- Volume 17 Issue 1
We propose an effective methodology using electromechanical impedance characteristics for estimating the remaining tensile force of tendons and simultaneously detecting damages of the anchorage blocks. Once one piezoelectric patch is attached on the anchor head and the other is bonded on the bearing plate, impedance responses are measured through these two patches under varying tensile force conditions. Then statistical indices are calculated from the impedances, and two types of relationship curves between the tensile force and the statistical index (TE Curve) and between statistical indices of two patches (SR Curve) are established. Those are considered as database for monitoring both the tendon and the anchorage system. If damage exists on the bearing plate, the statistical index of patch on the bearing plate would be out of bounds of the SR curve and damage can be detected. A change in the statistical index by damage is calibrated with the SR curve, and the tensile force can be estimated with the corrected index and the TE Curve. For validation of the developed methodology, experimental studies are performed on the scaled model of an anchorage system that is simplified only with 3 solid wedges, a 3-hole anchor head, and a bearing plate. Then, the methodology is applied to a real scale anchorage system that has 19 strands, wedges, an anchor head, a bearing plate, and a steel duct. It is observed that the proposed scheme gives quite accurate estimation of the remaining tensile forces. Therefore, this methodology has great potential for practical use to evaluate the remaining tensile forces and damage status in the post-tensioned structural members.
piezoelectric patches;impedance;tensile force estimation;damage diagnosis
- Al-Omaishi, N., Tadros, M.K. and Seguirant, S.J. (2009), "Estimating prestress loss in pretensioned, high-strength concrete members", PCI J., 54(4), 132-159. https://doi.org/10.15554/pcij.09012009.132.159
- Ashar, H., Naus, D. and Tan, C.P. (1994), "Prestressed Concrete in U. S. Nuclear Power Plants (Part 1)", Concrete Int., 16(5), 30-34.
- Bati, S.B. and Tonietti, U. (2001), "Experimental methods for estimating in situ tensile force in tie-rods", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 127(12), 1275-1283. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2001)127:12(1275)
- Beard1, M.D., Lowe, M.J.S. and Cawley, P. (2003), "Ultrasonic Guided Waves for Inspection of Grouted Tendons and Bolts", J. Mater. Civil Eng. - ASCE, 15(3), 212-218. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(2003)15:3(212)
- Bhalla, S., Naidu, A.S.K. and Soh, C.K. (2002), "Influence of structure-actuator interactions and temperature on piezoelectric mechatronic signatures for NDE", Proceedings of the ISSS-SPIE Int'l Conferences on Smart Materials Structures and Systems, Bangalore, December.
- Giurgiutiu, V. (2008), Structural health monitoring with piezoelectric wafer active sensors, Elsevier/Academic Press, Amsterdam.
- Hyunh, T.C., Lee, K.S. and Kim, J.T. (2015), "Local dynamic characteristics of PZT impedance interface on tendon anchorage under prestress force variation", Smart Struct. Syst., 15(2), 375-393. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.15.2.375
- Kim, B.H., Jang, J.B., Lee, H.P. and Lee, D.H. (2010), "Effect of prestress force on longitudinal vibration of bonded tendons embedded in a nuclear containment", Nuclear Eng. Des., 240(6), 1281-1289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2010.02.017
- Koo, K.Y., Park, S., Lee, J.J. and Yun, C.B. (2009), "Automated impedance-based structural health monitoring incorporating effective frequency shift for compensating temperature effects", J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Str., 20, 367-377. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X08088664
- Liang, C., Sun, F.P. and Rogers, C.A. (1996), "Electro-mechanical impedance modeling of active material systems", Smart Mater. Struct., 5(2), 171-186. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/5/2/006
- Min, J. (2012), Structural Health Monitoring for Civil infrastructure Using Wireless Impedance Sensor Nodes and Smart Assessment Techniques, KAIST, Doctoral Dissertation.
- Min, J., Park, S., Song, B.H. and Yun, C.B. (2010), "Development of wireless sensor nodes for impedance-based structural health monitoring", Smart Struct. Syst., 6, 689-709. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2010.6.5_6.689
- Nguyen, K.D. and Kim, J.T. (2012), "Smart PZT-interface for wireless impedance-based prestress-loss monitoring in tendon-anchorage connection", Smart Struct. Syst., 9(6), 489-504. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2012.9.6.489
- Park, G., Farrar, C.R., Rutherford, A.C. and Robertson, A.N. (2006), "Piezoelectric active sensor self-diagnostics using electrical admittance measurements", J. Vib. Acoust., 128(4), 469-476 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2202157
- Park, G., Sohn H., Farrar, C.R. and Inman, D.J. (2003), "Overview of piezoelectric impedance-based health monitoring and path forward", Shock Vib. Digest, 35(6), 451-463. https://doi.org/10.1177/05831024030356001
- Peairs, D.M., Tarazaga, P.A. and Inman, D.J. (2006), "A study of the correlation between PZT and MFC resonance peaks and damage detection frequency intervals using the impedance method", Proceedings of the International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering, Leuven, Belgium, September.
- Raju, K. (2006), Prestressed Concrete, Tata McGraw-Hill Education, India.
- Rogowsky, D.M. and Marti, P. (1991), Detailing for post-tensioned, VSL International Ltd, Bern, Switzerland.
- Sansalone, M., Jaeger, B.J. and Randall, W.P. (1996), "Detecting voids in grouted tendons of post-tensioned concrete structures using impact-echo method", ACI Struct. J., 93(4), 462-472.
- Schechter, E. and Boecker, H.C. (1970), "Wedge anchorage system for strand post-tensioning", Proceedings of the 6th Congress of the Federation Internationale de la Precontrainte, Prague, Czechoslovakia, June.
- 1. Recent R&D activities on structural health monitoring in Korea vol.3, pp.1, 2016, doi:10.12989/sss.2016.17.1.107
- 2. Quantification of temperature effect on impedance monitoring via PZT interface for prestressed tendon anchorage vol.26, pp.12, 2017, doi:10.12989/sss.2016.17.1.107
- 3. Prestressing force monitoring method for a box girder through distributed long-gauge FBG sensors vol.27, pp.1, 2018, doi:10.12989/sss.2016.17.1.107
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)