- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Rice Bran, Flax Seed, and Sunflower Seed on Growth Performance, Carcass Characteristics, Fatty Acid Composition, Free Amino Acid and Peptide Contents, and Sensory Evaluations of Native Korean Cattle (Hanwoo)
- Choi, Chang Bon (School of Biotechnology, Yeungnam University) ;
- Kwon, Hana (Department of Food and Nutrition, Yeungnam University) ;
- Kim, Sung Il (Department of Animal Science, Gyeongbuk Provincial College) ;
- Yang, Un Mok (Woosung Feed Co., Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Ju Hwan (Woosung Feed Co., Ltd.) ;
- Park, Eun Kyu (Woosung Feed Co., Ltd.)
- Received : 2015.03.25
- Accepted : 2015.06.17
- Published : 2016.02.01
This study was conducted to evaluate the effect of dietary supplementation with rice bran, flax seed, or sunflower seed to finishing native Korean cattle (Hanwoo) on growth performances, carcass characteristics, fatty acid composition, free amino acid and peptide contents, and sensory evaluations of Longissimus muscle (LM). A total of 39 Hanwoo steers (average age of 22.2 mo and average body weight (BW) of 552.2 kg) were randomly divided into Control, rice bran (RB), flax seed (FS), or Sunflower seed (SS) groups. The steers were group fed for 273 d until they reached an average age of 31.2 mo. Final BW was 768.2, 785.8, 786.2, and 789.0 kg, and average daily gain was 0.79, 0.85, 0.82, and 0.84 kg for the Control, RS, FS, and SS groups, respectively (p>0.05). Fat thickness of the FS group (19.8 mm) was greater (p<0.05) than that of the other groups. Final yield grade converted into numerical values was 2.0 for the RB group, 1.7 for the Control and SS groups, and 1.4 for the FS group. Marbling degrees for the Control, SS, RB, and FS groups were 5.3, 5.1, 4.7, and 4.6, respectively. Percentages of palmitic acid (
Supported by : Yeungnam University
- Bowling, R. A., G. C. Smith, Z. L. Carpenter, T. R. Dutson, and W. M. Oliver. 1977. Comparison of forage-finished and grainfinished beef carcasses. J. Anim. Sci. 45:209-215. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1977.452209x
- Donicht, P. A. M. M., J. Restle, L. Da S. Freitas, A. M. Callegaro, M. S. Weise, and I. L. Brondani. 2011. Fat sources in diets for feedlot-finished steers - carcass and meat characteristics. Ciencia Anim. Bras. 12:487-496.
- Drouillard, J. S., M. A. Seyfert, E. J. Good, E. R. Loe, B. Depenbusch, and R. Daubert. 2004. Flaxseed for finishing beef cattle: Effects on animal performance, carcass quality, and meat composition. Plant Sci. 55:149-159.
- Duckett, S. K., B. A. Jardner, M. A. Winds, and F. N. Owen. 2001. Impact of high oil corn on beef steak quality. J. Anim. Sci.(Suppl.). 78:155.
- Due, A., T. M. Larsen, K. Hermansen, S. Stender, J. J. Holst, S. Toubro, and A. Astrup. 2008. Comparison of the effects on insulin resistance and glucose tolerance of 6-mo highmonounsaturated- fat, low-fat, and control diets. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 87:855-862. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/87.4.855
- Farmer, L. J. and D. S. Mottram. 1994. Lipid-Maillard interactions in the formation of volatile aroma compounds. J. Article 35: 313-326.
- Folch, J., M. Lees, and G. H. Sloane Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Forster, L. A. Jr., A. L. Goetsch, D. L. Sr. Galloway, and Z. B. Johnson. 1993. Feed intake, digestibility, and live weight gain by cattle consuming forage supplemented with rice brand and (or) corn. J. Anim. Sci. 71:3105-3014. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.71113105x
- Gadberry, M. S., P. A. Beck, and S. A. Gunter. 2007. Review: Rice milling coproducts as feedstuffs for beef cattle. The Prof. Anim. Sci. 23:309-315.
- Gibb, D. J., F. N. Owens, P. S. Mir, Z. Mir, M. Ivan, and T. A. McAllister. 2004. Value of sunflower seed in finishing diets of feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 82:2679-2692. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.8292679x
- Gillingham, L. G., S. Harris-Janz, and P. J. Jones. 2011. Dietary monounsaturated fatty acids are protective against metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease risk factors. Lipids 46:209-228. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-010-3524-y
- Henderson, J. W., R. D. Ricker, B. A. Bidlingmeyer, and C.Woodward. 2000. Rapid, accurate, sensitive, and reproducible HPLC analysis of amino acids. Agilent Technologies Technical Note 5980-1193E.
- Killinger, K. M., C. R. Calkins, W. J. Umberger, D. M. Feuz, and K. M. Eskridge. 2004. A comparison of consumer sensory acceptance and value of domestic beef steaks and steaks from a branded, Argentine beef program. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3302- 3307. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.82113302x
- Kim, S. I., K. K. Jung, D.Y. Kim, J. Y. Kim, and C. B. Choi. 2011. Effects of supplementation of rice bran and roasted soybean in the diet on physico-chemical and sensory characteristics of M. longissimus dorsi of Hanwoo steers. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 31:451-459. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.3.451
- Kim, S. I., G. H. Lee, and C. B. Choi. 2013a. Effects of supplementary rice bran and roasted soybean in the diets on carcass characteristics and composition of CLA in Hanwoo steers. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 55:435-442. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.5.435
- Kim, S. I., B. R. Cho, and C. B. Choi. 2013b. Effects of sesame meal on growth performances and fatty acid composition, free amino acid contents, and panel tests of loin of Hanwoo steers. J. Anim. Sci. Tech. 55:451-460. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.5.451
- Kris-Etherton, P. M., T. A. Pearson, Y. Wan, R. L. Hargrove, K. Moriarty, V. Fishell, and T. D. Etherton. 1999. Highmonounsaturated fatty acid diets lower both plasma cholesterol and triacylglycerol concentrations. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 70:1009- 1015. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/70.6.1009
- Kronberg, S. L., E. J. Scholljegerdes, A. N. Lepper, and E. P. Berg. 2011. The effect of flaxseed supplementation on growth, carcass characteristics, fatty acid profile, retail shelf life, and sensory characteristics of beef from steers finished on grasslands of the northern Great Plains. J. Anim. Sci. 89:2892- 2903. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2011-4058
- Korean Beef Carcass Grading Standard. 2014. Korean Standards for Grading Animal Products. Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Jeonju, Korea.
- Lepage, G. and C. C. Roy. 1986. Direct transesterification of all classes of lipids in a one-step reaction. J. Lipid Res. 27:114- 120.
- Maddock, T. D., V. L. Anderson, P. T. Berg, R. J. Maddock, and M. J. Marchello. 2003. Influence of level of flaxseed addition and time fed flaxseed on carcass characteristics, sensory panel evaluation and fatty acid content of fresh beef. Proc. 56th Recip. Meats Conf. 56:110 (Abstr.)
- Maddock, T. D., M. L. Bauer, K. B. Koch, V. L. Anderson, R. J. Maddock, G. Barcelo-Coblijn, E. J. Murphy, and G. P. Lardy. 2006a. Effect of processing flax in beef feedlot diets on performance, carcass characteristics, and trained sensory panel ratings. J. Anim. Sci. 84:1544-1551. https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.8461544x
- Maddock, T. D., B. Kreft, R. J. Maddock , V. L. Anderson, and G. P. Lardy. 2006b. Effect of including flax in beef creep feed on performance and subsequent carcass characteristics. J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 5:156-160.
- Mir, P. S., T. A. McAllister, S. Zaman, S. D. Morgan Jones, M. L. He, J. L. Aalhus, L. E. Jeremiah, L. A. Goonewardene, R. J. Weselake, Z. Mir. 2003. Effect of dietary sunflower oil and vitamin E on Beef cattle performance, carcass characteristics and meat quality. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 83:53-66. https://doi.org/10.4141/A02-014
- Mottram, D. S. 1998. Flavour formation in meat and meat products: A review. Food Chem. 62:415-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(98)00076-4
- National Live Stock and Meat Board. 1995. Research guidelines for cookery, sensory evaluation, and instrumental tenderness measurements of meat. American Meat Science Association, Champaign, IL, USA.
- Rasmussen, B. M., B. Vessby, M. Uusitupa, L. Berglund, E. Pedersen, G. Riccardi, A. A. Rivellese, L. Tapsell, and K. Hermansen. 2006. Effects of dietary saturated, monounsaturated, and n-3 fatty acids on blood pressure in healthy subjects. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 83:221-226. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/83.2.221
- Ritchie, H. 2005. Strategies for managing marbling in beef cattle. Michigan State University. East Lansing, MI, USA.
- Scholljegerdes, E. J. and S. L. Kronberg. 2010. Effect of supplemental ground flaxseed fed to beef cattle grazing summer native range on the northern Great Plains. J. Anim. Sci. 71:3199-3205.
- Shah, M. A., P. S. Mir, J. L. Aalhus, J. Basarab, and E. K. Okine. 2006. Effects of sunflower seed inclusion in finishing diets for steers on performance, carcass characteristics, muscle and adipose fatty acid composition and meat quality. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 86:37-48.
- Smith, S. B., D. K. Lunt, K. Y. Chung, C. B. Choi, R. K. Tume, and M. Zembayashi. 2006. Adiposity, fatty acid composition, and delta-9 desaturase activity during growth in beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. J. 77:478-486. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2006.00375.x
- SPSS. 2011. SPSS Release Ver. 19.0. SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL, USA.
- Till, A. R., M. R. Hunt, T. Panggabean, D. Bulo, and G. J. Blair. 1991. The live weight gain of cattle at pasture in South Sulawesi supplemented with locally available by-products. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 4:85-90
- Whetsell, M. S., E. B. Rayburn, and J. D. Lozier. 2003. Human health effects of fatty acids in beef. Fact Sheet: West Virgina University & USDA Agriculture. http://www.wvu.edu/-agexten/forglvst/humanhealth.pdf Accessed November 13, 2014.
- Comparison of reducing sugar content, sensory traits, and fatty acids and volatile compound profiles of the longissimus thoracis among Korean cattle, Holsteins, and Angus steers vol.32, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.18.0065