- Volume 3 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Finite element based dynamic analysis of multilayer fibre composite sandwich plates with interlayer delaminations
- Jayatilake, Indunil N. ;
- Karunasena, Warna ;
- Lokuge, Weena
- Received : 2015.05.14
- Accepted : 2015.06.27
- Published : 2016.01.25
Although the aircraft industry was the first to use fibre composites, now they are increasingly used in a range of structural applications such as flooring, decking, platforms and roofs. Interlayer delamination is a major failure mode which threatens the reliability of composite structures. Delamination can grow in size under increasing loads with time and hence leads to severe loss of structural integrity and stiffness reduction. Delamination reduces the natural frequency and as a consequence may result in resonance. Hence, the study of the effects of delamination on the free vibration behaviour of multilayer composite structures is imperative. The focus of this paper is to develop a 3D FE model and investigate the free vibration behaviour of fibre composite multilayer sandwich panels with interlayer delaminations. A series of parametric studies are conducted to assess the influence of various parameters of concern, using a commercially available finite element package. Additionally, selected points in the delaminated region are connected appropriately to simulate bolting as a remedial measure to fasten the delamination region in the aim of reducing the effects of delamination. First order shear deformation theory based plate elements have been used to model each sandwich layer. The findings suggest that the delamination size and the end fixity of the plate are the most important factors responsible for stiffness reduction due to delamination damage in composite laminates. It is also revealed that bolting the delaminated region can significantly reduce the natural frequency variation due to delamination thereby improving the dynamic performance.
fibre composite multilayer plates;three dimensional modelling;dynamic analysis;free vibration behaviour;delamination
- Agarwal, B.D., Broutman, L.J. and Chandrashekhara, K. (2006), Analysis and Performance of Fiber Composites, 3rd Edition, Wiley and sons Inc., Hoboken, New Jersy.
- Awad, Z.K., Aravinthan T. and Yan, Z. (2012), "Investigation of the free vibration behaviour of an innovative GFRP sandwich floor panel", Constr. Build. Mater., 37, 209-219. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.07.039
- Burlayenko, V.N. and Sadowski, T. (2010), "Influence of skin/core debonding on free vibration behavior of foam and honeycomb cored sandwich plates", Int. J. Nonlin. Mech., 45(10), 959-968. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2009.07.002
- Bunsell, A.R. and Renard, J. (2005), Fundamentals of Fibre Reinforced Composite Materials, IOP Publishing Ltd, Bristol, UK.
- Burlayenko, V.N. and Sadowski, T. (2011), "Dynamic behaviour of sandwich plates containing single/multiple debonding", Comput. Mater. Sci., 50(4), 1263-1268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.commatsci.2010.08.005
- Burlayenko, V.N. and Sadowski, T. (2012), "Finite element nonlinear dynamic analysis of sandwich plates with partially detached face sheet and core", Finite Elem. Anal. Des., 62, 49-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2012.08.003
- Burlayenko, V.N. and Sadowski, T. (2014), "Nonlinear dynamic analysis of harmonically excited debonded Sandwich plates using finite element modelling", Compos. Struct., 108, 354-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2013.09.042
- Carrera, E. (2002), "Theories and finite elements for multilayered, anisotropic, composite plates and shells", Arch. Comput. Meth. Eng., 9(2), 87-140. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02736649
- Chakrabarti, A. andSheikh, A.H. (2009), "Vibration and buckling of sandwich laminates having interfacial imperfections", J. Sandw. Struct. Mater., 11, 313-328. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636209104514
- Chutima, S. and Blackie, A.P. (1996), "Effect of pitch distance, row spacing, end distance and bolt diameter on multi-fastened composite joints", Compos. Part A, 27(A), 105-110.
- Della, C.N. and Shu, D. (2005), "Vibration of beams with double delaminations", J. Sound Vib., 282, 919-935. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.03.052
- Della, C.N. and Shu, D. (2007), "Free vibration analysis of delaminated bimaterial beams", Compos. Struct., 80, 212-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2006.05.005
- Diamanti, K. and Soutis, C. (2010), "Structural health monitoring techniques for aircraft composite structures", Prog. Aerosp. Sci., 46(8), 342-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2010.05.001
- Duggan, M. and Ochoa, O. (1992), "Natural frequency behaviour of damaged composite materials", J. Sound Vib., 158, 545-551. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(92)90424-V
- Frostig Y. (2002), "Classical and high-order computational models in the analysis of modern sandwich panels", Compos. Part B: Eng., 34(11), 83-100.
- Gallego, A., Moreno-García, P. and Casanova, C.F. (2013) "Modal analysis of delaminated compositeplates using the finite element method and damage detection via combined Ritz/2D-wavelet analysis", J. Sound Vib., 332, 2971-2983. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2013.01.012
- Grouve, W.J.B., Warnet, L., De Boer, A., Akkerman, R. and Vlekken, J. (2008), "Delamination detection with fibre bragg gratings based on dynamic behaviour", Compos. Sci. Tech., 68, 2418-2424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2007.11.007
- Hosur, M.V., Vaidya, U.K., Myers, D. and Jeelani, S. (2003), "Studies on the repair of ballistic impact damaged S2-glass/vinyl ester laminates", Compos. Struct., 61, 281-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(03)00063-1
- Hu, J.S. and Hwu, C. (1995), "Free vibration of delaminated composite sandwich beams", AIAA J., 33(10), 1911-1918. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.12745
- Ju, F., Lee, H.P. and Lee, K.H. (1995), "Free vibration of composite plates with delamination around cutouts", Compos. Struct., 31, 177-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8223(95)00016-X
- Karunasena, W. (2010), "The effect of debonding on the natural frequencies of laminated fibre composite sandwich plates", Proceedings of 6th Australasian Congress on Applied Mechanics, ACAM 6, Perth, Australia, December.
- Katnam, K.B., Da Silva, L.F.M. and Young, T.M. (2013), "Bonded repair of composite aircraft structures: A review of scientific challenges and opportunities", Prog. Aerosp. Sci., 61, 26-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2013.03.003
- Kim, H.S., Chattopadhyay, A. and Ghoshal, A. (2003), "Characterisation of delamination effect on composite laminates using a new generalised layerwise approach", Comput. Struct., 81, 1555-1566. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(03)00150-0
- Kulkarani, S.V. and Fredericks, D. (1971), "Frequency as a parameter in delamination problem-A preliminary investigation", J. Compos. Mater., 5, 112-119. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199837100500111
- Kwon, Y.W. and Lannamann, D.L. (2002), "Dynamic numerical modelng and simulation of interfacial cracks in sandwich structures for damage detection", J. Sandw. Struct. Mater., 4(2), 175-199. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636202004002706
- Massabò, R. and Campi, F. (2014), "An efficient approach for multilayered beams and wide plates with imperfect interfaces and delaminations", Compos. Struct., 116, 311-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2014.04.009
- Mendelsohn, D.A. (2006), "Free vibration of an edge-cracked beam with a Dugdale-Barenblatt cohesive zone", J. Sound Vib., 292, 59-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2005.07.037
- Mujumdar, P.M. and Sunyanarayan, S. (1988), "Flexural vibration of beams with delaminations", J. Sound Vib., 25(3), 447-461.
- Ramkumar, R.L., Kulkarni, S.V. and Pipes, R.B. (1979), "Free Vibration Frequencies of a Delaminated Beam", 34th Annual Technical Conference Proceedings, Reinforced/Composite Institute, Society of Plastics Industry, Section 22-E, 1-5.
- Reddy, J.N. and Miravete, A. (1995), Practical Analysis of Composite Laminates, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla.
- Schwarts, G.H., Rabinovich, O. and Frostig, Y. (2008), "Free vibration of delaminated unidirectional sandwich panels with a transversely flexible core and general boundary conditions-A high-order approach", J. Sandw. Struct. Mater., 10, 99-131. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636207076484
- Schwarts, G.H., Rabinovich, O. and Frostig, Y. (2008), "Free vibrations of delaminated unidirectional sandwich panels with a transversely flexible core-a modified Galerkin approach", Journal of Sound and Vibration, 301, 253-277.
- Senthil, K., Arockiarajan, A., Palaninathan, R., Santhosh, B. and Usha, K.M. (2013), "Defects in composite structures: Its effects and prediction methods-A comprehensive review", Compos. Struct., 106, 139-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2013.06.008
- Shu, D. and Fan, H. (1996), "Free vibration of a bimaterial split beam", Compos. Part B, 27(1), 79-84.
- Strand7 (2010), Strand7 finite element analysis FEA software, Release 2.4.1, Sydney, Australia. (website: www.strand7.com)
- Tracy, J.J. and Pardoen, G.C. (1992), "Effect of delamination on the natural frequencies of composite laminates", J. Compos. Mater., 23(12), 1200-1215.
- Van Erp, G. and Rogers, D. (2008), "A highly sustainable fibre composite building panel", Proceedings of the International Workshop on Fibre Composites in Civil Infrastructure-Past, Present and Future, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia, December.
- Wang, J.T.S., Lin, Y.Y. and Gibby, J.A. (1982), "Vibration of split beams", J. Sound Vib., 84(4), 491-520. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-460X(82)80030-8
- On buckling and free vibration studies of sandwich plates and cylindrical shells pp.1530-7980, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0892705718809810