- Volume 17 Issue 1
This paper deals with the reliability analysis of design formulations derived for predicting the punching shear capacity of FRP-reinforced two-way slabs. Firstly, a new design code formulation was derived by means of gene expression programming. This formulation differs from the existing ones as the slab length (L) was introduced in the equation. Next, the proposed formulation was tested for its generalization capability by a parametric study. Then, the stochastic analyses of derived and existing formulations were performed by Monte Carlo simulation. Finally, the reliability analyses of these equations were carried out based on the results of stochastic analysis and the ultimate state function of ASCE-7 and ACI-318 (2011). The results indicate that the prediction performance of new formulation is significantly higher as compared to available design equations and its reliability index is within acceptable limits.
reliability;fiber reinforced polymer;RC slab;punching shear;structural safety;Monte Carlo simulation
- ACI 318 (2008), "Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (Aci 318-08) and Commentary", American Concrete Institute.
- ACI 440 (2006), "Guide for the Design and Construction of Concrete Reinforced with Frp Bars", (Aci 440.1 R-06) American Concrete Institute, Detroit, Michigan.
- ACI Committee. (2001), "Guide for the design and construction of concrete reinforced with FRP bars", American Concrete Institute.
- Ahmad, S.H., Zia, P., Yu, T.J. and Xie, Y. (1994), "Punching shear tests of slabs reinforced with 3-dimensional carbon fiber fabric", Concrete Int., 16(6), 36-41.
- Albegmprli, H.M., Cevik, A., Gulsan, M.E. and Kurtoglu, A.E. (2015), "Reliability analysis of reinforced concrete haunched beams shear capacity based on stochastic nonlinear FE analysis", Comput. Concrete, 15(2), 259-277. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.15.2.259
- Ang, A.H.S. and Cornell, C.A. (1974), "Reliability bases of structural safety and design", J. Struct. Dv., 100, (Proc. Paper 10777).
- ASCE (1998), Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures.
- Atadero, R.A. and Karbhari, V.M. (2008), "Calibration of resistance factors for reliability based design of externally-bonded FRP composites", Compos. Part B: Eng., 39(4), 665-679. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2007.06.004
- Banthia, N., Al-Asaly, M. and Ma, S. (1995), "Behavior of concrete slabs reinforced with fiber-reinforced plastic grid", J. Mater. Civ. Eng., 7(4), 252-257. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(1995)7:4(252)
- British Standards Institution, U. (1997), Structural Use of Concrete. Part I: Code of Practice for Design and Construction BS 8110.
- Cevik, A. (2007), "A new formulation for web crippling strength of cold-formed steel sheeting using genetic programming", J. Constr. Steel Res., 63(7), 867-883. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.08.012
- Cevik, A. (2007), "Genetic programming based formulation of rotation capacity of wide flange beams", J. Constr. Steel Res., 63(7), 884-893. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.09.004
- Cevik, A., Arslan, M.H. and Koroglu, M.A. (2010), "Genetic-programming-based modeling of RC beam torsional strength", J. Civ. Eng., 14(3), 371-384.
- El-Ghandour, A.W., Pilakoutas, K. and Waldron, P. (1999), "New approach for punching shear capacity prediction of fiber reinforced polymer reinforced concrete flat slabs", ACI Special Publication, 188.
- El-Ghandour, A.W., Pilakoutas, K. and Waldron, P. (2003), "Punching shear behavior of fiber reinforced polymers reinforced concrete flat slabs: experimental study", J. Compos. Constr., 7(3), 258-265. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2003)7:3(258)
- Ellingwood, B.R. and Ang, A.H. (1974), "Risk-based evaluation of design criteria", J. Struct. Dv., 100(9), 1771-1788.
- EN1990 (2002), Eurocode - Basis of Structural Design.
- Ferreira, C. (2001), "Gene expression programming: a new adaptive algorithm for solving problems", arXiv preprint cs/0102027.
- GangaRao, H.V., Taly, N. and Vijay, P. (2006), Reinforced Concrete Design with Frp Composites, CRC press.
- Gomes, H.M., Awruch, A.M. and Lopes, P.A.M. (2011), "Reliability based optimization of laminated composite structures using genetic algorithms and artificial neural networks", Struct. Saf., 33(3), 186-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2011.03.001
- Gulsan, M.E., Cevik, A. and Kurtoglu, A.E. (2015), "Stochastic finite element based reliability analysis of steel fiber reinforced concrete (Sfrc) corbels", Comput. Concrete, 15(2), 279-304. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.15.2.279
- Hasofer, A.M. and Lind, N.C. (1974), "Exact and invariant second-moment code format", J. Eng. Mech. Div., 100(1), 111-121.
- Hassan, M., Ahmed, E. and Benmokrane, B. (2013), "Punching-shear strength of normal and high-strength two-way concrete slabs reinforced with gfrp bars", J. Compos. Constr., 17(6), 04013003 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000424
- Hussein, A., Rashid, I. and Benmokrane, B. (2004), "Two-way concrete slabs reinforced with gfrp bars", Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures, Calgary, Alberta, July.
- ISO (1998), General Principles on Reliability for Structures, ISO Standard, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Kara, I.F., Ashour, A.F. and Koroglu, M.A. (2015), "Flexural behavior of hybrid FRP/steel reinforced concrete beams", Compos. Struct., 129(2015), 111-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.03.073
- Koroglu, M.A., Koken, A., Arslan, M.H. and Cevik, A. (2011), "Genetic programming based modeling of shear capacity of composite beams with profiled steel sheeting", Adv. Steel Constr., 7(2), 157-172.
- Lee, J.H., Yoon, Y.S., Cook, W.D. and Mitchell, D. (2009), "Improving punching shear behavior of glass fiber-reinforced polymer reinforced slabs", ACI Struct. J., 106(4), 427-434.
- Mahroug, M.E.M., Ashour, A.F. and Lam, D. (2014), "Tests of continuous concrete slabs reinforced with carbon fibre reinforced polymer bars", Compos. Part B: Eng., 66, 348-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2014.06.003
- Matthys, S. and Taerwe, L. (2000), "Concrete Slabs Reinforced with Frp Grids. I: One-Way Bending", J. Compos. Constr., 4(3), 145-153. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2000)4:3(145)
- Matthys, S. and Taerwe, L. (2000), "Concrete Slabs Reinforced with Frp Grids. Ii: Punching Resistance", J. Compos. Constr., 4(3), 154-161. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2000)4:3(154)
- Metwally, I.M. (2013), "Prediction of punching shear capacities of two-way concrete slabs reinforced with FRP bars", HBRC J., 9(2), 125-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hbrcj.2013.05.009
- Mirza, S.A. and MacGregor, J.G. (1976), A Statistical Study of Variables Affecting the Strength of Reinforced Normal Weight Concrete Members, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Alberta.
- Nguyen-Minh, L. and Rovnak, M. (2012), "Punching Shear Resistance of Interior Gfrp Reinforced Slab-Column Connections", J. Compos. Constr., 17(1), 2-13.
- Nowak, A.S. and Collins, K.R. (2012), Reliability of Structures, CRC Press.
- Okeil, A.M., El-Tawil, S. and Shahawy, M. (2002), "Flexural reliability of reinforced concrete bridge girders strengthened with carbon fiber-reinforced polymer laminates", J. Bridge Eng., 7(5), 290-299. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2002)7:5(290)
- Ospina, C.E., Alexander, S.D. and Cheng, J.R. (2003), "Punching of two-way concrete slabs with fiberreinforced polymer reinforcing bars or grids", ACI Struct. J., 100(5), 589-598.
- Sonebi, M. and Cevik, A. (2009), "Genetic programming based formulation for fresh and hardened properties of self-compacting concrete containing pulverised fuel ash", Constr. Build. Mater., 23(7), 2614-2622. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2009.02.012
- Strauss, A., Mordini, A. and Bergmeister, K. (2006), "Nonlinear finite element analysis of reinforced concrete corbels at both deterministic and probabilistic levels", Comput. Concrete, 3(2-3), 123-144. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2006.3.2_3.123
- Tanyildizi, H. and Cevik, A. (2010), "Modeling mechanical performance of lightweight concrete containing silica fume exposed to high temperature using genetic programming", Constr. Build. Mater., 24(12), 2612-2618. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.05.001
- Zaghloul, A. (2003), "Punching Behavior of Cfrp Reinforced Concrete Flat Plate", Proceeding of the International Conference Composites in Construction, Cosenza, Italy.
- Zhang, Q. (2006), Behaviour of Two-Way Slabs Reinforced with Cfrp Bars, Ann Arbor, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada.
- 1. Analysis of punching shear in high strength RC panels-experiments, comparison with codes and FEM results vol.17, pp.6, 2016, doi:10.12989/cac.2016.17.1.087
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Gaziantep University