- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Impacts of Rainfall Events and Distribution on Unsaturated Soil Slope Analysis
불포화 토사사면 해석에 대한 강우사상과 분포의 영향
- Received : 2015.11.23
- Accepted : 2015.12.30
- Published : 2016.01.31
The time distribution of rainfall is one of the most important considerations for evaluating soil slope stability. In order to study the rainfall-induced slope failure, the rainfall pattern has generally been assumed as uniform rainfall intensity for rainfall duration. However, it should be noted that the time distribution of the design rainfall method has a significant effect on the soil slope instability. The study implemented Mononobe, Huff, and uniform method as three types of time distribution method of the design rainfall to estimate the factor of safety of soil slopes by rainfall duration. As a result, the difference of soil suction and unsaturated hydraulic properties in a soil by rainfall pattern was found through the application of an appropriate time distribution method to numerical simulation for rainfall-induced slope stability.
Unsaturated soil slope;Soil-water characteristic curve;Huff method;Mononobe method;Rainfall distribution
- Kim, H. K. (2014), "Stability Analysis in Unsaturated Soil Slopes Considering Time Distribution of Rainfall", Master Thesis, Dankook University.
- Lee, S. R., Kim, Y. K., Choi, J. C., and Oh, J. K. (2006), "Measurements of Variation of Unsaturated Soil Properties in Compacted Road Slope due to Rainfall Infiltration", Proceeding of Korean Society of Civil Engineering, No.10, pp.3865-3868.
- Lee, J. S., Song, Y. K., and Kim, Y. T. (2012), "Slope Stability Characteristic of Unsaturated Weathered Granite Soil in Inje considering Antecedent Rainfall", Journal of the Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, Vol.12, No.4, pp.85-92. https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2012.12.4.085
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (MLTMA-PR, 2011), "Probability Rainfall Table", Avaliable from "www.k-idf.re.kr"
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (MLTMA, 2012), "Design Standard for Flood Estimation", Korea.
- National Disaster Management Institute (2010), "Study on the Steep Slope Information Compilation and Establishment of an Analysis System", Report.
- Oh, J. R. (2013), "Analysis of Landslide Triggering Rainfall Threshold for Prediction of Landslide Occurrence", Ph.D. Thesis, Sejong University.
- Tsaparas, I., Rahardjo, H., Toll, D. G., and Leong, E. C. (2002), "Controlling Parameters for Rainfall-induced Landslides", Computers and Geotechnics, Vol.29, pp.1-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-352X(01)00019-2
- van Genuchten (1980), "A Closed form Equation for Predicting the Hydraulic Conductivity of Unsaturated Soils", Soil Science Society of America Journal, Vol.44, pp.892-898. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1980.03615995004400050002x
- Huff, F. A. (1970), "Time Distribution Characteristics of Rainfall Rates", Water Resources Research, Vol.6, No.2, pp.447-454. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR006i002p00447
- Kim, Y. K. (2009), "Soil Slope Design and Stability Evaluation Metholdolgy Considering Hydraulic Conductivity and Rainfall Characteristics", Ph.D Thesis, KAIST.
- Chang, Bhum-Soo (2012), "Paradigm Shift to Reduce Upcoming Slope Disasters", Magazine of National Disaster Management Institute, Vol.14, No.4, pp.16-21.
- Fredlund, D. G. and Xing, A. (1994), "Equations for the Soil-water Characteristic Curve", Canadian geotechnical Journal, Vol.31, No.3, pp.512-532.
- GeoStudio (2012), Version 8.0, User's guide, International Ltd., Calgary, Canada.
- Huff, F. A. (1967), "Time Distribution of Rainfall in Heavy Storms", Water Resources Research, Vol.3, No.4, pp.1007-1019. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR003i004p01007
Supported by : 한국연구재단