- Volume 25 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Application of the Lees of Domestic Traditional Wine and its Useful Biological Activity
국내 전통주 주박의 이용과 유용생리활성
- Received : 2015.09.18
- Accepted : 2015.09.30
- Published : 2015.09.30
The lees of Korean traditional wine called as Jubak or Sul-jigemi in Korea is byproduct from alcohol fermentation industry, which is remnant of fermentation broth after filtration, centrifugation, distillation, or sedimentation during aging. Since, Korean traditional wines are produced from edible plant sources such as rice, foxtail millet, fruits and medicinal herbs with nuruk (a traditional fermentation starter and starch degrader), the Jubak from rice wine (takju), medicinal herb wine (yakju) and fruits wine are considered as safe byproduct and have various useful bioactivity. Considering the recent rapid increased production of Jubak from takju industry, and the reinforcement of dispose of Jubak as waste material in worldwide, the development of efficient reuse process for Jubak is necessary in traditional wine industry. In this review, the status of current industry, research and patent trends in relation with Jubak production, treatment, utilization and renewal was analyzed and different bioactive compounds including phenolic acids from Jubak were provided. Jubak is not any more waste material, and is the source of bioactive functional materials for food, cosmetics and medicinal industry. To develop the efficient and economic renewal technology including recovery process for bioactive substances from Jubak, systematic collaboration and research among the industry, academy and government is necessary.
Bioactivity;bioactive substances;jubak;lees of Korean traditional wine
- Won, J. H., Son, J. A., Youn, A. R., Kim H. J., Kim, G. W. and Noh, B. S. 2006. Quality characteristics of pork with addition of Jubak (Sulchigegie). Kor. J. Food Culture 21, 565-570.
- Yoo, J. M., Kang, Y. J., Pyo, H. B., Choung, E. S., Park, S. Y., Choi, J. H., Han, G. J., Lee, C. H. and Kim, T. J. 2010. Anti-wrinkle effects of Korean rice wine cake on human fibroblast. J. Life Sci. 20, 1838-1843. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.12.1838
- Yun, C. S., Kim, H. A. and Kim, Y. S. 2015. Quality characteristics of muffin added with Makgeolli lees. Kor. J. Culinary Res. 21, 198-211.
- Son, J. B. 2013. Anti-obesity, anti-oxidation, anti-inflammation and anti-cancer activities of jubak and nuruk extracts. M.S. Dissertation. Andong University, Andong, Korea.
- Son, J. B., Lee, S. H., Sohn. H. Y., Shin, W. C. and Kim, J. S. 2015. Anti-adipogenic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-proliferative activities of extracts from Lees and Nuruk. J. Life Sci. 25, 773-779. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2015.25.7.773
- Lee, S. M., Lee, S. J., Kwon, Y. Y., Baek, S. H., Kim, J. S., Sohn, H. Y. and Shin, W. C. 2014. Skin whitening and anti-wrinkle effects of extract from Jubak of oriental herbal liquor. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 43, 1695-1700. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.11.1695
- Lim, J. M., Kwon, H. J., Yong, S. E., Choi, J. H., Lee, C. H., Kim, T. J., Park, P. S., Choi, Y. H., Kim, E. M. and Park, S. Y. 2013. Antioxidant activity and quality characteristics of rice wine cakes cookies with different ratio of Astragalus membranaceus. Kor. J. Food Cookery Sci. 29, 11-18. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.1.11
- Lim, Y. S., Bae, S. M. and Kim, K. 2004. Production of yeast spores from rice wine cake. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 32, 184-189.
- Moon, K. H., Yoon, J. W., Yoon, C. S. and Kim, S. W. 1998. Selection of optimum medium for mass production of Metarhizium anisopliae ARS 978. Kor. J. Pesticide Science 2, 90-96.
- Park, M. J. 2014. Suppressive effects of extracts and solvent fractions of rice wine lees on inflammation in RAW 264.7 cells. M.S. Dissertation. Andong University, Andong, Korea.
- Park, M. J., Kang, H. T., Kim, M. S., Shin, W. C., Sohn, H. Y. and Kim, J. S. 2014. Anti-inflammatory effects of extracts and their solvent fractions of rice wine lees. J. Life Sci. 24, 843-850. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.8.843
- Park, Y. R. 2013. Quality characteristics of cucumber Jangachi using Sake cake by salt concentration and storage period. M.S. Dissertation. Myongji University, Seoul, Korea.
- Perez-Bibbins, B., Torrado-Agrasar, A., Slagado, J. M. and Pinhero de Souza Olivera, R. 2015. Potential of lees fromwine, beer, and cider manufacturing as a source of economic nutrients: An overview. Waste Manag. 40, 72-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2015.03.009
- Kim, M. S., Lee, Y. S., Kim, J. S., Shin, W. C. and Sohn, H. Y. 2015. Evaluation of in-vitro antithrombosis and anti-oxidation activity of lees of takju (Wookukseng). J. Life Sci. 25, 425-432. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2015.25.4.425
- Kim, S. M. and Cho, W. K. 2006. Effect of takju (Korean turbid rice wine) lees on the serum glucose levels in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Kor. J. Food Culture 21, 638-643.
- Kim, S. M., Yoon, C. H. and Cho, W. K. 2007. Quality characteristics of noodle added with Takju (Korean turbid rice wine) lees. Kor. J. Food Culture 22, 359-364.
- Kim, T. Y., Jeon, T. W., Yeo, S. H., Kim, S. B., Kim, J. S. and Kwak, J. S. 2010. Antimicrobial, antioxidant and SOD-like activity effect of Jubak extracts. Kor. J. Food Nutr. 23, 299-305.
- Ko, Y. S. and Sim, K. H. 2014. Quality characteristics and antioxidant activity of Jeung-pyun added with Ju-bak powder. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life 24, 190-200.
- Kwon, S. C., Jeon, T. W., Park. J. S., Kwak, J. S. and Kim, T. Y. 2012. Inhibitory effect on tyrosinase, ACE, and xanthine oxidase and nitrite scavenging activities of Jubak (alcohol filter cake) extracts. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 41, 1191-1196. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.9.1191
- Lee, J. H., Park, S. M., Park, C. D., Jung, H. J., Kim, H. S. and Yu, T. S. 2007. Characteristics of Ju-back and effect of Ju-back fertilizer on growth of crop plants. J. Life Sci. 17, 1562-1570. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2007.17.11.1562
- Lee, J. P. 2008. Qualitative characteristics of brown sauce with added Jubak and chicken meat marinated in Jubak. Ph.D. dissertation, Sejong University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, M. S. 2010. Dietary fiber from lees of unpolished rice: clinical effect on the obese. M.S. Dissertation, Ajou University, Suwon, Korea.
- Kang, Y. J., Park, S. J., Bae, K., Yoo, J. M., Pyo, H. B., Choi, J. H. and Kim, T. J. 2011. Ethyl acetate extract of Korean rice wine lees inhibits IgE-Mediated degranulation in rat basophile leukemia RBL-2H3 cells and passive cutaneous anaphylaxisin mice. J. Life Sci. 21, 1364-1369. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.10.1364
- Kim, E. K. 2010. Effects of lees from brown rice on waist circumference and metabolic parameters in type 2 diabetes: A randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial. M.S. Dissertation, Ajou University, Suwon, Korea.
- Kim, D. N., Lee, J. B. and Kim, D. H. 2010. Research of effective method for pellet using Jubak. New & Renewable Energy 17, 247-247.
- Kim, I. S., Ryu, S. J., Choe, Y. H., Park, Y. G., Kim, G. W. and Bae, J. H. 2009. Effects of distiller solubles (Bekseju) application on the growth of rice plant (Oryza sativa L.) and improvement of soil fertility. Kor. J. Oranic Agri. 11, 306-306.
- Kim, J. H., Choi, S. H., Hong, Y. A., Kim, D. H., Lee, W. H., Rhee, C. H. and Park, H. D. 2008. Isolation and characterization of tartaric acid-degrading bacteria from Korean grape wine pomace. Kor. J. Food Preserv. 15, 483-490
- Kim, M. S., Kang, D. K., Shin, W. C. and Sohn, H. Y. 2015. Anti-microbial, anti-oxidant, and anti-thrombosis activities of the lees of Bokbunja wine (Rubus coreanus Miquel). J. Life Sci. 25, 757-764. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2015.25.7.757
- Kim, M. S., Lee, Y. S., Kim, J. S., Shin, W. C. and Sohn, H. Y. 2014. Anti-microbial and anti-thrombosis activities of lees of sweet potato soju. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 42, 258-266. https://doi.org/10.4014/kjmb.1405.05005
- Kim, M. S., Lee, Y. S., Kim, J. S., Shin, W. C. and Sohn, H. Y. 2014. Evaluation of in-vitro antithrombosis activity of lees of Korean traditional wine. J. Life Sci. 24, 865-872. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.8.865
- Cho, E. J., Yang, M. O. and Kang, H. J. 2007. Physicochemical characteristics of Yackwa with added rice wine cake. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life 17, 94-102.
- Cho, S. Y., Park, J. W. and Rhee, C. 1998. Edible films from protein concentrates of rice wine meal. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 30, 1097-1106.
- Cho, Y. H., Cho, J. S., Kim, J. Y., Kim, U. S., Choi, J. H. and Park, J. H. 2013. Quality characteristics of sulgidduk with makgeolli lees. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life 23, 227-233.
- Jung, B. J. 2002. Effects of spray dried Takju cake powder on the quality of white pan bread. M.S. dissertation, Hankyong University, Anseong, Korea.
- Jung, H. N., Kim, H. O., Shim, H. H., Jung, H. S. and Choi, O. J. 2012. Quality characteristics of low-salt yacon jangach iusing rice wine lees during storage. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 41, 383-389. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.3.383
- Jung, I. C. and Moon, Y. H. 2005. Effects on quality characteristics of pork loin fed with wild grape (Vitis amurensis Ruprecht) wine by-product. Kor. J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 25, 168-174.
- Kang, H. T. 2015. Anti-proliferative and anti-inflammatory activities of solvent fractions of lees extracts. M.S. Dissertation. Andong University, Andong, Korea.
- Kang, H. T., Lee, S. H., Kim, S. Y., Kim, M. S., Shin, W. C., Sohn, H. Y. and Kim, J. S. 2014. Anti-proliferative activities of solvent fractions of lees extract in human colorectal HCT116 cells. J. Life Sci. 24, 967-972. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.9.967
- Preparation and characteristics of yogurt added with Korean rice wine lees powder vol.59, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2016.058