- Volume 16 Issue 18
Purpose: Anti-cancer activity evaluation of aqueous extract of CRUEL (herbomineral formulation) capsules on renal cell carcinoma cell lines, and exploration of mechanisms of cell death. Materials and Methods: To detect the cytotoxic dose concentration in renal cell carcinoma (RCC) cells, MTT assays were performed and morphological changes after treatment were observed by inverted microscopy. Drug effects against RCC cell lines were assessed with reference to cell cycle distribution (flow cytometry), anti-metastatic potential (wound healing assay) and autophagy(RT-PCR). Results: CRUEL showed anti-proliferative effects against RCC tumor cell lines with an IC50 value of
Cruel, uok 146;achn;renal cell carcinoma;cell cycle;autophagy
- Ahmad N, Fazal H, Abbasi BH, et al (2012). Biological role of Piper nigrum L. (Black pepper): A review. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed, 2, 1945-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2221-1691(12)60524-3
- Banerjee S, Panda CK, Das S (2006). Clove (Syzygium aromaticum L.), a potential chemopreventive agent for lung cancer. Carcinogenesis, 27, 1645-54.
- Baranska P, Jerczynska H, Pawlowska Z, Koziolkiewicz W, cierniewski CS (2005). Expression of integrins and adhesive properties of human endothelial cell line EA.hy 926. Cancer Genomics Proteomics, 2, 265-70.
- Chu XT, de la Cruz J, Hwang SG, Hong H (2014). Tumorigenic effects of endocrine-disrupting chemicals are alleviated by licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) root extract through suppression of AhR expression in mammalian cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4809-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4809
- Fu Y, Hsieh TC, Guo J, et al (2004). Licochalcone A, a novel flavonoid isolated from licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra), causes G2 and late-G1 arrests in androgen-independent PC3 prostate cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 322, 263-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2004.07.094
- Hamss RE, Idaomar M, Alonso-Moraga A, Munoz Serrano A (2003). Antimutagenic properties of bell and black peppers. Food Chem Toxicol, 41, 41-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(02)00216-8
- Huma A, Rizwani GH, Usman M, et al (2014). Drug development of herbomineral capsule (ALG-06) used for hypopigmentation specially in vitiligo. Pak J Pharm Sci, 27, 1451-7.
- Ito TK, Ishii G, Chiba H, Ochiai (2007). The VEGF angiogenic switch of fibroblasts is regulated by MMP-7 from cancer cells. Oncogene, 8, 7194-203.
- Jaganathan SK, Supriyanto E (2012). Antiproliferative and molecular mechanism of eugenol-induced apoptosis in cancer cells. Molecules, 17, 6290-304. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules17066290
- Jagetia GC, Nayak V, Vidyasagar MS (1998). Evaluation of the antineoplastic activity of guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) in cultured HeLa cells. Cancer Lett, 127, 71-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(98)00047-0
- Jagetia GC, Rao SK (2006). Evaluation of the antineoplastic activity of guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) in Ehrlich Ascites carcinoma bearing mice. Biol Pharm Bull, 29, 460-6. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.29.460
- Jahangir T, Khan TH, Prasad L, Sultana S (2006). Reversal of cadmium chloride-induced oxidative stress and genotoxicity by Adhatoda vasica extract in Swiss albino mice. Biol Trace Elem Res, 111, 217-28. https://doi.org/10.1385/BTER:111:1:217
- Jayakumar T, Ilayaraja M, Sridhar MP, et al (2009). Protective effect of Adhatoda vasica on D-galactosamine induced liver damage in rats with reference to lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status. J Natural Remedies, 9, 91-8.
- Jayawardhane NDN, De Silva RHSK, Tripathi JS, Narasimha Murthy KHHVSS, Tiwari SK (2012). An effective herbomineral treatment as an adjuvant therapy for the improvement of quality of life of hepatocellular carcinoma patient: a case report. Int Res J Pharmacy, 3, 266-70.
- Jiang ZF, Shao LJ, Wang WM, Yan XB, Liu RY (2012). Decreased expression of Beclin-1 and LC3 in human lung cancer. Mol Biol Rep, 39, 259-67. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-011-0734-1
- Khan F, Elahi A, Ali S (2014). Khamira marwarid khas, a herbomineral prescription, as mucosal immunopotentiator in murine model. African J Pharmacy Pharmacol, 8, 598-608.
- Kumar A, Ram J, Samarth RM, Kumar M (2005). Modulatory influence of Adhatoda vasica Nees leaf extract against gamma irradiation in Swiss albino mice. Phytomedicine, 12, 285-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2003.12.006
- Kumar S, Sharma S, Vasudeva N, Ranga V (2012). In vivo antihyperglycemic and antioxidant potentials of ethanolic extract from Tecomella undulata. Diabetol Metab Syndr, 4, 33. https://doi.org/10.1186/1758-5996-4-33
- Lee KG, Shibamoto T (2001). Antioxidant property of aroma extract isolated from clove buds [Syzygium aromaticum (L.) Merr. et Perry]. Food Chemistry, 74, 443-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(01)00161-3
- Liu FT, Agrawal SG, Gribben JG (2008). Bortezomib blocks Bax degradation in malignant B cells during treatment with TRAIL. Blood, 111, 2797-805. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2007-08-110445
- Manu KA, Leyon PV, Kuttan G (2007). Studies on the protective effects of Boerhaavia diffusa L. against gamma radiation induced damage in mice. Integr Cancer Ther, 6, 381-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735407309743
- Mishra R, Kaur G (2013). Aqueous ethanolic extract of Tinospora cordifolia as a potential candidate for differentiation based therapy of glioblastomas. PLoS One, 8, 78764. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0078764
- Nagaraj SRM, Lingaraj SM, Yashaswi B, Kumar A, Salimath BP (2012). MTA1 induced angiogenesis, migration and tumor growth is inhibited by Glycyrrhiza glabra. IOSR J Pharmacy, 2, 34-43.
- Olaleye MT, Akinmoladun AC, Ogunboye AA, Akindahunsi AA (2010). Antioxidant activity and hepatoprotective property of leaf extracts of Boerhaavia diffusa Linn against acetaminophen-induced liver damage in rats. Food Chem Toxicol, 48, 2200-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2010.05.047
- Prakash B, Parikh PM, Pal SK (2010). Herbo-mineral ayurvedic treatment in a high risk acute promyelocytic leukemia patient with second relapse: 12 years follow up. J Ayurveda Integr Med, 1, 215-8. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-9476.72618
- Ravi A, Mallika A, Sama V, et al (2011). Antiproliferative activity and standardization of Tecomella undulata bark extract on K562 cells. J Ethnopharmacol, 137, 1353-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.07.067
- Sharma V, Paliwal R, Janmeda P, Sharma S (2012). Chemopreventive efficacy of Moringa oleifera pods against 7, 12 dimethylbenz[a]anthracene induced hepatic carcinogenesis in mice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2563-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2563
- Sheikh S, Srivastava A, Tripathi R, et al (2012). Toxicity of a novel herbomineral preparation las01 on human cancer cell lines and its safety profile in humans and animals. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2012, 948375
- Sidhar SK, Clark J, Gill S, et al (1996). The t (X;1) (p11.2;q21.2) translocation in papillary renal cell carcinoma fuses a novel gene PRCC to the TFE3 transcription factor gene. Hum Mol Genet, 5, 1333-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/hmg/5.9.1333
- Soni H, Mehta H, Jani D, Patel G (2014). Pharmacological investigation of an Ayurvedic formulation on testosterone propionate-induced benign prostatic hyperplasia rats. J Exp Integr Med, 4, 131-6. https://doi.org/10.5455/jeim.280314.or.099
- Sreeja S, Sreeja S (2009). An in vitro study on antiproliferative and antiestrogenic effects of Boerhaavia diffusa L. extracts. J Ethnopharmacol, 126, 221-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2009.08.041
- Sreelatha S, Jeyachitra A, Padma PR (2011). Antiproliferation and induction of apoptosis by Moringa oleifera leaf extract on human cancer cells. Food Chemical Toxicolog, 49, 1270-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2011.03.006
- Sreelatha S, Padma PR (2009). Antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of moringa oleifera leaves in two stages of maturity. Plant Foods Hum Nutr, 64, 303-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-009-0141-0
- Sultana S, Asif HM, Nazar HM, et al (2014). Medicinal plants combating against cancer-a green anticancer approach. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4385-94. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4385
- Sunila ES, Kuttan G (2004). Immunomodulatory and antitumor activity of Piper longum Linn. and piperine. J Ethnopharmacol, 90, 339-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2003.10.016
- Tapon N, Harvey KF, Bell DW, et al (2002). Salvador promotes both cell cycle exit and apoptosis in Drosophila and is mutated in human cancer cell lines. Cell, 110, 467-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(02)00824-3
- Verma AR, Vijayakumar M, Mathela CS, Rao CV (2009) In vitro and in vivo antioxidant properties of different fractions of Moringa oleifera leaves. Food Chemical Toxicol, 47, 2196-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2009.06.005
- Verma SP, Tripathi VC, Das P (2014). Asparagus racemosus leaf extract inhibits growth of UOK 146 renal cell carcinoma cell line: simultaneous oncogenic PRCCTFE3 fusion transcript inhibition and apoptosis independent cell death. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1937-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1937
- Waheed A, Bibi Y, Nisa S (2013). Inhibition of human breast and colorectal cancer cells by Viburnum foetens L. extracts in vitro. Asian Pac J Trop Dis, 3, 32-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2222-1808(13)60007-9
- Zhao B, Wei X, Li W, et al (2007). Inactivation of YAP oncoprotein by the Hippo pathway is involved in cell contact inhibition and tissue growth control. Genes Dev, 21, 2747-61. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.1602907
- Sodium butyrate induces cell death by autophagy and reactivates a tumor suppressor gene DIRAS1 in renal cell carcinoma cell line UOK146 vol.54, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11626-018-0239-5