- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Seismic bearing capacity of shallow footings on cement-improved soils
- Kholdebarin, Alireza (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kharazmi University) ;
- Massumi, Ali (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kharazmi University) ;
- Davoodi, Mohammad (Department of Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, IIEES)
- Received : 2014.09.17
- Accepted : 2015.01.07
- Published : 2016.01.25
A single rigid footing constructed on sandy-clay soil was modeled and analyzed using FLAC software under static conditions and vertical ground motion using three accelerograms. Dynamic analysis was repeated by changing the elastic and plastic parameters of the soil by changing the percentage of cement grouting (2, 4 and 6 %). The load-settlement curves were plotted and their bearing capacities compared under different conditions. Vertical settlement contours and time histories of settlement were plotted and analyzed for treated and untreated soil for the different percentages of cement. The results demonstrate that adding 2, 4 and 6 % of cement under specific conditions increased the dynamic bearing capacity 2.7, 4.2 and 7.0 times, respectively.
vertical ground motion;cement-improved soils;dynamic vertical settlement;shallow footing;normal stress
- Singh, V.K., Prasad, A. and Agrawal, R.K. (2007), "Effect of soil confinement on ultimate bearing capacity of square footing under eccentric-inclined load", Electron. J. Geotech. Eng., 12(E), 1-14.
- Sokolovski, V.V. (1960), Static of Soil Media, Butterworths, London, UK.
- Soubra, A.H. (1994), "Discussion on seismic bearing capacity and settlement of foundations", J. Geotech. Eng., ASCE, 120(9), 1634-1636. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1994)120:9(1634)
- Tatsuoka, F., Tani, K., Okahara, M., Morimoto, T., Tatsuta, M., Takagi, S. and Mori, J. (1989), "Discussion of influence of the foundation width on the bearing capacity factor", Soil. Found., 29(4), 146-154. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf1972.29.2_146
- Terzaghi, K. (1943), Theoretical Soil Mechanics, Wiley, New York, USA.
- Varadhi, S.N. and Saxena, S. (1980), "Foundation response to soil transmitted loads", J. Geotech. Eng., ASCE, 106(GT10), 1121-1139.
- Vesic, A.S. (1973), "Analysis of ultimate loads of shallow foundations", J. Soil Mech. Found. Div., ASCE, 99(SM1), 45-73.
- Zahiri, M. and Majdi, A. (2006), "Mathematical model for injection ratio in coarse soils", J. U. Coll. Eng., University of Tehran, 40(2), 237-249.
- Sarma, S.K. and Iossifelis, I.S. (1990), "Seismic bearing capacity factors of shallow strip footings", Geotech., 40(2), 265-273. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1922.214.171.1245
- Shafiee, Amir H. and Jahanandish, M. (2010), "Seismic bearing capacity factors for strip footings", Proceedings of the Fifth National Congress on Civil Engineering, 5NCCE. Mashhad, Iran.
- Kumar, S., Abraham, B.M., Sridharan, A. and Jose, B.T. (2013), "Bearing capacity improvement of loose sandy foundation soils through grouting", Int. J. Eng. Res. Appl., IJERA, 1(3), 1026-1033.
- Lacaster-Jones, P.F.F. (1975), "The interpretation of the Lugeon water test", Quart. J. Eng. Geol. Hydrogeol., 8(2), 151-154. https://doi.org/10.1144/GSL.QJEG.1975.008.02.05
- Massumi, A., Davoodi, M. and Kholdebarin, A.R. (2008), "Study on effects of various soil parameters on dynamic settlement of shallow foundations", Proceedings of the Fourth National Congress on Civil Engineering, 4NCCE. Tehran, Iran.
- Meyerhof, G.G. (1951), "The ultimate bearing capacity of foundations", Geotech., 2(4), 301-332. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19126.96.36.1991
- New Zealand national society for earthquake engineering (NZNSEE) (1996), The assessment and improvement of the structural performance of earthquake risk buildings, Draft for General Release, New Zealand.
- Nonveiller, E. (1989), Grouting, Theory and Practice, Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Rai, D.C. (2005), "Review of documents on seismic strengthening of existing buildings", Document IITKGSDMA-EQ07-V1.0, Final Report A - Earthquake Codes. Kanpur: Indian Institute of Technology.
- Richards, R., Elms, D.G. and Budhu, H. (1993), "Seismic bearing capacity and settlements of foundations", J. Geotech. Eng., ASCE, 119(4), 662-674. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1993)119:4(662)
- Ro, K.S. (1994), Static and Dynamic Behavior of Sands Treated with Chemical Grouts and Cementitious Admixtures, University of New Jersey, USA.
- Rosquoet, F., Alexis, A., Khelidj, A. and Phelipot, A. (2003), "Experimental study of cement grout: rheological behavior and sedimentation", Cement Concrete Res., 33(5), 713-722. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(02)01036-0
- Azzam, W.R. (2014), "Finite element analysis of skirted foundation adjacent to sand slope under earthquake loading", HBRC J., 11(2), 231-239.
- Beaudemoulin (1839), "Memoire sur les divers mouvements du pont de Tours et sur les moyens employes en 1835 et 1836 pour consolider les fondations des 9e, 10e et 11e piles de ce pont", Annales des Pont et Chaussees.
- Budhu, M. and Al-Karni, A. (1993), "Seismic bearing capacity of soils", Geotech., 43(1), 181-187. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19188.8.131.52
- Caquot, A. and Kerisel, J. (1953), "Sur le terme de surface dans le calcul des foundations en milieu pulverulent", Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, vol. I, ICOSOMES, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Chen, W.F. (1975), Limit Analysis and Soil Plasticity, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, London, UK.
- Collin, P.M. (1841), "De la reparation des constructions hydrauliques par la methode d'injection", Annales des Ponts et Chaussees, Series 2, 1, 280-302.
- Dano, C., Hicher, P.Y. and Tailliez, S. (2004), "Engineering properties of grouted sands", J. Geotech. Eng., ASCE, 130(3), 328-338. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2004)130:3(328)
- Das, B.M. and Ramana, G.V. (2011), Principles of Soil Dynamics, Second Edition, Cengage Learning, Stamford, USA.
- Dayakar, P., Venkat Raman, K. and Raju, K.V.B. (2012), "Study on permeation grouting using cement grout in sandy soil", IOSR J. Mech. Civ. Eng., 4(4), 5-10. https://doi.org/10.9790/1684-0440510
- Dormieux, L. and Pecker, A. (1995), "Seismic bearing capacity of foundation on cohesionless soil", J. Geotech. Eng., ASCE, 121(3), 300-303. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1995)121:3(300)
- Hvorslev, M.J. (1951), "Time lag and soil permeability in groundwater observations", US Army Corps of Engineers, Waterways Experimental Station, Bulletin No.36, Vicksburg, Mississipi: US Corps of Engineers.
- Irankhak Consulting Engineers (2008), "Geotechnical investigation report of Chabahar gas refinery project", Report No. 2043.
- Itasca Consulting Group, Inc. (2000), FLAC - Fast Lagrangian Analysis of Continua, User's manual.
- Khan, M.M., Yadav, R.K. and Dube, A.K. (2013), "A review on methods of ground improvement", Int. J. Eng. Sci. Res., 3(9), 488-490.
- Kholdebarin, A.R. (2008), "Effect of soil improvement (grouting method) on seismic bearing capacity of shallow footings (under vertical motions)", M.Sc. Thesis, Kharazmi University (KhU), Tehran, Iran.
- Kholdebarin, A.R., Massumi, A., Davoodi, M. and Tabatabaiefar, H.R. (2008) "Comparing of normal stress distribution in static and dynamic soil-structure interaction analyses", Proceedings of the Seismic Engineering Conference, Commemorating the 1908 Messina and Reggio Calabria Earthquake, MERCEA'08, American Institute of Physics (AIP), Conference Proceedings, Reggio Calabria, Italy.
- Kumar, J. and Mohan Rao, V.B.K. (2002), "Seismic bearing capacity factors for spread foundations", Geotech., 52(2), 79-88. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.2002.52.2.79