- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Fatigue Life Analysis for Angular Contact Ball Bearing with Angular Misalignment
각 어긋남을 고려한 각접촉 볼베어링의 피로수명 해석
Bae, Gyu-Hyun;Tong, Van-Canh;Hong, Seong-Wook
- Received : 2015.10.26
- Accepted : 2015.12.13
- Published : 2016.01.01
Angular misalignment has a significant effect on the characteristics of angular contact ball bearings (ACBBs). This paper presents an analysis of fatigue life for ACBBs subjected to angular misalignment. A simulation model is developed with de Mul's bearing model and the ISO basic reference rating life model. Simulation is performed to calculate the life of the ACBBs subjected to angular misalignment. The numerical results show that angular misalignment influences the load distribution significantly, thus reducing the bearing rating life. The fatigue life of ACBBs is decreased by angular misalignment regardless of axial preload, external radial load and rotational speed. The results show that angular misalignment should be maintained at less than 1mrad for ACBBs.
Angular contact ball bearing;Angular misalignment;Fatigue life
- Abele, E., Altintas, Y., and Brecher, C., "Machine Tool Spindle Units," CIRP Annals: Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 781-802, 2007.
- Palmgren, A., "Ball and Roller Bearing Engineering," Burkbank, 3rd Ed., pp. 1-245, 1959.
- Jones, A. B., "A General Theory for Elastically Constrained Ball and Radial Roller Bearings under Arbitrary Load and Speed Conditions," Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 82, No. 2, pp. 309-302, 1960.
- De Mul, J. M., Vree, J. M., and Maas, D. A., "Equilibrium and Associated Load Distribution in Ball and Roller Bearings Loaded in Five Degrees of Freedom While Neglecting Friction-Part I: General Theory and Application to Ball Bearings," Journal of Tribology, Vol. 111, No. 1, pp. 142-148, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3261864
- Filiz, I. H. and Gorur, G., "Analysis of Preload Bearings under Combined Axial and Radial Loading," International Journal of Machine Tool and Manufacture, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 1-11, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0890-6955(94)90035-3
- Houpert, L., "A Uniform Analytical Approach for Ball and Roller Bearings Calculations," Journal of Tribology, Vol. 119, No. 4, pp. 851-858. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2833896
- Hernot, X., Sartor, M., and Guillot, J., "Calculation of the Stiffness Matrix of Angular Contact Ball Bearings by Using the Analytical Approach," Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 122, No. 1, pp. 83-90, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.533548
- Hong, S. W., Kang, J. O., and Shin, Y. C., "Dynamic Characteristics of Indeterminate Rotor Systems with Angular Contact Ball Bearings Subject to Axial and Radial Loads," Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 61-71, 2002.
- Li, H. and Shin, Y. C., "Analysis of Bearing Configuration Effects on High Speed Spindles Using an Integrated Dynamic Thermo-Mechanical Spindle Model," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 347-364, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2003.10.011
- Guo, Y. and Parker, R. G., "Stiffness Matrix Calculation of Rolling Element Bearings Using a Finite Element /Contact Mechanics Model," Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 51, pp. 32-45, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2011.12.006
- Kim, H. M., Seo, J. W., and Park, H. W., "Computational Modeling of the Bearing Coupling Section of Machine Tools," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 29, No. 10, pp. 1050-1050, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2012.29.10.1050
- Hong, S. W., Choi, C. S., and Lee, C. H., "Effects of Bearing Arrangement on the Dynamic Characteristics of High-speed Spindle," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 30, No. 8, pp. 854-863, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2013.30.8.854
- Kim, W., Lee, C. M., and Hwang, Y. K., "A Study on the Optimum Shrink-Fit for High Speed Ball Bearing of Machine Tool," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 27, No. 9, pp. 94-102, 2010.
- Hwang, J. H., Shim, J. Y., and Park, C. H., "Estimation of Rotational Motion Accuracy for Rotary Units," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 127-133, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2015.32.2.127
- Andreason, S., "Load Distribution in a Taper Roller Bearing Arrangement Considering Misalignment," Journal of Tribology, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 84-92, 1973.
- Taha, M. M. A., "The Influence of Bearing Misalignment on the Performance of Helicopter Gear Boxes," Wear, Vol. 92, No. 1, pp. 79-97, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(83)90009-1
- Lim, T. C. and Singh, R., "Vibration Transmission through Roiling Element Bearings, Part V: Effect of Distributed Contact Load on Roller Bearing Stiffness Matrix," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 169, No. 4, pp. 547-553. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1994.1033
- Ye, Z., Wang, L., Gu, L., and Zhang, C. "Effects of Tilted Misalignment on Loading Characteristics of Cylindrical Roller Bearings," Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 69, pp. 153-167, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2013.05.006
- Tong, V. C. and Hong, S. W., "Fatigue Life of Tapered Roller Bearing Subject to Angular Misalignment," Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, DOI No. 10.1177/0954406215578706, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954406215578706
- Liao, N. T. and Lin, J. F., "An Analysis of Misaligned Single-Row Angular-Contact Ball Bearing," Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 126, No. 2 pp. 370-374, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1667891
- Bae, G. H., Yoon, Y. S., Hwang, J. H., and Hong, S. W., "Effect of Shaft Alignment on the Rotor-Bearing System Dynamics," Proc. of the KSPE Autumn Conference, pp. 79-80, 2013.
- Bae, G. H., Yoon, Y. S., and Hong, S. W., "Study on Spindle-Bearing Systems Subjected to moment Loads at Bearings," Proc. of the International Conference of Manufacturing Technology Engineers, pp. 23-24, 2013.
- Bae, G. H., Hong, S. W., and Yoon, Y. S., "Dynamic Analysis of Spindle with Angular Contact Ball Bearings Subjected to Angular Misalignment," Journal of Korean Society of Manufacturing Technology Engineers, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 368-373, 2014.
- ISO No. 281:2007(E), "Rolling Bearings-dynamic Load Ratings and Rating Life," 2007.
- ISO/TS No. 16281:2008, "Rolling Bearings - Methods for Calculating the Modified Reference Rating Life for Universally Loaded Bearings," 2008.
- ISO/TR No. 1281-1:2008, "Rolling Bearings - Explanatory Notes on ISO 281, Part 1: Basic Dynamic Load Rating and Basic Rating Life," 2008.
- Tong, V. C., Bae, G. H., and Hong, S. W., "Dynamic Analysis of Spindle Supported by Multiple Bearings of Different Types," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 117-128, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2015.32.2.117
- Bae, G. H., Lee, C. H., Hwang, J. H., and Hong, S. W., "Estimation of Axial Displacement in High-Speed Spindle due to Rotational Speed," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 671-679, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2012.29.6.671
- Zaretsky, E. V., Poplawski, J. V., and Root, L. E., "Reexamination of Ball-Race Conformity Effects on Ball Bearing Life," Tribology Transactions, Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 336-349, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/10402000701429147
- Zaretsky, E. V., "Rolling Bearing Life Prediction, Theory, and Application," NASA Technical Reports Server, Report No. NASA/TP-2013-215305, pp. 1-54, 2013.
- Schaeffler, "BEARINX-Online Spindle Calculation," http://www.schaeffler.de/content.schaeffler.de/en/products_services/inafagproducts/calculating/bearinxonlinespindle/bearinx_online_spindle_calculation.jsp (Accessed 24 December 2015)
- SKF 2012, "Angular Contact Ball Bearings Brochure," http://www.skf.com/binary/12-121108/Angular-contact-ball-bearings.pdf (Accessed 24 December 2015)