- Volume 58 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Controlled Drainage and Slow-release Fertilizer on Nutrient Pollutant Loads from Paddy Fields
물꼬관리 및 완효성 비료 시비가 포장단위 논에서의 영양물질 배출부하량에 미치는 영향
Kim, Kyeung;Kang, Moon Seong;Song, Inhong;Song, Jung-Hun;Park, Jihoon;Jun, Sang Min;Jang, Jeong Ryeol;Kim, Jin Soo
- Received : 2015.07.15
- Accepted : 2015.12.31
- Published : 2016.01.30
The objective of this study was to investigate the effects of farming methods on mass balance from paddy rice. The experiment fields were established at Chunpo-myeon, Iksan-si in the Saemangeum watershed. Experiment was performed during the growing season to assess water and mass balances of the study field in 2013. The three different farming practices were applied: conventional (TR-A), drainage outlet heighten (TR-B) and slow release fertilizer use (TR-C). Drainage amount from TR-B was reduced by 28.5 % compared to the TR-A, while the amount from TR-C was similar to that of TR-A. Overall, nutrient concentration of paddy water were similar among the treatments except for T-P. Mean T-P concentration from TR-C was lower than that from TR-A (p-value<0.05). As the results of mass balance, TR-B appeared to reduce nutrient surface loss, substantially by 30.9 % and 40.8 % for T-N and T-P an compared to TR-A. TR-C treatment also demonstrated nutrient load reduction by 38.2 % and 40.1 % for T-N and T-P. The study results showed that water and fertilizer treatments are effective in surface load reduction respectively from paddy fields, and, long-term monitoring and evaluation is needed to confirm the reduction.
Paddy field;drainage outlet heighten;water balance;mass balance
- Cho, J. Y., J. G. Son, J. K. Choi, C. H. Song, and B. Y. Chung, 2008. Surface and subsurface losses of N and P from saltaffected rice paddy fields of Saemangeum reclaimed land in South Korea. Paddy Water Environment 6: 211-219. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10333-007-0082-x
- Choi, J. D., S. K. Kwun, and G. S. Kwon, 2004. Evaluation of NPS Pollutant Loads from Clayey Loam Fields. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineering 46(2): 107-114 (in Korean).
- Choi, J. K., J. G. Son, K. S. Yoon, H. J. Lee, and Y. J. Kim, 2012. Runoff Characteristics in Paddy Field using Cow Manure Compost Fertilizer. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineering 54(3): 29-36 (in Korean).
- Evans, R. O., R. W. Skaggs, and J. W. Gilliam, 1995. Controlled versus conventional drainage effects on water quality. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 121(4): 271-276. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9437(1995)121:4(271)
- Han, K. H., 2011. Characteristics of Non-Point Sources Pollutant Loads at Paddy Plot Located at the Valley Watershed during Irrigation Periods. Journal of Korean National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage 18(1): 94-102 (in Korean).
- IBM SPSS Statistics ver. 21.
- Jang, N. J., B. G. Kim, S. H. Im, and T. K. Kim, 2012. A Study on Evaluation of Target Region for the Agricultural Non-Point Sources Management. Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers 34(1): 23-31 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2012.34.1.023
- Jang, T. I., H. K. Kim, S. J. Im, and S. W. Park, 2010. Simulations of storm hydrographs in a mixed-landuse watershed using a modified TR-20 model. Agricultural Water Management 97: 201-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2009.09.004
- Anbumozhi, V., E. Yamaji, and T. Tabuchi, 1998. Rice crop growth and yield as influenced by changes in ponding water depth, water regime and fertigation level. Agricultural Water Management 37: 241-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-3774(98)00041-9
- Chang, S. W., M. S. Kang, I. H. Song, J. R. Jang, E. J. Lee, and S. W. Park, 2011. Effects of Fertilizer Types on Pollutant Loadings from Rice Paddy Fields. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineering 53(6): 111-119 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2011.53.6.111
- Jang, T. I., H. K. Kim, C. H. Seong, E. J. Lee, and S. W. Park, 2012. Assessing nutrient losses of reclaimed wastewater irrigation in paddy fields for sustainable agriculture. Agriculture Water Management 104: 235-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2011.12.022
- Jeon, J. H., C. G. Yoon, J. K. Choi, and K. S. Yoon, 2005. The comparison of water budget and nutrient loading from paddy field according to the irrigation methods. Korean Journal of Limnlolgy 38(1): 118-127 (in Korean).
- Kang, M. S., S. W. Park, J. J. Lee, and K. H. Yoo, 2006. Applying SWAT for TMDL programs to a small watershed containing rice paddy fields. Agricultural Water Management 79(1): 72-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2005.02.015
- Kang, M. S., 2010. Development of improved farming methods to reduce agricultural non-point source pollution. Magazine of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 52(4): 40-50 (in Korean).
- Kim, M. K., K. A. Roh, N. J. Lee, M. C. Seo, and M. H. Koh, 2005. Nutrient load balance in large-scale paddy fields during rice cultivation. Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer 38(3): 164-171 (in Korean).
- Lee, J. B., J. Y. Lee, S. H. Li, J. R. Jang, I. G. Jang, and J. S. Kim, 2014. Nutrient Balance in the Paddy Fields Watershed with a Source of River Water. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineering 56(5): 11-19 (in Korean).
- Lee, K. B., C. W. Park, K. L. Park, J. G. Kim, D. B. Lee, and J. D. Kim, 2005. Nitrogen Balance in Paddy Soil of Control- Release Fertilizer Application. Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer 38(3): 157-163 (in Korean).
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MOLIT), 2013. Cadastral Statistics yearbook, Sejong Metropolitan Autonomous City, Korea (in Korean).
- Mishra, A., A. K. Ghorai, and S. R. Singh, 1998. Rainwater, soil and nutrient conservation in rainfed rice lands in Eastern India. Agriculture Water Management 38(1): 45-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-3774(98)00052-3
- Relevant Ministerial Consortium, 2012. Second Nonpoint Source Management Comprehensive Plan. 11-1480000-001222-01. Sejong Metropolitan Autonomous City: Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (in Korean).
- Yoon, C. G., H. S. Hwang, K. W. Jung, and J. H. Jeon, 2003a. Effects of ponded-water depth and reclaimed wastewater irriagation on paddy rice culture. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineering 45(4): 55-65 (in Korean).
- Yoon, C. G., J. H. Ham, and J. H. Jeon, 2003b. Mass balance analysis in Korean paddy rice culture. Paddy and Water Environment 1(2): 99-106. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10333-003-0018-z
- Yoon, G. S., J. Y. Cho, J. K. Choi and J. G. Son, 2006. Water Management and N, P Losses From Paddy Fields In Southern Korea. Journal of the American Water Resource Association 42(5): 1205-1216. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2006.tb05607.x
- Song, J. H., M. S. Kang, I. H. Song, and J. R. Jang, 2012. Comparing Farming Methods in Pollutant runoff loads from Paddy Fields using the CREAMS-PADDY Model. Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture 31(4): 318-327 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2012.31.4.318
- Song, J. H., M. S. Kang, I. H. Song, S. H. Hwang, J. H. Park, S. M. Jun, K. U. Kim, and J. R. Jang, 2013. Analysis of Nutrient Load Balance in the Reservoir Irrigated Paddy Block. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 55(6): 167-175 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2013.55.6.167
- Song, J. H., H. S. Jeong, J. H. Park, I. H. Song, M. S. Kang, and S. W. Park, 2014. Analysis of Water Quality and Soil Environment in Paddy Fields Partially Irrigated with Untreated Wastewater. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 56(6): 19-29 (in Korean).
Grant : 농업비점오염 저감을 위한 영농방법 개선 기법 개발
Supported by : 농어촌연구원