- Volume 16 Issue 18
Background and Aims: Colorectal cancer is the second most frequent cancer in Malaysia. We aimed to assess the validity and reliability of the Malaysian Chinese version of European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) Quality of Life Questionnaire core (QLQ-C30) in patients with colorectal cancer. Materials and Methods: Translated versions of the QLQ-C30 were obtained from the EORTC. A cross sectional study design was used to obtain data from patients receiving treatment at two teaching hospitals in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The Malaysian Chinese version of QLQ-C30 was self-administered in 96 patients while the Karnofsky Performance Scales (KPS) was generated by attending surgeons. Statistical analysis included reliability, convergent, discriminate validity, and known-groups comparisons. Statistical significance was based on p value
EORTC QLQ-C30;colorectal carcinoma;Malaysia Chinese;validation
- Abu-Helalah MA, Alshraideh HA, Al-Hanaqta MM, et al (2014). Quality of life and psychological well-being of colorectal cancer survivors in Jordan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7653-64. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7653
- Arraras Urdaniz JI, Villafranca Iturre E, Arias de la Vega F, et al (2008). The eortc quality of life questionnaire QLQ-C30 (version 3.0). Validation study for Spanish prostate cancer patients. Arch Esp Urol, 61, 949-54.
- Cheng JX, Liu BL, Zhang X, et al (2011). The validation of the standard chinese version of the european organization for research and treatment of cancer quality of life core questionnaire 30 (EORTC QLQ-C30) in pre-operative patients with brain tumor in China. BMC Med Res Methodol, 11, 56. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-11-56
- Fayers PM (2001). Interpreting quality of life data: populationbased reference data for the EORTC QLQ-C30. Eur J Cancer, 37, 1331-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(01)00127-7
- Finck C, Barradas S, Singer S, et al (2012). Health-related quality of life in Colombia: reference values of the EORTC QLQ-C30. Eur J Cancer Care, 21, 829-36. https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12000
- Gujral S, Avery KNL, Blazeby JM (2008). Quality of life after surgery for colorectal cancer: clinical implications of results from randomised trials. Supportive Care in Cancer, 16, 127-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-007-0356-2
- Guzelant A, Goksel T, Ozkok S, et al (2004). The european organization for research and treatment of cancer QLQ-C30: an examination into the cultural validity and reliability of the Turkish version of the EORTC QLQ-C30. Eur J Cancer Care, 13, 135-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2003.00435.x
- Haggar FA, Boushey RP (2009). Colorectal cancer epidemiology: incidence, mortality, survival, and risk factors. Clin Colon Rectal Surg, 22, 191-7. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0029-1242458
- Hajebrahimi S, Sadeghi H, Sari RM (2013). C30 validity and reliability ICIQ-OAB questionnaire in the persian version. European Urology Supplements, 1138, 30.
- Hoopman R, Muller MJ, Terwee CB, et al (2006). Translation and validation of the EORTC QLQ-C30 for use among turkish and moroccan ethnic minority cancer patients in the netherlands. European J Cancer, 42, 1839-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.08.047
- Huang CC, Lien HH, Sung YC, et al (2007). Quality of life of patients with gastric cancer in Taiwan: validation and clinical application of the Taiwan Chinese version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 and EORTC QLQ-STO22. Psychooncol, 16, 945-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1158
- Hung HC, Chien TW, Tsay SL, et al (2013). Patient and clinical variables account for changes in health- related quality of life and symptom burden as treatment outcomes in colorectal cancer: a longitudinal study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1905-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1905
- Jayasekara H, Rajapaksa LC, Aaronson NK (2008). Quality of life in cancer patients in South Asia: psychometric properties of the Sinhala version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 in cancer patients with heterogeneous diagnoses. Qual Life Res, 17, 783-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-008-9345-2
- Kilic D, Yalman D, Aksu G, et al (2012). Impact of adjuvant chemoradiotherapy for rectal cancer on the long-term quality of life and late side effects: a multicentric clinical evaluation by the Turkish oncology group. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5741-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5741
- King MT (1996). The interpretation of scores from the EORTC quality of life questionnaire QLQ-C30. Qual Life Res, 5, 555-67. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00439229
- Luckett T, King MT, Butow PN, et al (2011). Choosing between the EORTC QLQ-C30 and FACT-G for measuring healthrelated quality of life in cancer clinical research: issues, evidence and recommendations. Ann Oncol, 22, 2179-90. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq721
- Luo N, Fones CS, Lim SE, et al (2005). The european organization for research and treatment of cancer quality of Life Questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-c30): validation of English version in Singapore. Qual Life Res, 14, 1181-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-004-4782-z
- Magaji BA, Law CW, Roslani AC, et al (2012). Health-related quality of life among colorectal cancer patients in Malaysia: A study protocol. BMC Cancer, 384.
- Magaji BA, Moy FM, Roslani AC, et al (2014). Descriptive epidemiology of colorectal cancer in University Malaya medical centre, 2001 to 2010. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6059-64. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6059
- Michelson H, Bolund C, Nilsson B, et al (2000). Health-related quality of life measured by the EORTC QLQ-C30--reference values from a large sample of Swedish population. Acta Oncol, 39, 477-84. https://doi.org/10.1080/028418600750013384
- Natrah MS, Ezat S, Syed MA, et al (2012). Quality of life in Malaysian colorectal cancer patients: a preliminary result. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 957-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.957
- Osoba D, Aaronson N, Zee B, et al (1997). Modification of the EORTC QLQ-C30 (version 2.0) based on content validity and reliability testing in large samples of patients with cancer. the study group on quality of life of the EORTC and the symptom control and quality of life committees of the NCI of canada clinical trials group. Qual Life Res, 6, 103-8.
- Pachler J, Wille-Jorgensen P (2012). Quality of life after rectal resection for cancer, with or without permanent colostomy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 12, 4323.
- Paiva CE, Carneseca EC, Barroso EM, et al (2014). Further evaluation of the EORTC QLQ-C30 psychometric properties in a large Brazilian cancer patient cohort as a function of their educational status. Support Care Cancer.
- Perwitasari DA, Atthobari J, Dwiprahasto I, et al (2011). Translation and validation of EORTC QLQ-C30 into Indonesian version for cancer patients in Indonesia. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 41, 519-29. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyq243
- Schwenk W, Neudecker J, Haase O, et al (2004). Comparison of EORTC quality of life core questionnaire (EORTCQLQ- C30) and gastrointestinal quality of life index (GIQLI) in patients undergoing elective colorectal cancer resection. Int J Colorectal Dis, 19, 554-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-004-0609-1
- Shah SA, Neoh HM, Rahim SS, et al (2014). Spatial analysis of colorectal cancer cases in Kuala Lumpur. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1149-54. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1149
- Sharifa Ezat WP, Fuad I, Hayati Y, et al (2014). Observational study on patient's satisfactions and quality of life (QoL) among cancer patients receiving treatment with palliative care intent in a tertiary hospital in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 695-701. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.695
- Smith AB, Cocks K, Parry D, et al (2013). Reporting of healthrelated quality of life (HRQOL) data in oncology trials: a comparison of the european organization for research and treatment of cancer quality of life (EORTC QLQ-C30) and the functional assessment of cancer therapy-general (FACT-G). Qual Life Res.
- Uwer L, Rotonda C, Guillemin F, et al (2011). Responsiveness of EORTC QLQ-C30, QLQ-CR38 and FACT-C quality of life questionnaires in patients with colorectal cancer. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 9, 70. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-9-70
- Velikova G, Coens C, Efficace F, et al (2012). Health-Related Quality of Life in EORTC clinical trials - 30 years of progress from methodological developments to making a real impact on oncology practice. Eur J Cancer Supplements, 10, 141-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6349(12)70023-X
- Wan C, Meng Q, Yang Z, et al (2008). Validation of the simplified Chinese version of EORTC QLQ-C30 from the measurements of five types of inpatients with cancer. Ann Oncol, 19, 2053-60. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdn417
- Yakar HK, Pinar R (2013). Reliability and validity of Turkish version of the caregiver quality of life index cancer scale. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4415-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4415
- Yun YH, Park YS, Lee E, et al (2004). Validation of the Korean version of the EORTC QLQ-C30. Quality Life Res, 13, 863-8. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:QURE.0000021692.81214.70
- Yusoff N, Low WY, CH Y (2010). The Malay version of the European organization for research and treatment of cancer quality of life questionnaire (EORTC-QLQ C30): realibility and validity study. Int Med J Malaysia, 9, 45-50.
- Zaj ACO, Spycha LAA, Murawa D, et al (2008). Quality of life assessment in patients with a stoma due to rectal cancer. Reports Practical Oncol Radiotherapy, 13, 130-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1507-1367(10)60003-X
- Exploration of Health Status, Illness Perceptions, Coping Strategies, Psychological Morbidity, and Quality of Life in Individuals With Fecal Ostomies vol.44, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1097/WON.0000000000000295
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE)