- Volume 58 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Development of Elastic Composites Using Waste Tire Chip and Epoxy Resin - Focused on Strength and Durability -
폐타이어 칩 및 에폭시를 활용한 탄성 복합체의 개발 - 강도와 내구성을 중심으로 -
- Received : 2015.11.04
- Accepted : 2016.01.15
- Published : 2016.01.30
This study was performed to evaluate the strength and durability properties of modified epoxy composites with waste tire chip, recycled coarse aggregate, filler and modified epoxy to improve elongation and elasticity of epoxy. Additionally, for comparing to modified epoxy and unsaturated polyester resin as a binder, unsaturated polyester resin composites were developed in the same condition. The mix proportions were determined to satisfy the requirement for the workability and slump according to aggregate size and binder content. Tests for the compressive and flexural strength, freezing and thawing and durability for 20 % sulfuric solution were performed. The compressive and flexural strength of modified epoxy composites were in the range of 34.9~61.6 MPa and 10.2~18.3 MPa at the curing 7 days, respectively. Also, the compressive and flexural strength of unsaturated polyester resin composites were in the range of 44.2~77.8 MPa and 11.3~20.8 MPa at the curing 7 days, respectively. After 300 cycles of freezing and thawing, weight decrease ratio and durability factor of modified epoxy composites were in the range of 0.8~1.9 % and 95~98, respectively. Accordingly, modified epoxy composites will greatly improve the durability of concrete.
waste tire chip;modified epoxy;composites;strength;durability
- Sung, C. Y., and T. H. Kim, 2011. Engineering properties of permeable polymer concrete for pavement using powdered waste glass and recycled coarse aggregate. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 53(6): 59-65 (in Korean).
- Brandt, A. M., 1995. Cement-based composites : materials, chemical properties and performance. E & FN Spon.
- Czernin, W., 1980. Cement chemistry and physics for civil eengineers. Wiesbadener Graphische Betriebe GmbH: 10-17.
- Fontana, J. J., M. Steinberg, and W. Reams, 1987. Lightweight polymer concrete composites. Polymer Modified Concrete, American Concrete Institute: 51-71.
- Folwer. D. W., 1994. Current uses of polymer concrete in the United States, Proceedings of the First East Asia Symposium on Polymers in Concrete: 3-9.
- Kim, I. S., and C. Y. Sung, 2008. Compressive strength and acid-resistant of polymer concrete using redispersible polymer and blast furance slag powder. Journal of the Korean Society Agricultural Engineers 50(5): 19-27 (in Korean).
- Kim, Y. I., and C. Y. Sung, 2009. Strength and durability properties of recycled polymer concrete using unsaturated polyester resin and recycled aggregate. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 51(6): 97-103 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2009.51.6.097
- Lee, M. H., and S. H. Lee, 2008. Fundamental study of fireproof characteristics of high strength concrete using meta-kaolin and waste tire chip. Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute 20(1): 89-97 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2008.20.1.089
- Malhotra, V. M., and N. J. Carino, 1991. Handbook on mondestructive testing of concrete. CRC Press: 50-83.
- Neville, A. M., 1995. Properties of concrete, 4rd Ed. Longman Malaysia, London: 605-674.
- Sandberg, P., 1995. Resistance of non-air-entrained RHA concrete to freezing and thawing in saline environment. Firth CANMET/ACI International Conference on Fly Ash, Silica Fume, Slag, and Natural Pozzolans in Concrete, Milwaukee, WI.
- Sung, C. Y., 1995. An experimental study on the mechanical properties of high performance lightweight polymer concrete. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 37(3.4): 72-81 (in Korean).
- Sung, C. Y., and Y. I. Kim, 2003. Physical and mechanical properties of concrete using recycled aggregate and industurial by-products. Jounrnal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 45(6): 128-135 (in Korean).
- Sung, C. Y., and S. H. Im, 2004. Freezing and thawing properties of high strength concrete using recycled coarse aggregate. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 46(2): 59-66 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2004.46.2.059
- Sung, C. Y., and N. H. Ryu, 2004. Characteristics of recycled concrete using recycled coarse aggregate and industrial byproducts. Journal of Advanced Mineral Aggregate Composites 9: 125-132 (in Korean).
- Sung, C. Y., and I. S. Park, 2005. Fluidity of super flow concrete using recycled coarse aggregate, Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 47(2): 55-61 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2005.47.2.055
- Sung, C. Y., and S. C. Back, 2005. Strength properties of polymer concrete using recycled aggregate. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 47(4): 25-32 (in Korean).
Supported by : 충남대학교