- Volume 58 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Relationship between Streamflow Variability and Baseflow Contribution in Nakdong River Basin
낙동강 수계에서의 하천유량 변동성과 기저유출 기여도의 관계 분석
- Received : 2016.01.12
- Accepted : 2016.01.18
- Published : 2016.01.30
More severe and frequent flood and drought have increased the attentions on the river management. In particular, baseflow is an important element among many streamflow characteristics because streamflow is mainly consisted of direct runoff and baseflow. In this regard, this study attempted to analyze the relationship between streamflow variability and baseflow contributions on Nakdong river basin. For this, two Streamflow Variability Indices (SVI) were used: Coefficient of Variation (CV) and Coefficient of Flow Regime (CFR). Furthermore, baselow separation was individually conducted by three methods (PART, WHAT and BFLOW), and based on this, Baseflow Index (BFI) was calculated. Also, we used the daily streamflow data retrieved from 27 gauge stations in Nakdong river basin for baseflow separation. The results showed that BFI calculated by three models ranges from 0.14 to 0.90 for 27 gauge stations. For SVI, BFI has much higher correlation with CV than with CFR. Also, the inversely proportional relationship between BFI and CV showed that higher baseflow contribution, less streamflow variability.
- Arnold, J.G., and P.M. Allen. 1999. Validation of Automated Methods for Estimating Baseflow and Groundwater Recharge From Stream Flow Records. Journal of American Water Resources Association 35(2): 411-424. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.1999.tb03599.x
- Bae, D. H., W. J. Il, and H. J. Chang, 2007. Potential changes in Korean water resources estimated by high-resolution climate simulation. Climate Research 35(3): 213 (in Korean).
- Brodie, R. S., and S. Hostetler, s2005. A review of techniques for analysing baseflow from stream hydrographs. In Proceedings of the NZHS-IAH-NZSSS 2005 conference (28).
- Deelstra, J., and A. Lital, 2008. The use of the flashiness index as a possible indicator for nutrient loss prediction in agricultural catchments. Boreal environment research 13(3): 209-221.
- Dery, S. J., T. J. Mlynowski, M. A. Hernandez-Henriquez, and F. Straneo, 2011. Interannual variability and interdecadal trends in Hudson Bay streamflow. Journal of Marine Systems 88(3): 341-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2010.12.002
- Dettinger, M. D. and H. F. Diaz, 2000. Global characteristics of stream flow seasonality and variability. Journal of Hydrometeorology 1(4): 289-310. https://doi.org/10.1175/1525-7541(2000)001<0289:GCOSFS>2.0.CO;2
- Eckhardt, K. 2008. A comparison of baseflow indices, which were calculated with seven different baseflow separation methods. Journal of Hydrology 352(1): 168-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2008.01.005
- Gustard, A., A. Bullock, and J. M. Dixon, 1992. Low flow estimation in the United Kingdom. Institute of Hydrology.
- Haddeland, I., J. Heinke, H. Biemans, S. Eisner, M. Florke, N. Hanasaki and D. Wisser, 2014. Global water resources affected by human interventions and climate change. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 111(9): 3251-3256. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1222475110
- Hong, J. Y., K. J. Lim, Y. C. Shin, and Y. H. Jung, 2015. Quantifying Contribution of Direct Runoff and Baseflow to Rivers in Han River System, South Korea. Journal of Korea Water Resource Association 48(4): 309-319 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2015.48.4.309
- Kang, S. K., D. R. Lee, J. W. Moon, and S. J. Choi, 2010. Effects of Dams and Water Use on Flow Regime Alteration of the Geum River Basin. Journal of Korea Water Resource Association 43(4): 325-336 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2010.43.4.325
- Kumar, S. and V. Merwade, 2011. Evaluation of NARR and CLM3. 5 outputs for surface water and energy budgets in the Mississippi River Basin. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres (1984-2012), 116(D8).
- Lee, H. S., K. S. Park, S. H. Jung, and S. K. Choi, 2013. Catchment Similarity Assessment Based on Catchment Characteristics of GIS in Geum River Catchments, Korea. Journal of the Korean Society for Geo-Spatial Information System 21(3): 37-46 (in Korean)
- Lee, J. M., Y. Shin, Y. S. Park, D. Kum, K. J. Lim, S. O. Lee, H. Kim, and Y. Jung, 2014. Estimation and assessment of baseflow at an ungauged watershed according to landuse change. Journal of Wetlands Research 16(4): 303-318 (in Korean)
- Lee, J. W., H. S. Kim, and H. S. Woo, 1993 An Analysis of the Effect of Damming on Flow Duration Characteristics of Five Major Rivers in Korea. Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 13(3): 79-91 (in Korean).
- Lim, K. J., B. A. Engel, Z. Tang, J. Choi, K. S. Kim, S. Muthukrishnan, and D. Tripathy, 2005. Automated web gis based hydrograph analysis tool, WHAT1. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 1407-1416.
- Luo, Y., J. Jia, M. Shao, and L. Lin, 2012. Study on flood control planning and design for Comprehensive Improvement Project of Main-stream of Longganghe River. Water Resources and Hydropower Engineering 8: 015.
- Lyne, V.D. and M. Hollick, 1979. Stochastic Time-Variable RainfallRunoff Modeling. In: Hydro. and Water Resour. Symp. Institution of Engineers Australia, Perth, Australia: 89-92.
- Mason-Deese, W., J. F. Dowd and R. H. Cary, 2013. Comparison of Digital Filter Hydrograph Separation with Geochemical Separation.
- Nardo, M., M. Saisana, A. Saltelli, and S. Tarantola, 2005. Tools for composite indicators building. European Commission Joint Research Centre. Institute for the Protection and the Security of the Citizen, Econometrics and Statistical Support to Antifraud Unit, I-21020 Ispra (VA) Italy, Report number: EUR, 21682.
- Park, G., J. Y. Park, H. J. Shin, M. J. Park, and S. J. Kim, 2010. Impact of climate change on paddy water storage during storm periods. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 52(6): 27-37 (in Korean).
- Rutledge, A. T. 1998. Computer programs for describing the recession of ground-water discharge and for estimating mean ground-water recharge and discharge from streamflow records: Update. US Department of the Interior, US Geological Survey.
- Sato, K., K. Masuhara, S. Mochida, T. Yamamoto, H. Gotoh, and M. Takezawa, 2012. Flood control in small urban rivers: an example of river projects in Tokyo. Urban Water: 122.
- Schwartz, S. S., B. Smith, and M. McGuire, 2012. Baseflow Signatures of Sustainable Water Resources. Final Report to the Hughes Center for Agroecology, Queenstown, MD.
- Shin, M. H., J. A. Lee, S. U. Chen, Y. J. Lee, K. J. Lim, and J. D. Choi, 2010. Analysis of the Characteristics of NPS Runoff and Application of L-THIA model at Upper Daecheong Reservoir. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 52(1): 1-11 (in Korean).
- Stewart, M., J. Cimino, and M. Ross, 2007. Calibration of base flow separation methods with streamflow conductivity. Groundwater 45.1: 17-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6584.2006.00263.x
- Strauch, A. M., R. A., MacKenzie, C. P. Giardina, and G. L. Bruland, 2015. Climate driven changes to rainfall and streamflow patterns in a model tropical island hydrological system. Journal of Hydrology 523: 160-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.01.045
- Suriya, S. and Mudgal. B. V. 2012. Impact of urbanization on flooding: the Thirusoolam sub watershed-a case study. Journal of Hydrology 412: 210-219.
- Taylor, R. G., B. Scanlon, P. Doll, M. Rodell, R. Van Beek, Y. Wada, and H. Treidel, 2013. Ground water and climate change. Nature Climate Change 3(4): 322-329. https://doi.org/10.1038/nclimate1744
- Yoon, S. H. and J. H. Lee, 2004. Runoff Characteristics by Urbanization in the Mushim Stream Watershed using HECBMS. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 46(3): 43-54 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2004.46.3.043
- Zhang, Y., A. H. Arthington, S. E. Bunn, S. Mackay, J. Xia, and M. Kennard, 2012. Classification of flow regimes for environmental flow assessment in regulated rivers: the Huai River Basin, China. River Research and Applications 28(7): 989-1005. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.1483
- A Review of Baseflow Analysis Techniques of Watershed-Scale Runoff Models vol.58, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2016.58.4.075
Grant : 한국형 표토 침식 조사 평가 기술개발
Supported by : 국토교통부, 한국환경산업기술원