discharge, lead-acid batteries. II Modeling,” Journal of Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 137, pp. 3701–3707, Dec. 1990. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2086290
- T. F. Fuller, M. Doyle, and J. Newman, “Relaxation phenomena in lithium ion-insertion cells,” Journal of Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 141, pp. 982-990, Apr. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2054868
- B. Nelson, R. Rinehart, and S. Varley, “Ultrafast pulse discharge and recharge capabilities of thin-metal film battery technology,” 11th IEEE Int. Pulsed Power Conf., pp. 636–641, Jun. 1997.
- R. Min and A. Chandrakasan, “Energy-efficient communication for ad-hoc wireless sensor networks,” Proc. Conf. Record 35th Asilomar Conf. Signals, Systems, and Comp., Vol. 1, pp. 139-143, Nov. 2001.
- R. Min and A. P. Chandrakasan, “Top five myths about the energy consumption of wireless communication,” ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Commun. and Commun., rev., Vol. 6, No. 4, 2002.
- S. M. Lukic, S. G. Wirasingha, F. Rodriguez, C. Jian, and A. Emadi, “Power management of an Ultra-capacitor/battery hybrid energy storage system in an HEV,” IEEE Vehicle Power and Propuls. Conf., VPPC '06, pp. 1-6, 2006.
- Z. Yu, J. Zhenhua, and Y. Xunwei, “Control strategies for battery/super-capacitor hybrid energy storage systems,” The IEEE Energy 2030 Conf., pp. 1-6, 2008.
- B. H. Lee, “Development of energy management system for 42 V mild-hybrid vehicle,” The Trans. of Korean Inst. of Electr. and Eng., pp. 968-969, Jul. 2006.
- J. H. Lee and W. Choi, “Novel state-of-charge estimation method for lithium polymer batteries using electrochemical. impedance spectroscopy,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 237-243, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.2.237
- J.Y. Kim, S. K. Kim, and J.H. Park, “Contribution of an energy storage system for stabilizing a microgrid during islanded operation,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp.194-200, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2009.4.2.194
- C. L. Nguyen and H. H. Lee, “Optimization of wind power dispatch to minimize energy storage system capacity,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp.1080-1088, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.1080
- Y. S. Kim, "Study for power peak-cut save function improvement of PV system using LabView," Master's Thesis, KunKuk Univ., 2009.
- C. Min and G. A. Rincon-Mora, “An accurate electrical battery model capable of predicting runtime and I-V performance,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 504-511, Jun. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.874229
- D. Doerffel and S. A. Sharkh, “A critical review of using the Peukert equation for determining the remaining capacity of lead–acid and lithium-ion batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 155, No. 2, pp. 395-400, Apr. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.04.030
- Se-Bang Battery CO’s Laboratory, “VGS Series Battery specifications,” Sep. 2011.
- P. Ruetschi, “Aging mechanisms and service life of lead-acid batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 127, No. 1-2, pp. 33-44, Mar. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2003.09.052
- H. A. Catherino, Fred F. Feres, and F. Trinidad, “Sulfation in lead-acid batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 129, No. 1, pp. 113-120, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2003.11.003
- J. Pan, C. Zhang, Y. Sun, Z. Wang, and Y. Yang, “A new process of lead recovery from waste lead-acid batteries by electrolysis of alkaline lead oxide solution,” Journal of Korean Electrochemical. Commun., Vol. 19, pp. 70-72, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elecom.2012.03.028
- U. Tae. J.-J. Yang, K.-M. Hong, H. J.-J Kim, and S.-G. Park, “Electrochemical renewal method for enhancing cyclic ability of lead-acid battery,” Journal of Korean Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 15, No. 3, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5229/JKES.2012.15.3.160
- Y. J. Jang and S. J. Lee, “Battery lifetime enhancement technology using recovery effect,” Journal of Inst. of Electric Sand Information Eng., Vol. 48, No. 6, pp. 33-38, Jun. 2011.
- KEPCO, "Statistics from 2009 to 2010," Korea Electric Power Corporation, Jun. 2010.