- Volume 49 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Development and Application of Drought Index Based on Accumulative Pattern of Daily Rainfall
일 단위 강수량의 누적 패턴을 이용한 가뭄지수 개발 및 적용
- Received : 2015.10.10
- Accepted : 2015.11.17
- Published : 2016.01.31
This study proposed a new drought index considering the accumulative pattern of daily rainfall, i.e., Rainfall Accumulation Drought Index (RADI). The RADI can be easily calculated at daily scale by comparing the long-term averaged cumulative rainfall to the observed cumulative rainfall for a specific duration. This study evaluated the availability of the RADI in the field of monitoring short-term and long-term droughts by investigating the spatial and temporal variability and the recurrence cycle of drought in South Korea. To present the short-term and long-term droughts, the various SPIs with different durations should be used in practice. However, the RADI can present and monitor both short-term and long-term droughts as a single index. By investigating the national average of the RADI, specific drought patterns of 20-year cycle were identified in this study. This study also proposed a five-level drought classification considering occurrence probability that would be a suitable alternative as a drought criterion for drought forecast/response.
accumulative pattern;daily rainfall;drought index
- Bae, D.-H., Sohn, K.-H., Kim, H.-K., Lee, J.-H., Lee, D.-R., Ahn, J.-H., and Kim, T.-W. (2013). "Standardization and evaluation of PDSI calculation method for Korean drought management agencies." Atmosphere, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 539-547. https://doi.org/10.14191/Atmos.2013.23.4.539
- Changnon, S.A. (1987). Detecting drought conditions in Illinois, Vol. 169, Illinois State Water Survey.
- Energy Economy (2015). "KMA, Provided wrong DDIs last 7 years." July 14.
- Korea Meterological Administration (KMA) (2014). Press release of meteorological characteristic (May, June, July, and August).
- Korea Meterological Administration (KMA) (2015). Press release of meteorological characteristic (May, June, and July).
- Korea Rural Community Corporation (KRCC) (2012). White paper on drought 2012.
- McKee, T.B., Doesken, N.J., and Kleist, J. (1993). "The relationship of drought frequency and duration to time scales." Proceedings of the 8th Conference on Applied Climatology, Boston, MA, USA, Vol. 17, No. 22, pp. 179-183.
- Meyer, S.J., Hubbard, K.G., and Wilhite, D.A. (1993). "A cropspecific drought index for corn: I. Model development and validation." Agronomy Journal, Vol. 85, No. 2, pp. 388-395. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1993.00021962008500020040x
- Ministry of Construction Transportation (MOCT) (2002). Research report on drought records in 2001.
- Narasimhan, B., and Srinivasan, R. (2005). "Development and evaluation of soil moisture deficit index (SMDI) and evapotranspiration deficit index (ETDI) for agricultural drought monitoring." Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, Vol. 133, No. 1, pp. 69-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2005.07.012
- Palmer, W.C. (1965). Meteorological drought (Vol. 30). Washington, DC, USA: US Department of Commerce, Weather Bureau.
- Palmer, W.C. (1968). "Keeping track of crop moisture conditions, nationwide: The new crop moisture index." Weatherwise, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 156-161. https://doi.org/10.1080/00431672.1968.9932814
- Shafer, B.A., and Dezman, L.E. (1982). "Development of a surface water supply index (SWSI) to assess the severity of drought conditions in snowpack runoff areas." Proceedings of the Western Snow Conference, Fort Collins, CO, Vol. 50, pp. 164-175.
- Shim, K.O., and Moon, S.Y. (2009). A study on the extreme drought countermeasures by climate changes. National Disaster Management Institute.
- Stahl, K. (2001). Hydrological drought - a study across Europe, Ph.D. Dissertation, Universitatsbibliothek Freiburg.
- Tallaksen, L.A., and van Lanen, H.A.J. (2004). Hydrological drought: Processes and estimation methods for streamflow and groundwater, Elsevier, The Netherlands.
- Tsakiris, G., and Vangelis, H. (2005). "Establishing a drought index incorporating evapotranspiration." European Water, Vol. 9, No. 10, pp. 3-11.
- Vicente-Serrano, S.M., Begueria, S., and Lopez-Moreno, J.I. (2010). "A multiscalar drought index sensitive to global warming: the standardized precipitation evapotranspiration index." Journal of Climate, Vol. 23, No. 7, pp. 1696-1718. https://doi.org/10.1175/2009JCLI2909.1
- Weghorst, K. (1996). "The reclamation drought index: guidelines and practical applications." North American Water and Environment Congress & Destructive Water, ASCE, pp. 637-642.
- Wilhite, D.A., and Glantz, M.H. (1985). "Understanding: the drought phenomenon: the role of definitions." Water International, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 111-120. https://doi.org/10.1080/02508068508686328
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 국토교통부