- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Loss Analysis and Comparison of High Power Semiconductor Devices in 5MW PMSG MV Wind Turbine Systems
Lee, Kihyun;Suh, Yongsug;Kang, Yongcheol
- Received : 2014.11.06
- Accepted : 2015.05.04
- Published : 2015.09.20
This paper provides a loss analysis and comparison of high power semiconductor devices in 5MW Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator (PMSG) Medium Voltage (MV) Wind Turbine Systems (WTSs). High power semiconductor devices of the press-pack type IGCT, module type IGBT, press-pack type IGBT, and press-pack type IEGT of both 4.5kV and 6.5kV are considered in this paper. Benchmarking is performed based on the back-to-back type 3-level Neutral Point Clamped Voltage Source Converters (3L-NPC VSCs) supplied from a grid voltage of 4160V. The feasible number of semiconductor devices in parallel is designed through a loss analysis considering both the conduction and switching losses under the operating conditions of 5MW PMSG wind turbines, particularly for application in offshore wind farms. This paper investigates the loss analysis and thermal performance of 5MW 3L-NPC wind power inverters under the operating conditions of various power factors. The loss analysis and thermal analysis are confirmed through PLECS Blockset simulations with Matlab Simulink. The comparison results show that the press-pack type IGCT has the highest efficiency including the snubber loss factor.
Junction Temperature;Medium Voltage;Multi-level Converter;Power Semiconductor Devices;Voltage Source Converters;Wind Turbine Systems
- H. Wang, A. M. Khambadkone, and X. Yu, “Control of parallel connected power converters for low voltage microgrid – Part II: Dynamic electrothermal modeling,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 12, pp. 2971-2980, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2087394
- A. Rockhill, M. Liserre, R. Teodorescu, and P. Rodriguez, “Grid-filter design for a multi megawatt medium-voltage voltage-source inverter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 1205-1217, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2087293
- M. K. Kim, D. G. Woo, B. K. Lee, N. J. Kim, and J. S. Kim, “Loss analysis of power conversion equipment for efficiency improvement,” Transactions of Korean Institute of Power Electronics(KIPE), Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 80-90, Feb. 2014 https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2014.19.1.80
- L. Clotea and A. Forcos, “Power losses evaluation of two and three-level NPC inverters considering drive applications,” in Proc. OPTIM, pp. 929-934, 2012.
- M. Buschendorf, J. Weber, and S. Bernet, “Comparison of IGCT and IGBT for the use in the modular multilevel converter for HVDC applications,” in Proc. 9th Int. Multi-Conf. SSD, pp. 1-6, 2012.
- D. Zhou, F. Balabjerg, M. Lau, and M. Tonnes, “Thermal cycling overview of multi-megawatt two-level wind power converter at full grid code operation,” IEEJ Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 173-182, 2013.
- K. Ma and F. Blaabjerg, “Thermal optimized modulation methods of three-level neutral-point-clamped inverter for 10MW MW wind turbines under low-voltage ride through,” IET Power Electron., Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 920-927, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2011.0446
- C. Sintamarean, F. Blaabjerg, and H. Wang, “A novel electro-thermal model for wide bandgap WBG-semiconductor based devices,” IEEE European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, , 2013.
- ABB Application Note: ‘Applying IGBTs’, May 2007.
- “Toshiba Silicon N-Channel IEGT ST1200GXH24A”, Datasheet, 2009-09-07, Toshiba Ltd, Online: www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp.
- P. Alemi and D. C. Lee, “Comparative analysis of power losses for three-level T-type and NPC PWM inverters,” Transactions of Korean Institute of Power Electronics(KIPE), Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 173-183, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2014.19.2.173
- J. Rodriguez, S. Bernet, B. Wu, J. Pontt, and S. Kouro, “Multilevel voltage-source-converter topologies for industrial medium-voltage drives,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 6, pp. 2930-2945, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.907044
- S. Bernet, “Recent developments of high power converters for industry and traction applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 1102-1117, Nov. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.892825
- S. Bernet, E. Carroll, P. Streit, O. Apeldoorn, P. Steimer, and S. Tschirley, “10 kV IGCTs,” Industry Application Magazine, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 53-61, Mar./Apr. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIA.2005.1405827
- “Asymmetric Integrated Gate-Commutated Thyristor 5SHY 42L6500”, Datasheet, Doc. No. 5SYA1245-03 Dec. 12, ABB Switzerland Ltd., Online: www.abb.com.
- “Fast Recovery Diode 5SDF 10H6004”, Datasheet, Doc. No. 5SYA1109-03 January. 10, ABB Switzerland Ltd., Online: www.abb.com.
- “IGBT Moduled 5SNA 0750G650300”, Datasheet, Doc. No. 5SYA 1600-02 04-2012, ABB Switzerland Ltd., Online: www.abb.com.
- Alvarez, R. Filsecker, and S. Bernet, “Characterization of a new 4.5 kV press pack SPT+ IGBT for medium voltage converters,” in Proc. of the 1st IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, ECCE 2009, pp. 3954-3962, 2009.
- “Insulated Gate Bi-Polar Transistor, Type T2400GB45E”, Datasheet, T2400GB45E Nov. 2011, IXYS, Online: www.westcode.com.
- Kon, K. Nakayama, S. Yanagisawa, J. Miwa, and Y. Uetake, “The 4500V-750A planar gate press pack IEGT,” in Proc. ISPSD’98, pp. 81-84, 1988.
- K. Ichikawa, M. Tsukakoshi, and R. Nakajima, "Higher efficiency three-level inverter employing IEGTs," in Proc. 19th Annu. IEEE APEC, Vol. 3, pp. 1663-1668, 2004.
- World Market Update 2008 (Forecast 2009-2013), BTM Consult ApS, Ringøkbing Denmark, Mar. 2009.
- S. Kouro, M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Pou, L. G. Franquelo, B.Wu, J. Rodriguez, M. A. Perez, and J. I. Leon, “Recent advances and industrial applications of multilevel converters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2553-2580, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049719
- J. Rodriguez, S. Bernet, P. K. Steimer, and I. E. Lizama, “A survey on neutral-point-clamped inverters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 2219-2230, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2032430
- O. Senturk, L. Helle, S. Munk-Nielsen, P. Rodriguez, and R. Teodorescu, “Power capability investigation based on electro-thermal models of press-pack IGBT three-level NPC and ANPC VSCs for multi-MW wind turbines,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 7, pp. 3195-3206, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2182661
- Y. S. Suh, J. Steinke, and P. Steimer, “Efficiency comparison of voltage source and current source drive system for medium voltage applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 2521-2531, Oct. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.900352
- A. Faulstich, J. K. Steinke, and F. Wittwer, “Medium voltage converter for permanent magnet generators up to 5MW,” in Proc. Eur. Conf. Power Electron. Appl., pp. 1-9, 2005.
- A. Zuckerberger, E. Suter, C. Schaub, A. Klett, and P. Steimer, “Design, simulation and realization of high power NPC converters equipped with IGCTs,” in Proc. of the Thirty-Third IAS Annual Meeting, Vol. 2, pp.865-872, 1998.
- Rectifier Dynamic Electro-Thermal Simulation for Power Factor Correction in Electric Vehicles Application vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.5.1153
- Automatic Command Mode Transition Strategy of Direct Power Control for PMSG MV Offshore Wind Turbines vol.21, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2016.21.3.238
- A Meta-Parameterized Approach for the Evaluation of Semiconductor Technologies vol.7, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1541/ieejjia.7.210