- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Novel GPU Power Model for Accurate Smartphone Power Breakdown
- Kim, Young Geun (Division of Computer and Communication Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Kim, Minyong (Division of Computer and Communication Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Kim, Jae Min (Division of Computer and Communication Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Sung, Minyoung (Department of Mechanical and Information Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Chung, Sung Woo (Division of Computer and Communication Engineering, Korea University)
- Received : 2013.12.27
- Accepted : 2014.05.17
- Published : 2015.02.01
As GPU power consumption in smartphones increases with more advanced graphic performance, it becomes essential to estimate GPU power consumption accurately. The conventional GPU power model assumes, simply, that a GPU consumes constant power when turned on; however, this is no longer true for recent smartphone GPUs. In this paper, we propose an accurate GPU power model for smartphones, considering newly adopted dynamic voltage and frequency scaling. For the proposed GPU power model, our evaluation results show that the error rate for system power estimation is as low as 2.9%, on average, and 4.6% in the worst case.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Ministry of Knowledge Economy (MKE)
- M. Kim and S.W. Chung, "Accurate GPU Power Estimation for Mobile Device Power Profiling," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Consum. Electron., Las Vegas, NV, USA, Jan. 11-14, 2013, pp. 183-184.
- D. You and K.S. Chung, "Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling Framework for Low-Power Embedded GPUs," Electron. Lett., vol. 48, no. 21, Oct. 2012, pp. 1333-1334. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2012.2624
- L. Zhang et al., "Accurate Online Power Estimation and Automatic Battery Behavior Based Power Model Generation for Smartphones," IEEE/ACM/IFIP, Conf. Hardware/Software Codes. Syst. Synthesis, Scottsdale, AZ, USA, Oct. 24-29, 2010, pp. 105-114.
- M. Kim, J. Kong, and S.W. Chung, "Enhancing Online Power Estimation Accuracy for Smartphones," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 58, no. 2, May 2012, pp. 333-339. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2012.6227431
- A. Pathak et al., "Fine-Grained Power Modeling for Smartphones Using System Call Tracing," Proc. European Conf. Comput. Syst., Salzburg, Austria, Apr. 10-13, 2011, pp. 153-168.
- PowerMonitor, Monsoon Solutions, 2008. Accessed Dec. 20, 2013. http://www.msoon.com/LabEquipment/PowerMonitor/