- Volume 16 Issue 18
Sarcopenia, characterized by a decline of skeletal muscle plus low muscle strength and/or physical performance, has emerged to be an important prognostic factor for advanced cancer patients. It is associated with poor performance status, toxicity from chemotherapy, and shorter time of tumor control. There is limited data about sarcopenia in cancer patients and associated factors. Moreover, the knowledge about the changes of muscle mass during chemotherapy and its impact to response and toxicity to chemotherapy is still lacking. This review aimed to provide understanding about sarcopenia and to emphasize its importance to cancer treatment.
- Barret M, Antoun S, Dalban C, et al (2014). Sarcopenia is linked to treatment toxicity in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Nutr Cancer, 66, 583-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2014.894103
- Chen LK, Liu LK, Woo J, et al (2014). Sarcopenia in Asia: consensus report of the Asian Working Group for Sarcopenia. J Am Med Dir Assoc, 15, 95-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2013.11.025
- Christensen JF, Jones LW, Andersen JL, et al (2014). Muscle dysfunction in cancer patients. Ann Oncol, 25, 947-58. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdt551
- Comte A, Huillard O, Biau D, et al (2014). Sarcopenia and acute severe toxicity in sarcoma patients treated wtih doxorubicinbased chemotherapy. Ann Oncol, 25, 504-5.
- Cruz-Jentoft AJ, Baeyens JP, Bauer JM, et al (2010). Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: Report of the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People. Age Ageing, 39, 412-23. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afq034
- Harimoto N, Shirabe K, Yamashita YI, et al (2013). Sarcopenia as a predictor of prognosis in patients following hepatectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma. Br J Surg, 100, 1523-30. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.9258
- Hayashi T, Kamachi K, Kazuno A, Ito E, Chino O, Shimada H, et al (2014). Impact of sarcopenia on long-term prognosis of patients with esophageal cancer after surgery. J Clin Oncol, 32, 118.
- Jung HW, Kim JW, Kim JY, et al (2015). Effect of muscle mass on toxicity and survival in patients with colon cancer undergoing adjuvant chemotherapy. Support Care Cancer, 23, 687-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-014-2418-6
- Kim TN, Choi KM (2013). Sarcopenia: definition, epidemiology, and pathophysiology. J Bone Metab, 20, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.11005/jbm.2013.20.1.1
- Luciani A, Gilda A, Tagliabue L, et al (2008). The impact of chemotherapy on sarcopenia and fatigue in elderly cancer patients: A prospective pilot study. J Clin Oncol, 26, 9635. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2008.26.15_suppl.9635
- Otsuji H, Yokoyama Y, Ebata T, et al (2015). Preoperative sarcopenia negatively impacts postoperative outcomes following major hepatectomy with extrahepatic bile duct resection. World J Surg, 39, 1494-500. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-015-2988-6
- Prado CM, Baracos VE, McCargar LJ, et al (2009). Sarcopenia as a determinant of chemotherapy toxicity and time to tumor progression in metastatic breast cancer patients receiving capecitabine treatment. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 2920-6. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-2242
- Prado CM, Lieffers JR, McCargar LJ, et al (2008). Prevalence and clinical implications of sarcopenic obesity in patients with solid tumours of the respiratory and gastrointestinal tracts: a population-based study. Lancet Oncol, 9, 629-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70153-0
- Psutka SP, Carrasco A, Schmit GD, et al (2014). Sarcopenia in patients with bladder cancer undergoing radical cystectomy: impact on cancer-specific and all-cause mortality. Cancer, 120, 2910-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.28798
- Stene GB, Helbostad JL, Amundsen T, et al (2015). Changes in skeletal muscle mass during palliative chemotherapy in patients with advanced lung cancer. Acta Oncol, 54, 340-8. https://doi.org/10.3109/0284186X.2014.953259
- Villasenor A, Ballard-Barbash R, Baumgartner K, et al (2012). Prevalence and prognostic effect of sarcopenia in breast cancer survivors: the HEAL Study. J Cancer Surviv, 6, 398-406. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-012-0234-x
- Elevated serum myostatin level is associated with worse survival in patients with liver cirrhosis vol.8, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcsm.12212
- Prognostic significance of sarcopenia in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma undergoing sorafenib therapy vol.14, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2017.6287
- Prevalence of Sarcopenia and Its Relationship with Nutritional State and Quality of Life in Patients with Digestive Diseases vol.64, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.64.445