- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
System of Systems Approach to Formal Modeling of CPS for Simulation-Based Analysis
- Lee, Kyou Ho (Department of Information and Communications Engineering, Inje University) ;
- Hong, Jeong Hee (Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Kim, Tag Gon (Department of Electrical Engineering, KAIST)
- Received : 2014.07.16
- Accepted : 2014.11.21
- Published : 2015.02.01
This paper presents a system-of-systems (SoS) approach to the formal modeling of a cyber-physical system (CPS) for simulation-based analysis. The approach is based on a convergence technology for modeling and simulation of a highly complex system in which SoS modeling methodology, hybrid systems modeling theory, and simulation interoperation technology are merged. The methodology maps each constituent system of a CPS to a disparate model of either continuous or discrete types. The theory employs two formalisms for modeling of the two model types with formal specification of interfaces between them. Finally, the technology adapts a simulation bus called DEVS BUS whose protocol synchronizes time and exchange messages between subsystems simulation. Benefits of the approach include reusability of simulation models and environments, and simulation-based analysis of subsystems of a CPS in an inter-relational manner.
Grant : 미래전자통신 인재양성사업단
- E.A. Lee, "Cyber Physical Systems: Design Challenges," IEEE Int. Symp., Object Oriented Real-Time Distrib. Comput., Orlando, FL, USA, May 5-7, 2008, pp. 363-369.
- Y.J. Kim, J.H. Kim, and T.G. Kim, "Heterogeneous Simulation Framework Using DEVS BUS," SIMULATION : Trans. Soc. Modeling Simulation Int., vol. 79, no. 1, Jan. 2003, pp. 3-18. https://doi.org/10.1177/0037549703253543
- IEEE Std. 1516-2000, IEEE Standard for Modeling and Simulation (M&S) High Level Archit. (HLA) - Framework and Rules, IEEE, New York, NY, USA, ISBN: 0-7381-2619-5, 2001.
- IEEE Std. 1516-2000, IEEE Standard for Modeling and Simulation (M&S) High Level Archit. (HLA) - Federate Interface Specification, IEEE, New York, NY, USA, ISBN: 0-7381-2621-7, 2001.
- IEEE Std. 1516-2000, IEEE Standard for Modeling and Simulation (M&S) High Level Archit. (HLA) - Object Model Template (OMT) Specification, IEEE, New York, NY, USA, ISBN: 0-7381-2623-3, 2001.
- Z. Manna and A. Pnueli, "The Temporal Logic of Reactive and Concurrent Systems," New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag New York, 1992.
- R. Koymans, "Specifying Real-Time Properties with Metric Temporal Logic," Real-Time Syst., vol. 2, no. 4, Nov. 1990, pp. 255-299. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01995674
- C.A.R. Hoare, "Communicating Sequential Processes," Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall, 1985.
- R. Milner, "Communication and Concurrency," Upper Saddle River, Nj, USA: Prentice Hall, 1989.
- P.W. Glynn, "A GSMP Formalism for Discrete Event Systems," Proc. IEEE, vol. 77, no. 1, Jan. 1989, pp. 14-23. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.21067
- R. Cuninghame-Green, "Minimax Algebra, Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems 166," New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag New York, 1979.
- A. Gill, "Introduction to the Theory of Finite-State Machines," New York, NY, USA: Mc-Graw Hill, 1962.
- Z. Kohavi, "Switching and Finite Automata Theory," 2nd ed., New York, NY, USA: McGraw-Hill, 1978.
- J.L. Peterson, "Petri Net Theory and the Modeling of Systems," Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall, June 1981.
- G. Noubir, D.R. Stephens, and P. Raja, "Specification of Timed Finite State Machine in Z for Distributed Real-Time Systems," Proc. IEEE Workshop Future Trends Distrib. Comput. Syst., Lisbon, Portugal, Sept. 22-24, 1993, pp. 319-325.
- M.A. Holliday and M.K. Vernon, "A Generalized Timed Petri Net Model for Performance Analysis," IEEE Trans. Softw. Eng., vol. 13, no. 12, 1987, pp. 1297-1310.
- A.I. Concepcion and B.F. Zeigler, "DEVS Formalism: A Framework for Hierarchical Model Development," IEEE Trans. Softw. Eng., vol. 14, no. 2, 1988, pp. 228-241. https://doi.org/10.1109/32.4640
- E.M. Clarke, O. Grumberg, and D.A. Peled, "Model Checking," Cambridge, MA, USA: MIT Press, 1999.
- S. Owre et al., "PVS: Combining Specification, Proof Checking, and Model Checking," Comput.-Aided Verification, 1996, pp. 411-414.
- K. Havelund and N. Shankar, "Experiments in Theorem Proving and Model Checking for Protocol Verification," in FME: Ind. Benefit Adv. Formal Methods, Berlin, Germany: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 1996, pp. 662-681.
- J. Rushby, "Theorem Proving for Verification," in Modeling and Verification of Parallel Processes, Berlin, Germany: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2001, pp. 39-57.
- J.-Y. Kim et al., "Abstracted CPS Model: A Model for Interworking between Physical System and Simulator for CPS Simulation (WIP)," Proc. Symp. Theory Modeling Simulation - DEVS Integr. M&S Symp., SCS/ACM, Orlando, FL, USA, Mar. 26-29, 2012.
- D. Henriksson and H. Elmqvist, "Cyber-Physical Systems Modeling and Simulation with Modelica," Proc. Int. Modelica Conf., Dresden, Germany, Mar. 2011, pp. 502-509.
- M. Jamshidi, "System of Systems Engineering - New Challenges for the 21st Century," IEEE Aerosp. Electron. Syst. Mag., vol. 23, no. 5, May 2008, pp. 4-19. https://doi.org/10.1109/MAES.2008.4523909
- J.E. Campbell et al., System of Systems Modeling and Analysis, SAND REPORT SAND2005-0020, Sandia National Laboratories, Jan. 2005.
- S.M. White, "Modeling a System of Systems to Analyze Requirements," Annual IEEE Int. Syst. Conf., Vancouver, Canada, Mar. 23-26, 2009, pp. 83-89.
- P. Boily and N. Harrison, "A Simulation System of Systems to Assess Military Aircraft Protection," IEEE Int. Syst. Conf., Vancouver, Canada, Mar. 19-22, 2012, pp. 1-6.
- B. Wang and J.S. Baras, "HybridSim: A Modeling and Cosimulation Toolchain for Cyber-Physical Systems," Proc. IEEE/ACM Int. Symp. Distrib. Simulation Real Time Appl., Delft, Netherlands, Oct. 30-Nov. 1, 2013, pp. 33-40.
- P.J. Antsaklis and X.D. Koutsoukos, "Hybrid Systems: Review and Recent Progress," in Softw.-Enabled Contr.: Inform. Technol. Dynamical Syst., Hoboken, NJ, USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2003, pp. 273-298.
- R. Goebel, R.G. Sanfelice, and A.R. Teel, "Hybrid Dynamical Systems," IEEE Contr. Syst., vol. 29, no. 2, Apr. 2009, pp. 28-93. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCS.2008.931718
- K.H. Johansson, J. Lygeros, and S. Sastry, "Modeling of Hybrid Systems," Contr. Syst., Robot. Autom., vol. 15, UNESCO Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS).
- H. Zheng, "Operational Semantics of Hybrid System," Ph.D. dissertation, Department of EECS, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA, 2007.
- A. Borshchev, Y. Karpov, and V. Kharitonov, "Distributed Simulation of Hybrid Systems with AnyLogic and HLA," Future Generation Comput. Syst., vol. 18, no. 6, May 2002, pp. 829-839. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-739X(02)00055-9
- E. Kofman, M. Lapadula, and E. Pagliero, "PowerDEVS: A DEVS-Based Environment for Hybrid System Modeling and Simulation," School of Electronic Engineering, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Tech. Rep. LSD0306, 2003.
- F. Bouchhima et al., "Generic Discrete-Continuous Simulation Model for Accurate Validation in Heterogeneous Systems Design," Microelectron. J., vol. 38, no. 6-7, 2007, pp. 805-815. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mejo.2007.04.001
- M. Wetter and P. Haves, "A Modular Building Controls Virtual Test Bed for the Integration of Heterogeneous Systems," in SimBuild National Conf. IBPSA-USA, Berkeley, CA, USA, July 2008, pp. 69-76.
- C. Sung and T.G. Kim, "Framework for Simulation of Hybrid Systems: Interoperation of Discrete Event and Continuous Simulators Using HLA/RTI," IEEE Workshop Principles Adv. Distrib. Simulation, Nice, France, June 14-17, 2011, pp. 1-8.
- S.J. Kwon et al., "Integrated Hybrid Systems Modeling and Simulation Methodology Based on HDEVS Formalism," Proc. Summer Comput. Simulation Conf., Toronto, Canada, July 2013, pp. 410-417.
- M.W. Maier, "Architecting Principles for System of Systems," Syst. Eng., vol. 1, no. 4, 1998, pp. 267-284. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6858(1998)1:4<267::AID-SYS3>3.0.CO;2-D
- T.G. Kim, "Simulations Interoperation Approach for Modeling and Simulation of Defense System as System of Systems," SpringSim, TMS Symp., Plenary Talk, San Diego, CA, USA, Apr. 7-10, 2013.
- T.G. Kim and D.S. Kim, "Joint Analysis of Combat Power and Communication System via Interoperation of War Game Simulator with Communication Network Simulator," presented at the ROK-US Defense Anal. Seminar, Seoul, Rep. of Korea, Apr. 23-25, 2012.
- J.H. Kim, I.-C. Moon, and T.G. Kim, "New Insight into Doctrine via Simulation Interoperation of Heterogeneous Levels of Models in Battle Experimentation," SIMULATION : Trans. Soc. Modeling Simulation Int., vol. 88, no. 6, June 2012, pp. 649-667. https://doi.org/10.1177/0037549711414773
- B.P. Zeigler, T.G. Kim, and H. Praehofer, "Theory of Modeling and Simulation," Orlando, FL, USA: Academic, 2000.
- T.I. Fossen, "Guidance and Control of Ocean Vehicles," New York, NY, USA: Wiley, 1994.
- T.G. Kim et al., "DEVSim++ Toolset for Defense Modeling and Simulation and Interoperation," J. Defense Modeling Simulation: Appl., Methodology, Technol., vol. 8, no. 3, 2011, pp. 129-142. https://doi.org/10.1177/1548512910389203