- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Influences of Polyurethane Nozzle Shape on Mixing Efficiency
폴리우레탄 발포 노즐 형상이 혼합 성능에 미치는 영향
Kim, Do Yeon;Lee, Tae Kyung;Jeong, Hae Do;Kim, Hyoung Jae
- Received : 2015.09.22
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2016.01.01
For reaction injection molding (RIM) polyurethane was mixed in the mixing head by impingement mixing, injected into the mold, and cured quickly, as soon as the mold is filled. The shape of the nozzle in the mixing head is critical to improve the quality of polyurethane. To achieve homogeneous mixing, an intensive turbulence energy in the mixing nozzle is essential. In this study, a mixing nozzle for RIM was designed, and mixing efficiency was investigated based on experiment. Experiments were conducted with different combinations of nozzle tips and exit diameter to measure the mixing efficiency by measuring jet force and investigating mixing image with high speed camera. Jet force increased gradually and reaches steady state conditions. The jet force depended on shape of nozzle tip and outlet sizes. These results suggest that optimized nozzle configurations are necessary for high efficiency mixing with RIM.
Reaction injection molding;Mixing head;Mixing nozzle
- Kolodziej, P., Macosko, C. W., and Ranz, W. E., "The Influence of Impingement Mixing on Striation Thickness Distribution and Properties in Fast Polyurethane Polymerization," Polymer Engineering & Science, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 388-392, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.760220611
- Youn, J. W. and Kim, H. S., "A Study on Foaming Characteristics of Polyurethane Reaction Injection Molding Using Cup Foam Test," Proc. of KSTP Autumn Conference, pp. 106-109, 2008.
- Kwon, J. W. and Lee, D. G. "Cure Monitoring for Prototyping of Reaction Injection Molding," Proc. of KSPE Spring Conference, pp. 32-36, 2001.
- Lee, H. S. and Kim, D. M., "A Study on Mixing Characteristics of Two-Component Polyurethane for In-Mold Coating," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 317-323, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2013.30.3.317
- Rho, B. J., Jeung, W. T., Lee, S. J., and Kim, S. M., "Flow Characteristics of High Pressurized Jet with Aspect Ratio," Proc. of KSME Autumn Conference, pp. 717-722, 2003.
- Erkoç, E., Santos, R. J., Nunes, M. I., Dias, M., and Lopes, J. C. B., "Mixing Dynamics Control in Rim Machines," Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 62, No. 18, pp. 5276-5281, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2007.03.036
- Santos, R. J., Teixeira, A. M., and Lopes, J. C. B., "Study of Mixing and Chemical Reaction in Rim," Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 60, No. 8, pp. 2381-2398, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2004.11.050
- Santos, R., Teixeira, A., Costa, M., and Lopes, J., "Operational and Design Study of Rim Machines," International Polymer Processing, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 387-394, 2002. https://doi.org/10.3139/217.1707
- Santos, R. J., Erkoc, E., Dias, M. M., Teixeira, A. M., and Lopes, J. C. B., "Hydrodynamics of the Mixing Chamber in Rim: Piv Flow-Field Characterization," AIChE Journal, Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 1153-1163, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.11472
- Tucker, C. L. and Suh, N. P., "Mixing for Reaction Injection Molding. I. Impingement Mixing of Liquids," Polymer Engineering & Science, Vol. 20, No. 13, pp. 875-886, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.760201307
- Tucker, C. L. and Suh, N. P., "Mixing for Reaction Injection Molding. II. Impingement Mixing of Fiber Suspensions," Polymer Engineering & Science, Vol. 20, No. 13, pp. 887-898, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.760201308
- Nguyen, L. T. and Suh, N. P., "Processing of Polyurethane/Polyester Interpenetrating Polymer Networks by Reaction Injection Molding (Rim). Part I: Design of a High Pressure Rim System," Polymer Engineering & Science, Vol. 26, No. 12, pp. 781-798, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.760261202
- Nguyen, L. T. and Suh, N. P., "Processing of Polyurethane/Polyester Interpenetrating Polymer Networks by Reaction Injection Molding. Part Ii: Mixing at High Reynolds Numbers and Impingement Pressures," Polymer Engineering & Science, Vol. 26, No. 12, pp. 799-842, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.760261203
- Nguyen, L. T. and Suh, N. P., "Processing of Polyurethane/Polyester Interpenetrating Polymer Networks by Reaction Injection Molding. Part III: Flow Reorientation through Multiple Impingement," Polymer Engineering & Science, Vol. 26, No. 12, pp. 843-853, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.760261204
- Santos, R. J., Erkoc, E., Dias, M. M., and Lopes, J. C. B., "Dynamic Behavior of the Flow Field in a Rim Machine Mixing Chamber," AIChE Journal, Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 1338-1351, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.11771
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 부산대학교