- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Behavior of polymer columns in soft clayey soil: A preliminary study
- Received : 2014.09.12
- Accepted : 2015.11.03
- Published : 2016.01.25
Deep soil mixing with cement and cement-lime mixtures has been widely used for decades to improve the strength of soils. In this study, small-scale laboratory model tests of polymer columns in soft clayey soil were conducted to evaluate the feasibility of using various polymeric compounds as binders in deep soil mixing. Floating and end bearing polymer columns were used to examine the load-settlement relationship of improved soft clayey soils for various area replacement ratios. The results indicate that polymer columns show good promise for use in deep mixing applications.
clayey soil;deep soil mixing;polyester;polymer column;floating column;end bearing column
- Akbulut, R.K., Zaimoglu, A.S. and Arasan, S. (2013), "Utilization of unsaturated polyester in improvement of sand with deep mixing method", Proceedings of the 5th Geotechnical Symposium, Cukurova University, Adana, Turkey, 5-7 December. [In Turkish with an English summary]
- Ali, K., Shahu, J.T. and Sharma, K.G. (2010), "Behaviour of reinforced stone columns in soft Soils: An experimental study", Proceedings of Indian Geotechnical Conference, Mumbai, India, 16-18 December, pp. 625-628.
- Arasan, S. and Nasirpur, O. (2015), "The effects of polymers and fly ash on unconfined compressive strength and freeze-thaw behavior of loose saturated sand", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 8(3), 361-375. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.8.3.361
- Arasan, S., Isik, F., Akbulut, R.K., Nasirpur, O. and Zaimoglu, A.S. (2015), "Rapid stabilization of sands with deep mixing method using polyester", Periodica Polytechnica, 59(3), 405-411. https://doi.org/10.3311/PPci.7956
- Bagherinia, M. (2013), "Utilization of unsaturated polyester in improvement of clays with deep mixing method", Master Thesis; Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey. [In Turkish with an English summary]
- Bahner, E.W. and Naguib, A.M. (2000), "Ground improvement for large above ground petroleum storage tanks using deep mixing", Proceedings of GeoDenver 2000, Denver, CO, USA, 7-8 August.
- Bell, F.G. (1993), Engineering Treatment of Soils, E & FN Spon.
- Bergado, D.T., Alfaro, M.C. and Chai, J.C. (1991), "The granular pile: its present state and future prospects for improvement of soft Bangkok clay", J. South Asian Soc. Soil Eng., Geotech. Eng., 22, 143-171.
- Binquet, J. and Lee, K.L. (1975), "Bearing capacity tests on reinforced earth slabs", ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering Division, 101(12), 1241-1255.
- Bruce, D. and Bruce, M. (2003), "The Practitioner's guide to deep mixing", Grout. Ground Treat., 1, 474-488.
- Bruce, D.A., Bruce, M.E.C. and Dimileo, A. (1998), "Deep mixing method: A global perspective", ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, 81, 1-15.
- Chai, J. and Pongsivasathit, P. (2010), "A method for predicting consolidation settlements of floating column improved clayey subsoil", Front. Architect. Civil Eng. China, 4(2), 241-251. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-010-0024-3
- Demir, A., Sarici, T., Laman, M., Bagriacik, B. and Ok, B. (2013), "An experimental study on behaviour of geosynthetic reinforced stone columns", Proceedings of the 2nd International Balkans Conference on Challenges of Civil Engineering, BCCCE Epoka University, Tirana, Albania, 23-25 May, pp. 832-841.
- Duraisamy, Y. (2008), "Preliminary design chart of cement columns for deep soil mixing method in tropical peat", ICCBT E, 40, 495-510.
- Ghazavi, M. and Afshar, J.N. (2013), "Bearing capacity of geosynthetic encased stone columns", Geotext. Geomembr., 38, 26-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2013.04.003
- Khabbazian, M., Kaliakin, V.N. and Meehan, C.L. (2010), "Numerical study of the effect of geosynthetic encasement on the behaviour of granular columns", Geosynth. Int., 17(3), 132-143. https://doi.org/10.1680/gein.2010.17.3.132
- Kitazume, M. and Nishimura, S. (2012), "An application of wet grab sampling to quality assurance of deepmixed soil", Grout. Deep Mix., pp. 427-436.
- Kitazume, M., Okano, K. and Miyajima, S. (2000), "Centrifuge model tests on failure envelope of column type deep mixing method improved ground", Soil. Found., 40(4), 43-55.
- Maher, A., Douglas, W.S., Yang, D., Jafari, F. and Schaefer, V.R. (2007), "Cement deep soil mixing (CDSM) for solidification of soft estuarine sediments", Mar. Georesour. Geotech., 25(3-4), 221-235. https://doi.org/10.1080/10641190701699319
- Malarvizhi, S.N. and Ilamparuthi, K. (2004), "Load versus settlement of clay bed stabilized with stone and reinforced stone columns", Proceedings of GeoAsia-2004, Seoul, Korea, 20-23 June, pp. 322-329.
- Malekpoor, M.R. and Poorebrahim, G.R. (2014), "Behavior of compacted lime-soil columns", Int. J. Eng. - Transactions B: Applications, 27(2), 315-324.
- Murugesan, S. and Rajagopal, K. (2010), "Studies on the behavior of single and group of geosynthetic encased stone columns", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 136(1), 129-139. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000187
- Newman, K. and Tingle, J.S. (2004), "Emulsion polymers for soil stabilization", Proceedings of 2004 FAA Worldwide Airport Technology Transfer Conference, Atlantic City, NJ, USA, 18-20 April.
- Porbaha, A., Tanaka, H. and Kobayashi, M. (1998), "State of the art in deep mixing technology, Part II:Applications, Ground Improvement", J. ISSMGE, 2(3), 125-139.
- Sarici, T., Demir, A., Altay, G., Laman, M., Ok, B. and Bagriacik, B. (2013), "Experimental evaluation of stone column in soft clay with small scale tests", Proceedings of the 5th Geotechnical Symposium, Cukurova University, Adana, Turkey, 5-7 December. [In Turkish with an English summary]
- Sengor, M.Y. (2011), "The deformation characteristics of deep mixed columns in soft clayey soils: A model study", Doctoral Thesis; METU, Ankara, Turkey.
- Sukontasukkul, P. and Jamsawang, P. (2012), "Use of steel and polypropylene fibers to improve flexural performance of deep soil-cement column", Construct. Build. Mater., 29, 201-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.10.040
- Sunnetcioglu, M.E. (2012), "A laboratory model study on settlement reduction of stone columns in soft clay", Doctoral Thesis; METU, Ankara, Turkey.
- Tandel, Y.K., Solanki, C.H. and Desai, A.K. (2014), "Field behaviour of geotextile reinforced sand column", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 6(2), 195-211. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2014.6.2.195
- Vekli, M., Aytekin, M., Ikizler, S.B. and C alik, U . (2012), "Experimental and numerical investigation of slope stabilization by stone columns", Nat. Hazard., 64(1), 797-820. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-012-0272-8
- Yi, Y., Liska, M., Akinyugha, A., Unluer, C. and Al-Tabbaa, A. (2013), "Preliminary laboratory-scale model auger installation and testing of carbonated soil-MgO columns", Geotech. Test. J., 36(3), 1-10.
- Failure Investigation at a Collapsed Deep Open Cut Slope Excavation in Soft Clay vol.36, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-017-0337-2