- Volume 16 Issue 18
Background: Gallbladder cancer (GBC) is a rare but highly invasive malignancy characterized by poor survival. In a national cancer survey, the age-standardized incidence rate of GBC was highest in Jeju Island among the 15 provinces in South Korea. The aim of this descriptive epidemiological study was to suggest the modifiable risk factors for this rare malignant disease in Jeju Island by performing an age-sex-matched case-control study. Materials and Methods: The case group included patients diagnosed with GBC at the Department of Internal Medicine of Cheju Halla General Hospital, Jeju, South Korea, within the 5-year study period. The control group consisted of age-sex-matched subjects selected from among the participants of the health promotion center at the same institute and in the same period. We compared 78 case-control pairs in terms of clinical variables such as histories of hypertension, diabetes, vascular occlusive disorders, alcohol and smoking consumption, obesity, and combined polypoid lesions of the gallbladder (PLG) or gallstone diseases (GSDs). Results: Among the relevant risk factors, alcohol consumption, parity
Gallbladder cancer;risk factor;Gallstone disease;alcohol consumption
- Ahrens W, Timmer A, Vyberg M, et al (2007). Risk factors for extrahepatic biliary tract carcinoma in men: medical conditions and lifestyle: results from a European multicentre case-control study. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 19, 623-30. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.meg.0000243876.79325.a1
- Alvi AR, Siddiqui NA, Zafar H (2011). Risk factors of gallbladder cancer in Karachi-a case-control study. World J Surg Oncol, 9, 164. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-9-164
- Bae J-M (2012). Regional difference in the occurrence of cancers on biliary system in Korea: a descriptive epidemiological study. Korean Public Health Res, 38, 49-55.
- Bagnardi V, Rota M, Botteri E, et al (2015). Alcohol consumption and site-specific cancer risk: a comprehensive dose-response meta-analysis. Br J Cancer, 112, 580-93. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2014.579
- Calle, EE, Rodriguez C, Walker-Thurmond K (2003). Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. adults. New Engl J Med, 348, 1625-38. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa021423
- Cha BH, Bae JM (2014). Comparison of clinical outcomes of incidental gallbladder cancers: a single-center crosssectional study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1281-3. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1281
- Chow WH, McLaughlin JK, Menck HR, et al (1994). Risk factors for extrahepatic bile duct cancers: Los Angeles County, California (USA). Cancer Causes Control, 5, 267-72. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01830247
- Li Y, Yang H, Cao J (2011). Association between alcohol consumption and cancers in the Chinese population: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One, 6, 18776. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0018776
- Liu B, Balkwill A, Roddam A, et al (2009). Separate and joint effects of alcohol and smoking on the risks of cirrhosis and gallbladder disease in middle-aged women. Am J Epidemiol, 169, 153-60.
- McNemar Q (1947). Note on the sampling error of the difference between correlated proportions or percentages. Psychometrika, 12, 153-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02295996
- Ozasa, K (2007). Alcohol use and mortality in the Japan Collaborative Cohort Study for Evaluation of Cancer (JACC). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 81-8.
- Randi G, Franceschi S, La Vecchia C (2006). Gallbladder cancer worldwide: geographical distribution and risk factors. Int J Cancer, 118, 1591-602. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21683
- Strom BL, Soloway RD, Rios-Dalenz JL, et al (1995). Risk factors for gallbladder cancer: an international collaborative case-control study. Cancer, 76, 1747-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19951115)76:10<1747::AID-CNCR2820761011>3.0.CO;2-L
- WHO Expert Consultation (2004). Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet, 363, 157-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)15268-3
- Yagyu K, Kikuchi S, Obata Y (2008). Cigarette smoking, alcohol drinking and the risk of gallbladder cancer death: a prospective cohort study in Japan. Int J Cancer, 122, 924-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23159
- Zatonski WA, Lowenfels AB, Boyle P, et al (1997). Epidemiologic aspects of gallbladder cancer: a case-control study of the SEARCH Program of the International Agency for Research on Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 89, 1132-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/89.15.1132