- Volume 20 Issue 1
The assessment and prediction of service life of a structure are usually under uncertainty so that rational probabilistic concepts and methods have to be applied. Based on these rational assessment and prediction, optimum maintenance strategies to minimize the life-cycle cost and/or maximize the structural safety can be established. The service life assessment and prediction considering maintenance actions generally includes effects of maintenance types and times of the structural components on the service life extensions of structural system. Existing researches on the service life management have revealed the appropriate system modeling considering the correlation among the components is required for system reliability analysis and probabilistic service life estimation. However, the study on correlation among the maintenance actions is still required. This paper deals with such a study for more effective and efficient service life management. In this paper, both the preventive and essential maintenances are considered for the extended service life estimation and management.
Correlation;Maintenance;Life-cycle;Service life;Structural reliability
- Alampalli, S. (2014), Bridge Maintenance. Bridge Engineering Handbook, Second Edition, CRC Press, 269-300.
- Ang, A. H.-S., and Tang, W. H. (1984), Probability Concepts in Engineering Planning and Design. Vol. II, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Cheng, X., Duan, L., and Najjar, W.S. (2014), Rehabilitation and Strengthening of Highway Bridge Superstructures. Bridge Engineering Handbook, Second Edition, CRC Press. 443-488.
- Das, P.C. (1999), Prioritization of Bridge Maintenance Needs, In Case Studies in Optimal Design and Maintenance Planning of Civil Infrastructure Systems, D.M. Frangopol, ed. ASCE, Reston, VA, 26-44.
- Frangopol, D.M. (2011), Life-cycle Performance, Management, and Optimization of Structural Systems under Uncertainty: Accomplishments and Challenges, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Taylor & Francis, 7(6), 389-413. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732471003594427
- Frangopol, D.M., and Kim, S. (2011), Service life, reliability and maintenance of civil structures, Chapter 5 in Service Life Estimation and Extension of Civil Engineering Structures, L.S. Lee and V. Karbari, eds., Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Cambridge, U.K., 145-178.
- Frangopol, D.M., Kong, J.S., and Gharaibeh, E.S. (2001), Reliability-Based Life-Cycle Management of Highway Bridges, Journal of Computing in Civil engineering, ASCE, 15(1), 27-34. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3801(2001)15:1(27)
- Furuta, H., Frangopol, D.M., and Nakatsu, K. (2011), Life-cycle Cost of Civil Infrastructure with Emphasis on Balancing Structural Performance and Seismic Risk of Road Network, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Taylor & Francis, 7(1-2), 65-74. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732471003588346
- Kececioglu, D.B. (1995), Maintainability, Availability, and Operational Readiness Engineering Handbook, Vol. 1. Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Kim, S., Frangopol, D.M., and Zhu, B. (2011), Probabilistic Optimum Inspection/Repair Planning to Extend Lifetime of Deteriorating Structures. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, ASCE, 25(6), 534-544. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000197
- Klaassen, K.B., and van Peppen, J.C.L. (1989), System Reliability: Concepts and Applications, Distributed in the USA by Routledge. Chapman, and Hall, E. Arnold, New York.
- Leemis, L.M. (1995), Reliability, Probabilistic Models and Statistical Methods, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- MathWorks (2015), Optimization Toolbox 3 User's Guide, Math-Works, Natick, MA.
- NCHRP (2006), Manual on Service Life of Corrosion-Damaged Reinforced Concrete Bridge Superstructure Elements, NCHRP Report 558. Transportation Research Board, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, Washington, DC.
- Ramakumar, R. (1993), Engineering Reliability: Fundamentals and Applications, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Yang, S-I., Frangopol, D.M., and Neves, L.C. (2006), Optimum Maintenance Strategy for Deteriorating Structures based on Lifetime Functions, Engineering Structures, Elsevier, 28(2), 196-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.06.024
- Zhu, B., and Frangopol, D.M. (2012), Reliability, redundancy and risk as performance indicators of structural systems during their life-cycle. Engineering Structures, Elsevier, 41(0), 34-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.03.029
Supported by : 원광대학교