- Volume 6 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Moderating Effects of Personality Types on the Relationships between Self-Efficacy and Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention: Using of Sample Transportation Service Workers
성격유형, 직무만족, 이직의도와 자기효능감의 조절효과: 운수서비스종사자를 중심으로
- Noh, KyungMun (Colledge of Business Administration, Konkuk University) ;
- Kwon, Kiwook (Colledge of Business Administration, Konkuk University) ;
- Oh, Se Hyung (Colledge of Business Administration, Konkuk University) ;
- Ryou, Hyo Sang (Hospitality Business School, Sookmyung Women's University)
- Received : 2015.10.29
- Accepted : 2016.01.15
- Published : 2016.01.31
This study explores the moderating effects of personality types (Big'5) influence on the relationship between job satisfaction and turnover intension using dispositional approach. In order for that, we surveyed for employees of 4 service's company and 430 samples were used for empirical study. According to result, extroversion and conscientiousness among personality types had significant positive effects on job satisfaction. And agreeableness and conscientiousness had negative effects on turnover intention. but extroversion and conscientiousness had positive effects on turnover intention. Self-efficacy had interactive effects on the relationship between personality type and job satisfaction. but it influenced only agreeableness. The self-efficacy had moderating effects agreeableness on the relationship between personality type and turnover intention.
Personality;Self-efficacy;Moderator Effect;Job Satisfaction;Turnover Intention;Service Worker
Supported by : 건국대학교
- Aiken, L. S., & West, S. G. (1991), Multiple regression: Testing and interpreting interactions. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Alderfer, C. P. (1977), A Critique of Salancik and Pfeffer's Examination of Need-Satisfaction Theories, Administrative Science Quarterly, 22(4), 658-669. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392407
- Allen, D. G. and Griffeth, R. W. (2001), Test of a mediated performance-turnover relationship highlighting the moderating roles of visibility and reward contingency, Journal of Applied Psychology, 86, 1014-1021. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.5.1014
- Arvey, R. D., Bouchard, T. J., Segal, N. L., and Abraham, L. M. (1989), Job satisfaction: Environmental and genetic components, Journal of Applied Psychology, 74, 187-192. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.74.2.187
- Bandura, A. (1986), Social Foundations of Thought and Action, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall.
- Bandura, A. (1997), Self-efficacy: The exercise of control, NY: W. H. Freemand and Company.
- Baron, R. M. and Kenny D. A. (1986), The Moderator-Mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- Barrick, M. R. and Mount, M. K. (1991), The Big Five Personality Dimensions and Job Performance: A Meta-Analysis, Personnel Psychology, 44, 1-26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1991.tb00688.x
- Batt, R. (2002), Managing customer services: Human resource practices, quit rates, and sales growth, Academy of Management Journal, 45, 587-597. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069383
- Bernardin, H. J. (1977), The relationship of personality variables to organizational withdrawal, Personal Psychology, 30, 17-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1977.tb02317.x
- Bluedorn, A. C. (1982), A unified model of turn over from organizations, Human Relations, 35, 135-153. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872678203500204
- Borucki, C. C. and Burke, M. J. (1999), An examination of service-related antecedents to retail store performance, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 20, 943-962. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199911)20:6<943::AID-JOB976>3.0.CO;2-9
- Bowen, D. E. (1990), Interdisciplinary study of service: Some progress, some prospects, Journal of Business Research, 20, 71-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(90)90044-E
- Bruk-Lee, V., Khoury, H. A., Nixon, A. E., Goh, A., and Spector, P. E. (2009), Replicating and extending past personality/job satisfaction metaanalysis, Human Performance, 22, 156-189. https://doi.org/10.1080/08959280902743709
- Campbell, J. D. (1990), Self-esteem and clarity of the self-concept, Journal of Personality and Social psychology, 59, 538-549. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1248
- Choe, Y. J. (2011), The influence of individual characteristics upon job stress and job satisfaction : Focusing on skin care workers, Seokyung University, Master's thesis.
- Costa, P. T. Jr. and McCrae, R. R. (1992), Revised NEO personality inventory(NEO PI-R) and NEO five-factor inventory(NEO FFI) professional manual, Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources.
- Davis-Blake, A. and Pfeffer, J. (1989), Just a mirage: The search for dispositional effects in organizational research, Academy of Management Review, 14, 385-400. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1989.4279071
- Digman, J. M. (1990), Personality Structure: Emergernce of the five Factor Model, Annual Review of Psychology, 41, 417-440. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ps.41.020190.002221
- Elangovan, A. R., Xie, J. L. (1999), Effects of perceived power of supervisor on subordinate stress and motivation: The moderating role of subordinate characteristics Journal of Organizational Behavior, 20(3), 359-373. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199905)20:3<359::AID-JOB902>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Furnham, A., Eracleous, A., and Chamorro-remuzic, T. (2009), Personality, motivation and job satisfaction: Hertzberg meets the Big Five. J. Man. Psych., 24(8), 765-779. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940910996789
- Ganzach, Y. (1998), Intelligence and job satisfaction, Academy of Management Journal, 41, 526-539. https://doi.org/10.2307/256940
- Gerhart, B. (1987), How important are dispositional factors as determinants of job satisfaction? Implications for job design and other personal programs, Journal of Applied Psychology, 72(3), 366-373. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.72.3.366
- Gilmer, B. H. (1966), Industrial Psychology, Tokyo: McGrew-Hill Kogakuha.
- Gosling, S. D., RentFrow, P. J., Swann, W. B. (2003), A very brief measure of the Big-Five personality domains, Journal of Research in Personality, 37(6), 504-528. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-6566(03)00046-1
- Griffeth, R. W., Hom, P. W., and Gaertner, S. (2000), A meta-analysis of antecedents and correlates of employee turnover: Update, moderator tests, and research implications for the next millenium, Journal of Management, 26, 463-488.
- Han, Y. R. (2007), A Study on the Effects of Emotional Intelligence(EI) and Personality Type (MBTI) upon Job Satisfaction of the Hotel Employee at the Service Encounter: Focused on Deluxe Hotels in Seoul, Ewha Womans University, The Graduate School of Education, Master's thesis.
- Heoh, S. Y. (2010), Influence of Characteristic Trait in Beauty-Salon Employees upon Service Orientation and Job Satisfaction, Seokyung university, Master's thesis.
- Hoppock, R. (1935), Job satisfaction, Oxford, England: Harper.
- Hui, L. and Lee, C. (2000), Moderating effects of organization-based self-esteem on organizational uncertainty: Employee response relationships, Journal of Management, 26(2), 215-232.
- Ilies, R., Fulmer, I. S., Spitzmuller, M., and Johnson, M. D. (2009), Personality and citizenship behavior: The mediating role of job satisfaction. Journal of Applied Psychology, 94, 945-959. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0013329
- Jones, G. M. (1986), Socialization Tactics, Self-Efficacy, and Newcomers' Adjustments to Organizations, Academy of Management Journal, 29(2), 262-279. https://doi.org/10.2307/256188
- Judge, T. A, Jackson, C. L., Shaw, J. C., Scott, B. A., and Rich, B. L. (2007), Self-efficacy and work related performance: The integral role of individual differences, Journal of Applied Psychology, 92, 107-127. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.92.1.107
- Judge, T. A., Heller, D., and Mount, M. K. (2002), Five-factor model of personality and job satisfaction: A meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87, 530-541. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.87.3.530
- Kang, J. A. and Lee, Y. H. (2005), "A Study on the Effect of the Mentoring Function on the Mentee's Career Committment and Turnover Intention : Moderating Effect of Self - Efficacy", Korean Academy of Organization and Management, 29(2), 255-281.
- Kang, Y. S. (2006), "A Study on Influence of Job Satisfaction upon Self-Efficacy of Social Workers", Korean association of Social Welfare Policy, 26, 124-148.
- Kim, A. K. (1996), "The effects of metacognition training on children's attributional style, selfefficacy and ability of solving mathematical problem", Won Kwang University, Ph.D Thesis.
- Kim, H. I. and Lee, E. J. (2013), "A Study on the Effects of Baker's Self-efficiency on Job Attitude, Turnover Intentions", The Korean FoodService Aassociation, 9(2), 85-96.
- Kim, J. J. (2009), "A Study on Job Satisfaction and Customer-Oriented Attitude of Employees Using a 5-Factor Model", Soongsil University, Master's thesis.
- Kim, J. M. (2007), "A Study of the Impact of Emotional dissonance on Psychological wellbeing and Job satisfaction according to the sales person personality -Focus on difference demographic characteristics and store type characteristics in the jewerly industry", Graduate School of Kyunggi University, Ph.D Thesis.
- Kim, K. S. (2007), "Relationship of Enneagram Personality Types and Job Satisfaction Depended on Job Performance Types of Hotel", The Academy of Korea Hospitality & Tourism 9(4), 272-287.
- Kim, M. H. (2002), "Relation between MBTI personality type and job-satisfaction of the workers at international brand franchise family restaurants", Graduate School of Tourism Sciences of Kyunggi University, Master's thesis.
- Kim, N. J., Kang, B. S., You, K. W. (2002), "Study of the Effect of Service Employees' Role Ambiguity on Employees' Customer Orientation", Korean Academic Society of Business Administration, 31(5), 1165-1183.
- Kim, S. Y. and Jeon, H. W. (2008), "Effects of hotel employee's personality on job involvement and Career involvement - Focused on Big 5 personality-", The Academic Society of Tourism Management, 23(2), 239-257.
- Kim, S. M. (2008), "Effects of Job Embeddedness and Role Stressors of Hotel Employees on Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention", Graduate School Graduate School of Dongguk University, Ph.D Thesis.
- Kim, S. K., Lee, Y. J., Park, K. H. (1998), "The Impacts of Gender on the Relationship between Employees's Career Planning and Its Related Variables", Korean Academy of Management, 6(2), 161-194.
- Kim, Y. S. (2007), "A Study for Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment of Social worker's Depending on Psychological Typer -Based on MBTI Preference Index", The Graduate School of Public Administration Hanyang University, Master's thesis.
- Kooij, D. T., Jansen, P., Dikkers, J., and Lange, A. (2010), The influence of age on the associations between HR practices and both affective commitment and job satisfaction: A meta-analysis, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 31, 1111-1136. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.666
- Kwon, K., Kim K. H., Kim J. I. (2012), "High Performance Work Systems and Organizational Commitment: A Mediating Role of Organizational Justice", Korean Academy of Organization and Management, 36(2), 61-84.
- Kwon, K., Chung, K., Roh, H., Chadwick, C., and Lawler, J. (2012), The moderating effects of organizational context on the relationship between voluntary turnover and organizational performance: Evidence from Korea, Human Resource Management, 51, 47-70. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.20433
- Landau, J. and Hammer, T. H. (1986), Clerical employees' perceptions of inter organizational career opportunities, Academy of Management Journal, 29, 385-404. https://doi.org/10.2307/256194
- Lee, C. E. and Lee J. Y. (2010), "Relation Among Big 5 Personality Factors, Job Involvement and Customer Orientation of Hotel Employees", The Korea Contents Association, 10(7), 386-395.
- Lee, E. Y. (2003), "A Study of the Turnover Intention Factors on Kitchen Employees in the Hotel Industry", The Graduate School of Tourism Kyung Hee University , Master's thesis.
- Lee, I. S. and Jeon, M. K. (2005), "A Relationships between Trusts in Organization and Organizational Performance", Sogang University Institute for Business Research, 16-2, 227-250.
- Lee, S. J. (2011), "A Study on The Relationship of Individual Traits, Emotional Labor Strategy, Job Satisfaction of Beauty Service Employees", Graduate School of Engineering Konkuk University, Master's thesis.
- Lee, T. W. and Mowday, R. T. (1987), Voluntarily leaving an organization: An empirical investigation of Steers and Mowdays model of turnover, Acadmy of Managmeent Journal, 30, 721-743.
- Liao, H. and Chuang, A. (2004), Multilevel investigation of factors influencing employee service performance and customer outcomes, Academy of Management Journal, 47, 41-58. https://doi.org/10.2307/20159559
- Lim, H. C. (2010), A Study on the Relationships between HEXACO Personality Model of Employees and Organizational Performances: Focused on the Moderating Effect of Perceived Organizational Support and the Mediating Effect of Job Autonomy, Yeungnam University, Graduate School of Business Administration, Ph.D Thesis.
- Locke, A. E. (1976), The Nature and Causes of Job Satisfaction, in Marvin D. Dunnette ed., Handbook of Industrial Organizational Psychology, Chicago, Rand Mcnally College Publishing Co.
- Loher, B. T., Noe, R. A., Moeller, N. L., and Fitzgerald, M. P. (1985), A meta-analysis of the relation of job characteristics to job satisfaction, Journal of Applied Psychology, 70, 280-289. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.70.2.280
- March, G. and Simon, H. A. (1958), Organizations, New York: John Wiley & Son.
- Min, S., Kim, H. S., Ha, Y. J. (2010), "The Controlling Effect of the Self-Efficacy in the Job Stress of Hospital Nurse on Job Satisfaction, Turnover Intention", The Korean Academic Association of Business Administration, 84, 1-21.
- Mobley, W. H. (1982), Some Unanswered Questions in Turnover and Withdrawal Research, Academy of Management Review, 7(1), no. 1, 111-116. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1982.4285493
- Panatick, S. A., O'Driscoll, M. P., Anderson, M. H. (2011), Job demands and work-related psychological responses among Malaysian technical workers: The moderating effects of self-efficacy, Work & Stress, 25(4), 355-370. https://doi.org/10.1080/02678373.2011.634282
- Park, S. H. (2013), "Effects of the Hotel Worker Personality Type on the Subjective Performance of the Company: With a center of control effect of self-efficacy", The Graduate School of Tourism Kyung Hee University, Master's thesis.
- Payne, S. C. and Webber, S. S. (2006), Service provider attitudes and employment status on citizenship behavior and customers' attitudes and loyalty behavior, Journal of Applied Psychology, 91, 365-378. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.2.365
- Said Echchakoui (2013), Personality Traits and Performance: The Mediating Role of Adaptive Behavior in Call Centers, American Journal of Industrial and Business Management, 3, 17-27. https://doi.org/10.4236/ajibm.2013.31003
- Salgado, J. F., Anderson, N., Moscoso, S., Bertua, C., de Fruyt, F., and Rolland, J. P. (2003b), A meta-analytic study of general mental ability validity for different occupations in the European Community, Journal of Applied Psychology, 88, 1068-1081. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.6.1068
- Schmit, M. and Allscheid, S. (1995), Employee attitudes and customer satisfaction: Making theoretical and empirical connections, Personnel Psychology, 48, 521-536. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1995.tb01768.x
- Shaw, J. D., Gupta, N., and Delery, J. E. (2005), Alternative conceptualizations of the relationship between voluntary turnover and organizational performance, Academy of Management Journal, 48, 50-68. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2005.15993112
- Smith, H. C. (1955), Psychology of Industrial Behavior, New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Staw, B. M., Bell, N. E., and Clausen, J. A. (1986), The dispositional approach to to job attitudes: A lifetime longitudinal test, Administrative Science Quarterly, 31, 56-77. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392766
- Steers, R. M. and Mowday, R. T. (1981), Employee turnover and post-decision accommodation processes, In L. L. Cummings & B. M. Staw (Eds.), Research in organizational behavior, 3. Greenwich, Conn.: JAI Press.
- Trevor, C. O. (2001), Interactions among actual ease-of-movement determinants and job satisfaction in the prediction of voluntary turnover, Academy of Management Journal, 44, 621-638. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069407
- Wanous, J. P., Reichers, A. E., and Hudy, M. J. (1997), Overall job satisfaction: How good are single-item measures?, Journal of Applied Psychology, 82, 247-252. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.82.2.247
- Yoon, K. M. (2008), "A study on the satisfaction and stresses of job depends upon the employee's character type in the travel agency", Graduate School of Kyonggi University, Ph.D Thesis.
- Zimmerman, R. D. (2008), Understanding the impact of personality traits on individuals' turnover decisions: a meta-analytic path model, Personnel Psychology, 61(2), 309-348. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2008.00115.x