- Volume 20 Issue 1
In steel and concrete composite girders, the load transfer between the steel beam and the concrete slab is commonly ensured by installing shear connectors. In this paper, to investigate the nonlinear behavior of perfobond connectors, a total of 60 push-out specimens were fabricated and tested with the variables for the hole diameter, the concrete strength, the thickness of concrete slab, the diameter, strength and existence of perforating rebar, the thickness, height and distance of perfobond ribs. The failure mode and the load-slip behavior of perfobond connectors were obtained. A theoretical model was put forward to express the load-slip relationship. Analytical formulas of shear capacity and peak slip were also proposed considering the interaction between the concrete dowel and the perforating rebar. The calculation results of the proposals agreed well with the experimental values.
composite bridge;perfobond connector;push-out test;load-slip behavior;theoretical model
- Ahn, J.H., Lee, C.G., Won, J.H. and Kim, S.H. (2010), "Shear resistance of the perfobond-rib shear connector depending on concrete strength and rib arrangement", J. Constr. Steel Res., 66(10), 1295-1307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.04.008
- Al-Darzi, S.Y.K., Chen, A.R. and Liu, Y.Q. (2007), "Finite element simulation and parametric studies of perfobond rib connector", Am. J. Appl. Sci., 4(3), 122-127. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2007.122.127
- Candido-Martins, J.P.S., Costa-Neves, L.F. and Vellasco, P.C.G.S. (2010), "Experimental evaluation of the structural response of Perfobond shear connectors", Eng. Struct., 32(8), 1976-1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.02.031
- EN 1994-1-1 (2004), Eurocode 4: Design of composite steel and concrete structures, Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings, European Committee for Standardisation (CEN), Brussels, Belgium.
- FIB (2010), FIB bulletin 65: Model code 2010 - Final draft, (Volume 1), International Federation for Structural Concrete, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Furuichi, K., Taira, Y. and Yamamura, M. (1998), "Experimental study on shear strength of shear connectors using perforated plate", Annual Report; Kajima Technical Research Institute No. 46, Tokyo, Japan.
- Hosaka, T., Mitsuki, K., Hiragi, H., Ushijima, Y., Tachibana, Y. and Watanabe, H. (2000), "An experimental study on shear characteristics of perfobond strip and its rational strength equations", J. Struct. Eng., JSCE, 46A, 1593-1604.
- Johnson, R.P. (2000), "Resistance of stud shear connectors to fatigue", J. Constr. Steel Res., 56(2), 101-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(99)00082-6
- JSCE (2009), Standard specifications for hybrid structures, Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Tokyo, Japan.
- Kim, S.H. and Choi, J.H. (2010), "Experimental study on shear connection in unfilled composite steel grid bridge deck", J. Constr. Steel Res., 66(11), 1339-1344. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.05.008
- Kim, S.H., Lee, C.G., Ahn, J.H. and Won, J.H. (2011), "Experimental study on joint of spliced steel-PSC hybrid girder, part I: proposed parallel-perfobond-rib-type joint", Eng. Struct., 33(8), 2382-2397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.04.012
- Lee, P.G., Shim, C.S. and Chang, S.P. (2005), "Static and fatigue behavior of large stud shear connectors for steel-concrete composite bridges", J. Constr. Steel Res., 61(9), 1270-1285. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.01.007
- Leonhardt, F., Andra, W., Andra, H.P. and Harre, W. (1987), "Neues, vorteilhaftes Verbundmittel fur Stahlverbund-Tragwerke mit hoher Dauerfestigkeit", Betonund Stahlbetonbau, 82(12), 325-331. https://doi.org/10.1002/best.198700500
- Lin, Z., Liu, Y. and He, J. (2014), "Behavior of stud connectors under combined shear and tension loads", Eng. Struct., 81, 362-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.10.016
- Liu, Y., Xin, H., He, J., Xue, D. and Ma, B. (2013), "Experimental and analytical study on fatigue behavior of composite truss joints", J. Constr. Steel Res., 83, 21-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.12.020
- Mazoz, A., Benanane, A. and Titoum, M. (2013), "Push-out tests on a new shear connector of I-shape", Int. J. Steel Struct., 13(3), 519-528. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-013-3011-4
- Medberry, S.B. and Shahrooz, B.M. (2002), "Perfobond shear connector for composite construction", Eng. J. AISC, 39(1), 2-12.
- Nakamura, S., Momiyama, Y., Hosaka, T. and Homma, K. (2002), "New technologies of steel/concrete composite bridges", J. Constr. Steel Res., 58(1), 99-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00030-X
- Oehlers, D.J. and Coughlan, C.G. (1986), "The shear stiffness of stud shear connections in composite beams", J. Constr. Steel Res., 6(4), 273-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(86)90008-8
- Oguejiofor, E.C. and Hosain, M.U. (1994), "A parametric study of perfobond rib shear connectors", Can. J. Civil Eng., 21(4), 614-625. https://doi.org/10.1139/l94-063
- Shariati, A., Shariati, M., Ramli Sulong, N.H., Suhatril, M., Arabnejad Khanouki, M.M. and Mahoutian, M. (2014), "Experimental assessment of angle shear connectors under monotonic and fully reversed cyclic loading in high strength concrete", Con. Build. Mater., 52, 276-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.11.036
- Zellner, W. (1987), "Recent designs of composite bridges and a new type of shear connectors", Proceedings of the ASCE Engineering Foundation Conference on Composite Construction, Henniker, NH, USA, June.