- Volume 35 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Quality Properties of Sausages Made with Replacement of Pork with Corn Starch, Chicken Breast and Surimi during Refrigerated Storage
Seo, Hyun-Woo;Kang, Geun-Ho;Cho, Soo-Hyun;Ba, Hoa Van;Seong, Pil-Nam
- 투고 : 2015.06.05
- 심사 : 2015.08.19
- 발행 : 2015.10.31
This effect of replacing pork with corn starch, chicken breast and surimi on the chemical composition, physical, texture and sensory properties of sausage were investigated during storage. Five treatments of sausage such as; T1 (10:0:0, %), T2 (10:5:0, %), T3 (10:10:5, %), T4 (10:15:10, %) and T5 (10:20:15, %) were prepared with replacement of pork with corn starch, chicken breast and surimi. The sausage made with pork meat served as control (C). The sausage in the control had higher moisture and fat contents, but lower protein content than the treatments (p<0.05). The sausages in the T2 and T5 had decreased pH values after 3 wk storage (p<0.05). The lightness value was lowest in the T3, while the yellowness values were lowest in the T5 during the storage. The TBARS (2-thiobarbituric acid reactive substance) values were lowest in the control in all storage times (p<0.05). However, the sausage in the control had higher VBN (volatile basic nitrogen) value than the treatments during the 1 wk storage (p<0.05). All treatments had significantly higher hardness, cohesiveness, springiness, gumminess and chewiness values (p<0.05) than the control. The results indicated that corn starch, chicken breast and surimi can used as a pork replacer, that it also improves the physicochemical and texture properties of pork sausages.
- Pikul, J., Leszczynski, D. E., and Kummerow, F. A. (1989) Evaluation of three modified TBA method for measuring lipid oxidation in chicken meat. J. Agric. Food Chem. 37, 1309-1313. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00089a022
- Qiu, S., Yadav, M. P., Liu, Y., Chen, H., Tatsumi, E., and Yin, L. (2015) Effects of corn fiber gum with different molecular weights on the gelatinization behaviors of corn and wheat starch. Food Hydrocoll. In Press.
- Ressurreccion, A. V. A. (2004) Sensory aspects of consumer choices for meat and meat products. Meat Sci. 66, 11-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(03)00021-4
- SAS (2008) SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 9.2, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Troutt, E. S., Hunt, M. C., Johnson, D. E., Claus, J. R., Kastner, C. L., and Kropf, D. H. (1992) Characterics of low-fat ground beef containing texture-modifiying ingredients. J. Food Sci. 57, 19-24. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb05415.x
- Varnam, A. H. and Sutherland, J. P. (1995) Meat and meat products. Chapman & Hall, London.
- Bloukas, J. G. and Paneras, E. D. (1993) Substituting olive oil for pork backfat affects quality of low-fat frankfurters. J. Food Sci. 58, 705-709. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1993.tb09339.x
- Aktaş, N. and Gençcelep, H. (2006) Effect of starch type and its modifications on physicochemical properties of bologna-type sausage produced with sheep tail fat. Meat Sci. 74, 404-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.012
- Barbut, S. and Mittal, G. S. (1992) Use of carrageenans and xanthan gum in reduced fat breakfast sausage. LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 25, 509-513.
- Beggs, K. L. H., Bowers, J. A., and Brown, D. (1997) Sensory and physical characteristics of reduced-fat turkey frankfurters with modified corn starch and water. J. Food Sci. 62, 1240-1244. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1997.tb12253.x
- Berry, B. W. and Wergin, W. P. (1993) Modified pregelatinized potato starch in low fat ground beef patties. J. Muscle Food 4, 305-320. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1993.tb00511.x
- Bhattacharyya, D., Sinhamahapatra, M., and Biswas, S. (2007) Preparation of sausage from spent duck - An acceptability study. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 42, 24-29. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2006.01194.x
- Desmond, E. M., Troy, D. J., and Buckley, D. J. (1998) The effects of tapioca starch, oat fiber and whey protein on the physical and sensory properties of low-fat beef burgers. LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 31, 653-657. https://doi.org/10.1006/fstl.1998.0415
- Colmenero, F. J., Carballo, J., and Solas, M. T. (1995) The effect of use of freeze-thawed pork on the properties of bologna sausages with two fat levels. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 30, 335-345.
- Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage (1978). Recommendations on uniform color spaces - Color differences equations, psychometric color terms. Supplement No. 2, CIE Publication No. 15 (E-1.3.1).
- Deda, M. S., Bloukas, J. G., and Fista, G. A. (2007) Effect of tomato paste and nitrite level on processing and quality characteristics of frankfurters. Meat Sci. 76, 501-508. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.01.004
- Aleson-Carbonell, L., Fernandez-Lopez, J., Perez-Alvarez, J. A., and Kuri, V. (2005) Characteristics of beef burger as influenced by various types of lemon albedo. Innov. Food Sci. Emerg. Technol. 6, 247-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2005.01.002
- Antonomanolaki, R. E., Vareltzis, K. P., Georgakis, S. A., and Kaldrymidou, E. (1999) Thermal gelation properties of surimi-like material made from sheep meat. Meat Sci. 52, 429-435. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00026-1
- AOAC (2000) Official methods of analysis (17th ed.). Gaithersburgh, Maryland, USA: Association of Official Analytical Chemists.
- Banwart, G. J. (1981) Basic food microbiology. Avi Publishing Company, Inc, Westport, CT, USA.
- Baranowska, H. M., Rezler, R., Poliszko, S., Dolata, W., Piotrowska, E., and Piatek, M. (2004) Starch as a functional addition in meat batters. Starch, From starch containing sources to isolation of starches and their applications. Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York, pp. 115-123.
- Jin, S. K., Kim, I. S., Kim, S. J., Jeong, K. J., Choi, Y. J., and Hur, S. J. (2007) Effect of muscle type and washing times on physico-chemical characteristics and qualities of surimi. J. Food Eng. 81, 618-623. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2007.01.001
- Honikel, K. O. (1987) The water binding of meat. Fleischwirtschaft 67, 1098-1102.
- Hu, F. B. (2005) Protein, body weight, and cardiovascular health. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 82, 242-247. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/82.1.242S
- Jay, J. M. (1992) Indicators of food microbial quality and safety. Modern food microbiology, Chapman and Hall, NY, USA, pp. 413-433.
- Lanier, T. C. (2000) Surimi gelation chemistry. In J. W. Park (Ed.), Surimi and Surimi Seafood (pp. 237-265). New York: Marcel Dekker.
- Lee, C. M. (1986) Surimi manufacturing and fabrication of surimi based products. Food Technol. 40, 115-124.
- Bou, R., Codony, R., Tres, A., Decker, E. A., and Guardiola, F. (2009) Dietary strategies to improve nutritional value, oxidative stability, and sensory properties of poultry products. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 49, 800-822. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408390902911108
- Carballo, J., Baretto, G., and Colmenero, F. J. (1995) Starch and egg white influence on properties of bologna sausage as related to fat content. J. Food Sci. 60, 673-677. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1995.tb06204.x
- Cavestanty, M., Colmenero, F. J., Solas, M. T., and Carballo, J. (1994) Incorporation of sardine surimi in bologna sausage containing different fat levels. Meat Sci. 38, 27-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90093-0
- Choe, J. H., Kim, H. Y., Lee, J. M., Kim, Y. J., and Kim, C. J. (2013) Quality of frankfurter-type sausages with added pig skin and wheat fiber mixture as fat replacers. Meat Sci. 93, 849-854. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.11.054
- Ockerman, H. W. and Kesh, J. C. (1982) Dried pork as influenced by nitrate, packaging method and storage. J. Food Sci. 47, 1631-1634. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1982.tb04999.x
- Mcmillin, K. W., Felchle, S. E., Dugass, S. M., and Koh, K. C. (1991) Flavor and oxidative stability of ground beef patties as affected by source and storage. J. Food Sci. 56, 899-902. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1991.tb14601.x
- Meilgaard, M., Civille, G., and Carr, B. (1991) Sensory evaluation techniques (2nd ed.). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Ockerman, H. W. (1985) Quality control of post-mortem muscle tissue, vol. MD. Ohio: Ohio State Univ.
- Ozvural, E. B. and Vural, H. (2011) Grape seed flour is a viable ingredient to improve the nutritional profile and reduce lipid oxidation of frankfurters. Meat Sci. 88, 179-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.12.022
- Pietrasik, Z. (1999) Effect of content of protein, fat and modified starch on binding textural characteristics, and colour of comminuted scalded sausages. Meat Sci. 51, 17-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00068-0
- Dexter, D. R., Sofos, J. N., and Schmidt, G. R. (1993) Quality characteristics of Turkey bologna formulated with carrageenan, starch, milk and soy protein. J. Muscle Foods 4, 207-223. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1993.tb00503.x
- Eagan, H., Kirk, R. S., and Sawyer, R. (1981) Pearson's Chemical Analysis of Foods (8th ed.) Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.
- Gray, J. I., Gomaa, E. A., and Buckley, D. J. (1996) Oxidative quality and shelf life of meats. Meat Sci. 43, S111-S123.
- Gregg, L. L., Claus, J. R., Hackney, C. R., and Marriott, N. G. (1993) Low-fat, high added water bologna from massaged, minced batter. J. Food Sci. 58, 259-264. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1993.tb04251.x
- Guerrero-Legarreta, I. and Hui, Y. H. (2010) Processed poultry products: A primer. Handbook of Poultry Science and Technology, Vol. 2, Wiley, pp. 3-10.
- Li, J. Y. and Yeh, A. I. (2002) Functions of starch in formation of starch/meat composite during heating. J. Texture Studies 33, 341-366. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.2002.tb01353.x
- Li, J. Y. and Yeh, A. I. (2003) Effects of starch properties on rheological characteristics of starch/meat complexes. J. Food Eng. 57, 287-294 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(02)00309-6
- Liu, H. W., Xiong, Y. L., Jiang, L. Z., and Kong, B. H. (2008) Fat reduction in emulsion sausage using an enzyme-modified potato starch. J. Sci. Food Agric. 88, 1632-1637. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.3260
- Mansour, E. H. and Khalil, A. H. (1997) Characteristics of low-fat beef burgers as influenced by various types of wheat fibers. Food Res. Int. 30, 199-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(97)00043-4
- Physicochemical Properties, Fatty Acid Profiles, and Sensory Characteristics of Fermented Beef Sausage by ProbioticsLactobacillus plantarumIIA-2C12 orLactobacillus acidophilusIIA-2B4 vol.81, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2015.35.5.638
- Properties of Frankfurter-type Sausages with Pork Back-fat Replaced with Bovine Heart Surimi-like Materials vol.36, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2015.35.5.638
연구 과제번호 : 혼합육제품의 품질규격 설정 연구