- Volume 1 Issue 1
This paper adopts and investigates the non-dominated sorting approach for extending the single-objective Cuckoo Search (CS) into a multi-objective framework. The proposed approach uses an archive composed of primary and secondary population to select and keep the non-dominated solutions at each generation instead of pairwise analogy used in the original Multi-objective Cuckoo Search (MOCS). Our simulations show that such a low computational complexity approach can enrich CS to incorporate multi-objective needs instead of considering multiple eggs for cuckoos used in the original MOCS. The proposed MOCS is tested on a set of multi-objective optimization problems and two well-studied engineering design optimization problems. Compared to MOCS and some other available multi-objective algorithms such as NSGA-II, our approach is found to be competitive while benefiting simplicity. Moreover, the proposed approach is simpler and is capable of finding a wide spread of solutions with good coverage and convergence to true Pareto optimal fronts.
multi-objective optimization;engineering design;cuckoo search;metaheuristic
- Branke, J., Kaubler, T. and Schmeck, H. (2001), "Guidance in evolutionary multi-objective optimization", Adv. Eng. Softw., 32(6), 499-507. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-9978(00)00110-1
- Coello, C.A.C., Pulido, G.T. and Lechuga M.S. (2014), "Handling multiple objectives with particle swarm optimization", IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput., 8(3), 256-279.
- Deb, K., Pratap, A., Agarwal, S. and Meyarivan, T. (2002), "A fast and elitist multiobjective genetic algorithm: NSGA-II", IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput., 6(2), 182-197. https://doi.org/10.1109/4235.996017
- Gong, W., Cai, Z. and Zhu, L. (2009), "An efficient multiobjective differential evolution algorithm for engineering design", Struct. Multidiscip. Optim., 38(2), 137-157. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-008-0269-9
- Hanoun, S., Creighton, D. and Nahavandi, S. (2014), "A hybrid cuckoo search and variable neighborhood descent for single and multiobjective scheduling problems", Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Tech., 75(9-12), 1501- 1516. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-014-6262-0
- Kaveh, A. (2014), Advances in mataheuristic algorithms for optimal design of structures, Springer, Switzerland.
- Kaveh, A. and Bakhshpoori, T. (2013), "Optimum design of steel frames using cuckoo search algorithm with Lévy flights", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 22(13), 1023-1036. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.754
- Kaveh, A., Bakhshpoori, T. and Barkhori, M. (2014), "Optimum design of multi-span composite box girder bridges using Cuckoo Search algorithm", Steel Compos. Struct., 17(5), 705-719. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.5.705
- Kanagaraj, G., Ponnambalam, S.G. and Jawahar, N. (2013), "A hybrid cuckoo search and genetic algorithm for reliability-redundancy allocation problems", Comput. Indust. Eng., 66(4), 1115-1124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2013.08.003
- Ray, T. and Liew, K.M. (2002), "A swarm metaphor for multiobjective design optimization", Eng. Optim., 34(2), 141-153. https://doi.org/10.1080/03052150210915
- Shayanfar, M.A., Ashoory, M., Bakhshpoori, T. and Farhadi, B. (2013), "Optimization of modal load pattern for pushover analysis of building structures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 47(1), 119-129. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.47.1.119
- Srivastav, A. and Agrawal, S. (2015), "Multi objective cuckoo search optimization for fast moving inventory items", Adv. Intell. Syst. Comput., 320, 503-510. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-11218-3_45
- Srinivas, N. and Deb, K. (1994), "Multiobjective function optimization using nondominated sorting genetic algorithms", Evol. Comput., 2(3), 221-248. https://doi.org/10.1162/evco.19220.127.116.11
- Yahya, M. and Saka, M.P. (2014), "Construction site layout planning using multi-objective artificial bee colony algorithm with Levy flights", Autom Construct., 38, 14-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2013.11.001
- Yang, X.S. and Deb, S. (2013), "Multiobjective cuckoo search for design optimization", Comput. Oper. Res., 40(6), 1616-1624. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2011.09.026
- Yang, X.S. and Deb, S. (2010), "Engineering optimisation by cuckoo search", Int. J. Math. Model Numer. Optim., 1(4), 330-343.
- Zeltni, K. and Meshoul, S. (2014), "Multi-objective cuckoo Search with leader selection strategies", Combinatorial optimization, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 8596, 421-432.