- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Lumbar Herniated Disc Resorption of 78 Patients after Korean Medicine Treatment
요추 추간판 탈출증 환자 78명의 한방치료 후 디스크 재흡수 증례 보고
- Jung, Bum-Hwan ;
- Jo, Joo-Hyun ;
- Yoon, Yong-Il ;
- Park, Sang-won ;
- Kim, Sung-Moon ;
- Go, Ung ;
- Jung, Jin-soo ;
- Kim, Jung-Hoon ;
- Huh, Suk-Won ;
- Kim, Ji-Won ;
- Kim, Moon-Hwi
- Received : 2015.11.30
- Accepted : 2015.12.04
- Published : 2016.01.31
Objectives To analyze the resorption of herniated lumbar intervertebral disc on MRI in patients who were treated with Korean Medicine. Methods 78 patients with lumbar disc herniation were included, 47 males and 32 females. Patients' diagnosis was based on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). All of the patients were only treated with Korean Medicine for 6 months treatment, and underwent MRI examination twice, pre-treatment and post-treatment. MR images were assessed by reduction in diameter of T2-weighted image between pre-treatment and post-treatment, and analyzed by differences in sex, age and disc type. Results 91.2% (71 people) of total patients had extrusion type. Korean medicine treatment reduced lumbar disc herniation diameter of all the patients from 7.11 mm to 3.67 mm on average (p<0.001). The reduction of diameter in the male group was 3.52 mm on average. The reduction of diameter in the female group was 3.32 mm on average. The reduction of diameter was 3.28 mm in the group below age 29, 3.88 mm in the 30~39 age group, 3.39 mm in the 40~49 age group, and 2.71 mm in the above 50 age group on average. Conclusions The MRI results suggest that lumbar herniated disc can resorb with Korean Medicine treatment. The likelihood of lumbar disc resorption was higher at extrusion type. but there was not a significant difference between the sexes and between ages.
Disc resorption;Korean Medicine;Lumbar disc heriation
- Weber H. Lumbar disc herniation. A controlled, prospective study with ten years of observation. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 1983; 8: 131-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198303000-00003
- Park WS, Ha IH, Kwon HJ, Woo I, Yoon YS, Song JH. MRI Follow-up Study of 4 Lumbar HIVD Patients after Conservative Oriental Medical Treatment. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2007;17(4):269-80.
- Chun-Chieh Chiu, Tai-Yuan Chuang, Kwang-Hwa Chang, Chien-Hua Wu, Po-Wei Lin, Wen-Yen Hsu. The probability of sp[ontaneous regression of lumbar herniated disc: a systemic review. Clinical Rehabilitation 2015, Vol. 29(2) 184-95. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215514540919
- Kwon HJ, Jung HC, Kim HJ, Park YH, Keum DH, Lee MJ. Clinical Study for Patients with Lumbar Disc Herniation on Change of Magnetic Resonanse Imaging after Conservative Treatment. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2009;19(3):81-90.
- Jun BC, Kim ES, Kim DS, Kim TH, Kim JY. Effectiveness of ShinBaro Pharmacopuncture on Lumbar Spinal Herniated Intervertebral Disc : A Randomized Controlled Trial. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves 2011;6(2):109-19.
- Ahn SG, Lee SR, Yang YS. The Treatise Research on Hua-Tuo-Jia-Ji-Xue. The journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2000;17(4):139-48.
- Jarvik JJ, Hollingworth W, Heagerty P, Haynor DR, Deyo RA. The Longitudinal Assessment of Imaging and Disability of the Back(LAIDBack) Study: baseline data. Spine. 2001;26(10):1158-66. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200105150-00014
- Fardon DF, Milette PC. Nomenclature and classification of lumbar disc pathology. Recommendations of the Combined task Forces of the North American Spine Society, American Society of Spine Radiology, and American Society of Neuroradiology. Spine 2001;26(5): 93-113. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200103010-00006
- Mohamed Macki, Marta Hernandez-Hermann, Mohamed Bydon, Aaron Gokaslan, Kelly McGovern, Ali Bydon. Spontaneous regression of sequestrated lumbar disc herniation: Literature review. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery 2014;120:136-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clineuro.2014.02.013
- Alessandra Splendiani, Edoardo Puglielli, Rosanna De Amicis, Antonio Barile, Carlo Masciocchi, Massimo Gallucci. Spontaneous resolution of lumbar disk herniation: predictive signs for prognotic evaluation. Neuroradiology 2004;46:916-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00234-004-1232-0
- Kwon HJ, Park YH. Clinical Study for Patients with Lumbar Disc Herniation on Change of Magnetic Resonance Imaging at One Year after Conservative Treatment. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2011; 21(2):253-63.