- Volume 25 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Phylogenetic Characterization of White Hanwoo Using the Mitochondrial Cytochrome b Gene
mtDNA cytochrome b 분석을 통한 백한우의 계통유전학적 특성 분석
- Received : 2015.06.19
- Accepted : 2015.08.10
- Published : 2015.09.30
The goals of this study were to identify sequence variations in the mitochondrial cytochrome b (mtDNA cyt b) gene in White Hanwoo (Wh) and the genetic relationship between the Wh and other breeds. When whole sequences of the mtDNA cyt b gene in 14 Wh cattle were determined, a silent mutation and two haplotypes were detected in the Wh cattle. The major haplotype, H1, was found in 13 of 14 individuals in the Wh cattle. Haplotype diversity and nucleotide diversity were 0.143 and 0.00013, respectively. Compared to previous reports, these levels of genetic diversity are lower than other Korean and Chinese breeds. To identify the genetic relationship among Korean, Chinese, Japanese, and European cattle breeds, the neighbor-joining (NJ) tree was constructed based on Dxy genetic distances. Two distinct groups were identified and classified as A and B. Wh was found in the A group, which consisted of Bos taurus breeds. From calculating the Dxy genetic distances, Wh was found to be genetically more closely related to two breeds, Heugu (0.00018) and Yanbian (0.00021), than to other breeds. In conclusion, Wh is genetically related to Chikso, Heugu, and Yanbian breeds based on maternal inheritance. The results of this study will be useful for efficient management and sustainable utilization of Wh.
Cattle;cytochrome b;mtDNA;relationship;White Hanwoo
- Tolone, M., Mastrangelo, S., Rosa, A. J. M. and Portolano, B. 2012. Genetic diversity and population structure of Sicilian sheep breeds using microsatellite markers. Small Ruminant Res. 102, 18-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2011.09.010
- Lee, S. S., Han, S. H., Cho, I. C., Ko, M. S., Jung, H. Y., Kim, N. Y., Kim, J. H. and Yoon, D. H. 2012. A molecular marker and genetic method for detection of albino in Bos taurus coreanae. Korea patent 10-2010-0133249.
- Leipold, H. W., Huston, K. and Gelatt, K. N. 1968. Complete albinism in a Guernsey calf. J. Hered. 59, 218-220.
- Librado, P. and Rozas, J. 2009. DnaSP v5: A software for comprehensive analysis of DNA polymorphism data. Bioinformatics 25, 1451-1452. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btp187
- Mannen, H., Kohno, M., Nagata, Y., Tsuji, S., Bradley, D. G., Yeo, J. S., Nyamsamba, D., Zagdsuren, Y., Yokohama, M., Nomura, K. and Amano, T. 2004. Independent mitochondrial origin and historical genetic differentiation in North Eastern Asian cattle. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 32, 539-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2004.01.010
- Saitou, N. and Nei, M. 1987. The neighbor-joining method: A new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4, 406.
- Serrano, M., Calvo, J. J., Martínez, M., Marcos-Carcavilla, A., Cuevas, J., González, C., Jurado, J. J. and Díez de Tejada, P. 2009. Microsatellite based genetic diversity and population structure of the endangered Spanish Guadarrama goat breed. BMC Genet. 10, 61.
- Schmutz, S. M., Berryere, T. G., Ciobanu, D. C., Mileham, A. J., Schmidtz, B. H. and Fredholm, M. 2004. A form of albinism in cattle is caused by a tyrosinase frameshift mutation. Mamm. Genome 15, 62-67. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00335-002-2249-5
- Thompson, J. D., Higgins, D. G. and Gibson, T. I. 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucl. Acids Res. 22, 4673-4680. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.22.4673
- Greene, H. J., Leipold, H. W., Gelatt, K. M. and Huston, K. 1973. Complete albinism in beef Shorthorn calves. J. Hered. 64, 189-192.
- Kikkawa, Y., Takada, T., Sutopo, Nomura, K., Namikawa, T., Yonekawa, H. and Amano, T. 2003. Phylogenies using mtDNA and SRY provise evidence for male-mediated introgression in Asian domestic cattle. Anim. Genet. 34, 96-101. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.2003.00956.x
- Kim, J. H., Byun, M. J., Kim, M. J., Suh, S. W., Ko, Y. G., Lee, C. W., Jung, K. S., Kim, E. S., Yu, D. J., Kim, W. H. and Choi, S. B. 2013. mtDNA diversity and phylogenetic state of Korean cattle breed, Chikso. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 26, 163-170. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12499
- Kim, J. H., Byun, M. J., Kim, M. J., Suh, S. W., Kim, Y. S., Ko, Y. G., Kim, S. W., Jung, K. S., Kim, D. H. and Choi, S. B. 2013. Phylogenetic analysis of Korean black cattle based on the mitochondrial cytochrome b gene. J. Life Sci. 23, 24-30. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.1.24
- Kim, K. I., Lee, J. H., Li, K., Zhang, Y. P. and Lee, S. S., Gongora, J. and Moran, C. 2002. Phylogenetic relationships of Asian and European pig breeds determined by mitochondrial DNA D-loop sequence polymorphism. Anim. Genet. 33, 19-25. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.2002.00784.x
- Kim, K. I., Lee, J. H., Lee, S. S. and Yang, Y. H. 2003. Phylogenetic relationships of Northeast Asian cattle to other cattle populations determined using mitochondrial DNA D-Loop sequence polymorphism. Biochem. Genet. 41, 91-98. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022021900205
- Kim, S. W., Choi, J. S., Choe, C. Y., Kim, D. G., Ko, Y. G., So, C. S. and Seong, H. H. 2015. Studies on the estimation of pregnancy rate of White Hanwoo (albino Korean native cattle) with sexed semen. J. Emb. Trans. 30, 45-50. https://doi.org/10.12750/JET.2015.30.1.45
- Lai, S. J., Liu, Y. P., Liu, Y. X., Li, X. W. and Yao, Y. G. 2006. Genetic diversity and origin of Chinese cattle revealed by mtDNA D-loop sequence variation. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 38, 146-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2005.06.013
- Birren, B., Green, E. D., Klapholz, S., Myers, R. M. and Roskams, J. 1997. Genome analysis: A Laboratory Manual (USA: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press).
- Cai, X., Chen, H., Lei, C., Wang, S., Xue, K. and Zhang, B. 2007. mtDNA diversity and genetic lineages of eighteen cattle breeds from Bos taurus and Bos indicus in China. Genetica 131, 175-183. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10709-006-9129-y
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations). 2007. Global Plan of Action for Animal Genetic Resources and the Interlaken Declaration. available at http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/a1404e/a1404e00.htm.
- Foreman, M. E., Lamoreux, M. L., Kwon, B. and Womack, J. E. 1994. Mapping the bovine albino locus. J. Hered. 85, 318-320.
- Georgescu, S. E., Manea, M. A., Dudu, A. and Costache, M. 2011. Phylogenetic relationships of the Hucul horse from Romania inferred from mitochondrial D-loop variation. Genet. Mol. Res. 10, 4104-4113. https://doi.org/10.4238/2011.October.31.7