- Volume 10 Issue 1
Cyclic triaxial and resonant column tests were conducted to understand the beneficial effects of various grouted sands on liquefaction resistance and dynamic properties. The test procedures were performed on a variety of grouted sands, such as silicate-grouted sand, silicate-cement grouted sand and cement-grouted sand. For each type of grout, sand specimen was mixed with a 3.5% and 5% grout by volume. The specimens were tested at a curing age of 3, 7, 28 and 91 days, and the results of the cyclic stress ratio, the maximum shear modulus and the damping ratio were obtained during the testing program. The influence of important parameters, including the type of grout, grout content, shear strain, confining pressure, and curing age, were investigated. Results indicated that sodium silicate grout does not improve the liquefaction resistance and shear modulus; however, silicate-cement and cement grout remarkably increased the liquefaction resistance and shear modulus. Shear modulus decreased and damping ratio increased with an increase in the amplitude of shear strain. The effect of confining pressure on clean sand and sodium silicate grouted sand was found to be insignificant. Furthermore, a nonlinear regression analysis was used to prove the agreement of the shear modulus-shear strain relation presented by the hyperbolic law for different grouted sands, and the coefficients of determination,
silicate-grouted sand;cement-grouted;silicate-cement grouted sand;dynamic properties
- ASTM D422-2007 (2007), Standard Test Method for Particle-Size Analysis of Soils, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM D2487-2000 (2010), Standard Practice for Classification of Soils for Engineering Purposes (Unified Soil Classification System), West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM D4015-2007 (2010), Standard Test Methods for Modulus and Damping of Soils by Resonant-Column Method, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM D854-2010 (2010), Standard Test Methods for Specific Gravity of Soil Solids by Water Pycnometer, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM D5311-2013 (2013), Standard Test Method for Load Controlled Cyclic Triaxial Strength of Soil, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- Acar, Y.B. and El-Tahir, A. (1986), "Low strain dynamic properties of artificially cemented sand", J. Geotech. Eng, ASCE, 112(11), 1001-1015. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1986)112:11(1001)
- Ansal, A., Iyisan, R. and Yildirim, H. (2001), "The cyclic behaviour of soils and effects of geotechnical factors in microzonation", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 21(5), 445-452. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(01)00026-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(01)00026-4
- Chang, T. and Woods, R. (1987), "Effect of confining pressure on shear modulus of cemented sand", Soil Struct. Interact., 193-208.
- Chen, J.W. and Lin, C.Y. (2003), "Cemented behavior of hydraulic fill material", Proceedings of the 13th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Honolulu, HI, USA, May, pp. 432-439.
- Das, B.M. and Ramana, G.V. (2010), Principles of Soil Dynamics, (2nd ed.), Cengage Learning.
- Delfosse-Ribay, E., Djeran-Maigre, I., Cabrillac, R. and Gouvenot, D. (2004), "Shear modulus and damping ratio of grouted sand", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 24(6), 461-471. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2004.02.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2004.02.004
- Dupas, J.M. and Pecker, A. (1979), "Static and dynamic properties of sand-cement", J. Geotech. Eng. Div., ASCE, 105(5), 419-436.
- Gallagher, P.M. and Mitchell, J.K. (2002), "Influence of colloidal silica grout on liquefaction potential and cyclic undrained behavior of loose sand", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 22(9-12), 1017-1026. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(02)00126-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(02)00126-4
- Gonzalez, H. and Vipulanandan, C. (2007), "Behavior of a sodium silicate grouted sand", Proceedings of Geo-Denver 2007, Denver, CO, USA, February, pp. 1-10.
- Haeri, S.M., Hosseini, S.M., Toll, D.G. and Yasrebi, S.S. (2005), "The behaviour of an artificially cemented sandy gravel", Geotech. Geol. Eng., 23(5), 537-560. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-004-5110-7
- Hsiao, D.H., Phan, T.A.V. and Huang, C.C. (2014), "Liquefaction resistance of grouted sand", Proceedings of International Conference on Energy, Environment and Materials Engineering (EEME 2014), Shenzhen, China, February.
- Ishihara, K. (1993), "Liquefaction and flow failure during earthquakes", Geotechnique, 43, 351-451. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19220.127.116.111
- Kazemian, S., Prasad, A., Huat, B.B.K., Ghiasi, V. and Ghareh, S. (2012), "Effects of cement-sodium silicate system grout on tropical organic soils", Arab. J. Sci. Eng., 37(8), 2137-2148. DOI: 10.1007/s13369-012-0315-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-012-0315-1
- Liao, H.J., Huang, C.C. and Chao, B.S. (2004), "Liquefaction resistance of a colloid silica grouted sand", Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Grouting and Ground Treatment, New Orleans, LA, USA, February, pp. 1305-1313.
- Maher, M.H., Ro, K.S. and Welsh, J.P. (1994a), "Cyclic undrained behavior and liquefaction potential of sand treated with chemical grouts and Microfine Cement (MC-500)", Geotech. Test. J., 17(2), 159-170. https://doi.org/10.1520/GTJ10088J
- Maher, M.H., Ro, K.S. and Welsh, J.P. (1994b), "High strain dynamic modulus and damping of chemically grouted sand", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 13(2), 131-138. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0267-7261(94)90005-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/0267-7261(94)90005-1
- Mollamahmutoglu, M. and Yilmaz, Y. (2011), "Engineering properties of medium-to-fine sands injected with microfine cement grout", Mar. Georesour. Geotechnol., 29(2), 95-109. https://doi.org/10.1080/1064119X.2010.517715
- Mollamahmutoglu, M., Yilmaz, Y. and Kutlu, I. (2007), "Grouting performance of microfine cement and sodium silica fume mix into sands", J. ASTM International, 4(4), 1-7.
- Mominul, H.M., Alam, M.J., Ansary, M.A. and Karim, M.E. (2013), "Dynamic properties and liquefaction potential of a sandy soil containing silt", Proceeding of the 18th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Paris, France, September, pp. 1539-1542.
- Pantazopoulos, I.A. and Atmatzidis, D.K. (2012), "Dynamic properties of microfine cement grouted sands", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 42, 17-31. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2012.05.017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2012.05.017
- Persoff, P., Apps, J., Moridis, G. and Whang, J. (1999), "Effect of dilution and contaminants on sand grouted with colloidal silica", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 125(6), 461-469. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(1999)125:6(461) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(1999)125:6(461)
- Rollins, K., Evans, M., Diehl, N. and III, W. (1998), "Shear modulus and damping relationships for gravels", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., ASCE, 124(5), 396-405. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(1998)124:5(396)
- Saxena, S.K., Avramidis, A.S. and Reddy, K.R. (1988a), "Dynamic moduli and damping ratio for cemented sands at low strain", Can. Geotech. J., 25(2), 353-368. https://doi.org/10.1139/t88-036
- Saxena, S.K., Reddy, K.R. and Avramidis, A.S. (1988b), "Dynamic behavior of artificially cemented sands", Proceedings of 9th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Tokyo-Kyoto, Japan, August, pp. 41-46.
- Sladen, J.A., D'Hollander, R.D. an Krahn, J. (1985), "The liquefaction of sands, a collapse surface approach", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 22, 564-578. DOI: 10.1139/t85-076 https://doi.org/10.1139/t85-076
- Stokoe, K.H., Darendeli, M.B., Andrus, R.D. and Brown, L.T. (1999), "Dynamic soil properties: Laboratory, field and correlation studies", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, June, pp. 811-845.
- Taylor, H.F.W. (1998), Cement Chemistry, (2nd ed.), Thomas Telford, London, UK.
- Tsai, P.H. and Ni, S.H. (2012), "Effects of types of additives on dynamic properties of cement stabilized soils", Int. J. Appl. Sci. Eng., 10(2), 131-144.
- Vipulanandan, C. and Ata, A. (2000), "Cyclic and damping properties of silicate-grouted sand", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 126(7), 650-656. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2000)126:7(650) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2000)126:7(650)
- Wang, G.X. and Kuwano, J. (1999), "Modeling of strain dependency of shear modulus and damping of clayey sand", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 18(6), 463-471. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(99)00010-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(99)00010-X
- Yonekura, R. and Miwa, M. (1993), "Fundamental properties of sodium silicate based grout", Proceedings of the 11th Southeast Asia Geotechnical Conference, Singapore, May, pp. 439-444.
- A review of soil improvement with non-conventional grouts pp.1939-7879, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/19386362.2018.1484603