- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Passive 3D motion optical data in shaking table tests of a SRG-reinforced masonry wall
- De Canio, Gerardo ;
- de Felice, Gianmarco ;
- De Santis, Stefano ;
- Giocoli, Alessandro ;
- Mongelli, Marialuisa ;
- Paolacci, Fabrizio ;
- Roselli, Ivan
- Received : 2014.12.05
- Accepted : 2015.07.10
- Published : 2016.01.25
Unconventional computer vision and image processing techniques offer significant advantages for experimental applications to shaking table testing, as they allow the overcoming of most typical problems of traditional sensors, such as encumbrance, limitations in the number of devices, range restrictions and risk of damage of the instruments in case of specimen failure. In this study, a 3D motion optical system was applied to analyze shake table tests carried out, up to failure, on a natural-scale masonry structure retrofitted with steel reinforced grout (SRG). The system makes use of wireless passive spherical retro-reflecting markers positioned on several points of the specimen, whose spatial displacements are recorded by near-infrared digital cameras. Analyses in the time domain allowed the monitoring of the deformations of the wall and of crack development through a displacement data processing (DDP) procedure implemented ad hoc. Fundamental frequencies and modal shapes were calculated in the frequency domain through an integrated methodology of experimental/operational modal analysis (EMA/OMA) techniques with 3D finite element analysis (FEA). Meaningful information on the structural response (e.g., displacements, damage development, and dynamic properties) were obtained, profitably integrating the results from conventional measurements. Furthermore, the comparison between 3D motion system and traditional instruments (i.e., displacement transducers and accelerometers) permitted a mutual validation of both experimental data and measurement methods.
3D optical measurement;passive markers;steel reinforced grout;shaking table;structural damage monitoring;modal analysis
- Roselli, I., Mongelli, M., Tati, A. and De Canio, G. (2015), "Analysis of 3D motion data from shaking table tests on a scaled model of Hagia Irene, Istanbul", Key Eng. Mater., 624, 66-73.
- Savitzky, A. and Golay, M.J.E. (1964), "Smoothing and differentiation of data by simplified least squares procedures", Anal. Chem., 36(8), 1627-1639. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60214a047
- Stephen, G.A., Brownjohn, J.M.W. and Taylor, C.A. (1993), "Measurement of static and dynamic displacement from visual monitoring of the Humber Bridge", Eng. Struct., 15(3), 197-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(93)90054-8
- Valluzzi, M.R., Modena, C. and de Felice, G. (2014), "Current practice and open issues in strengthening historical buildings with composites", Mater. Struct., 47(12), 1971-1985. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-014-0359-7
- Vicon iQ System Reference-Volume II (2006), Motion capture production and control software, Oxford.
- Ye, L., Ma, Q., Miao, Z., Guan, H. and Zhuge, Y. (2013), "Numerical and comparative study of earthquake intensity indices in seismic analysis", Struct. Des. Tall. Spec., 22(4), 362-381. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.693
- Yoneyama, S., Kitagawa, A., Iwata, S., Tani, K. and Kikuta, H. (2007), "Bridge deflection measurement using digital image correlation", Exp. Techniq., 31(1), 34-40. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-1567.2006.00132.x
- Webster, J.G. (1999), The Measurement, Instrumentation and Sensors Handbook, CRC Press-IEEE Press.
- Al Shawa, O., de Felice, G., Mauro, A. and Sorrentino, L. (2012), "Out-of-plane seismic behaviour of rocking masonry walls", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 41(5), 949-968. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1168
- Ascione, L., de Felice, G. and De Santis S. (2015), "A qualification method for externally bonded Fibre Reinforced Cementitious Matrix (FRCM) strengthening systems", Compos. Part. B-Eng., 78, 497-506. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2015.03.079
- Beraldin, J.A., Latouche, C., El-Hakim, S.F. and Filiatrault, A. (2004), "Applications of photo-grammetric and computer vision techniques in shake table testing", Proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (13WCEE), Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Calderini, C., Lagomarsino, S., Rossi, M., De Canio, G., Mongelli, M. and Roselli, I. (2015), "Shaking table tests of an arch-pillars system and design of strengthening by the use of tie-rods", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 13(1), 279-297. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-014-9678-x
- Candan, C. and Inan, H. (2014), "A unified framework for derivation and implementation of Savitzky-Golay filters", Signal Process., 104, 203-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sigpro.2014.04.016
- De Canio, G., Mongelli, M. and Roselli, I. (2013), "3D motion capture application to seismic tests at ENEA Casaccia research center. 3DVision system and DySCo virtual lab", Wit. Trans. Built. Env., 134, 803-814.
- de Felice, G., De Santis, S., Garmendia, L., Ghiassi, B., Larrinaga, P., Lourenco, P.B., Oliveira, D.V., Paolacci, F. and Papanicolaou, C.G. (2014), "Mortar-based systems for externally bonded strengthening of masonry", Mater. Struct., 47(12), 2021-2037. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-014-0360-1
- De Santis, S. and de Felice, G. (2015a), "Tensile behaviour of mortar-based composites for externally bonded reinforcement systems", Compos. Part. B-Eng., 68, 401-413. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2014.09.011
- De Santis, S. and de Felice, G. (2015b), "Steel reinforced grout systems for the strengthening of masonry structures", Compos. Struct., 134, 533-548. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.08.094
- De Santis, S., De Canio, G., de Felice, G., Malena, M., Mongelli, M. and Roselli, I. (2015), "Seismic performance of masonry walls retrofitted with steel reinforced grout", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., doi: 10.1002/eqe.2625. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2625
- Elenas, A. (2013), "Intensity parameters as damage potential descriptors of earthquakes", Compos. Meth. Appl. Sci., 22, 327-334.
- Gallipoli, M.R., Mucciarelli, M. and Vona, M. (2009), "Empirical estimate of fundamental frequencies and damping for Italian buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 38(8), 973-988. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.878
- Hartley, R. and Zisserman, A. (2003), Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision, Cambridge University Press, UK.
- Lunghi, F. Pavese, A., Peloso, S., Lanese, I. and Silvestri, D. (2012), "Computer vision system for monitoring in dynamic structural testing", Geotech. Geol. Earthq., 22, 159-176. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-1977-4_9
- Lyness, J.N. and Moler, C.B. (1967), "Numerical differentiation of analytic functions", SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 4(2), 202-210. https://doi.org/10.1137/0704019
- Maia, N. and Silva, J. (1998), Theoretical and Experimental Modal Analysis, Research Studies Press, Baldock, UK.
- Moeslund, T.B. and Granum, E. (2001), "A survey of computer vision-based human motion capture", Comput. Vis. Image. Und., 81(3), 231-268. https://doi.org/10.1006/cviu.2000.0897
- Razavizadeh, A., Ghiassi, B. and Oliveira, D.V. (2014), "Bond behavior of SRG-strengthened masonry units: Testing and numerical modeling", Constr. Build. Mater., 64, 387-397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.04.070
- Application of Digital Image Correlation to composite reinforcements testing vol.160, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2016.10.096
- Quasi real-time FEM calibration by 3D displacement measurements of large shaking table tests using HPC resources 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2016.07.005
- Full-scale tests on masonry vaults strengthened with Steel Reinforced Grout vol.141, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2017.12.023
- Test methods for Textile Reinforced Mortar systems vol.127, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2017.03.016
- Round Robin Test on tensile and bond behaviour of Steel Reinforced Grout systems vol.127, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2017.03.052
- Retrofitting Masonry Vaults with Basalt Textile Reinforced Mortar vol.747, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.747.250
- Methods and Challenges for the Seismic Assessment of Historic Masonry Structures 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/15583058.2016.1238976
- Experimental analysis on tensile and bond properties of PBO and aramid fabric reinforced cementitious matrix for strengthening masonry structures vol.127, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2017.05.048
- Mutual validation between different modal analysis techniques for dynamic identification of the so-called Temple of Minerva Medica, Rome vol.364, pp.1757-899X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/364/1/012004